Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:21 AM

341 posts, read 500,269 times

Advertisements

I was prompted to rewatch the series on DVD. A lot of fun but VERY camp, dated computers and you worry that Lyle will suffer polyester poisoning. Still, Lynda is the most beautiful woman EVER! 2 and 3 infinitely better than 1, the costume a huge improvement if nothing else.
Actually dealt with some pretty heavy issues, terrorism, biological warfare, the Cold War, nuclear power/proliferation, the shameful internment of the Japanese Americans during WW2 (one of the first shows to deal with that, preceeding Magnum). The best ep is the last, the Phantom of the Rollercoaster dealing with a traumatized Vietnam veteran deformed by napalm, not just a kids show.
Inspired by my rewatch, a few more things I'd like to see if there's a new series;
What I want to see in a new WW series;
1. Recurring roles for Lynda, Lyle and maybe Debra Winger
2. Nazis
3. A scene where someone walks into her invisible plane and bumps their head.
4. A scene where WW's own lasso of truth is used against her and she confesses some embarrassing deep dark desires
5. A scene where someone comments on Steve Trevor's propensity to get knocked out
6. An ep where she loses her ability to transform into WW and has to solve the case as Diana Prince
7. An ep where we meet her evil double who dresses in an black S&M version of the WW costume (and has a whip)
8. Underwater, skateboarding, horseriding and motorcycling versions of the outfit
9. A musical
10. An evil(?) Amazon who wants women to take over the world and rule it as a matriarchy
11. Some form of Xena/Gabby reference
12. A scene where WW goes to a bordello/stripclub and everyone assumes she's a hooker/stripper in a WW outfit. As she leaves she walks past a real hooker/stripper in a copy of her costume
13. An ep where she visits a sci-fi convention, accidentally enters a WW lookalike contest and is disappointed at coming 3rd (a la Elvis and Charlie Chaplin). Be cool if they could get DS9's Rene Auberjois to guest as he did in a similar ep in the 70s.
14. An ep where WW turns evil and the Diana Prince side of her personality breaks away to fight her (and yes I've been watching Superman 3)
15. An ep where she get's pregnant. Even Lynda Carter comments that she's lacking children in her life as indeed all the Amazons do
16. Diana should have a gay male friend/neighbour who's a huge WW fan, think Jack from Will&Grace
17. Steve Trevor should go to Paradise Island and get mobbed Beatlemania style by hordes of man-deprived Amazons (think Xander in the Buffy ep BBB)
18. Someone should mock her 'granny pants' and persuade her to try on patriotic thongs instead.
19. Diana should lose her glasses and worry people will recognise her but no one does
20. A few sequals to the 70s eps. Maybe Gault's brain is still kicking around looking for a body? How about a sequal to the 'Fine Art of Crime' where she gets turned into a statue again but gets released when some crazed WW fan steals the bracelet off the WW 'mannequin' on display. What happened to the fake robot WW she left knocked out on the floor in The Deadly Toys? (although if you could make a convincing fake robot WW you'd wonder why you needed to bother with crime, just sell them?). Love to meet the little girl with superpowers again all grown up plus 'The boy who knew her secret' again
21. An ep where Steve get's her superpowers (as was rumoured for Buffy/Xander)
22. Cameos from other DC superheros and especially villains, too often in the 70s show she's up against just some bland generic criminal in a bad suit
23. We see her returning to Paradise Island after WW2 and the 70s
24. Someone mocks her outfit telling her 'The 4th of July is over honey'
25. An ep where she loses her memory
And of course, plenty of roles for Joss Whedon alumni!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 09:24 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Wow....you really gave this a lot of thought!

Old 11-02-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Wow....you really gave this a lot of thought!
I normally do....

Old 11-02-2010, 12:32 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
I wouldn't like this series, or any other, to come back in a more modern format, with new actors etc. I think writers should come up with new ideas instead of "recycling" old series!

Old 11-02-2010, 01:23 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
wonder woman in her invisible bathroom
death
blood
killing
sex
gore

Old 11-02-2010, 05:45 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Considering modern superhero series I think you would need to make it action-packed and relatively dark. Wonder Woman would remain mythic, but maybe concentrate on some of the tragic qualities of Greek myth. From what I remember of "Justice League" she could deal with feelings of abandonment and cultural confusion. Also she would be kind-of feminist, but not necessarily doctrinaire feminist. She likes strong powerful women, and hates abuse of women, but is maybe not wedded to any particular ideology on all that. She might even be "conservative" on some things (nobody better dare remove statues of Athena on government property, what drunks these days don't know what Bacchanalia means!), and find men amusing.

Also lots of action. In particular maybe the villains have planes so there would be lots of dog-fights in the air and things. You also need explosions. As it's not in space, I presume, they can be loud explosions without problems. And there needs to be a lab with quirky character, almost every hit show seems to have a quirky lab these days. (NCIS, CSI, etc)

I suppose you could also try to fit with the original spirit by having a fair amount about large sexy women dominating men. The creator of "Wonder Woman" was actually pretty kinky, for real. I always thought people were being dirty-minded about the lasso that makes you tell the truth, but no I guess he had some kind of "thing" about getting tied up.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 11-02-2010 at 05:54 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 10:15 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
Broadcast in 3D.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:21 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,577,726 times
One where Wonder Woman has an actually curvy body. Lynda Carter is/was a hard standard to live up to. Please no heroin chic. Give her meat!

Old 11-03-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywatcher75 View Post
One where Wonder Woman has an actually curvy body. Lynda Carter is/was a hard standard to live up to. Please no heroin chic. Give her meat!
Yes, she should be statuesque and super-voluptuous, Pamela Anderson (but a better actress, obviously) rather than Kate Moss.

Hollywood is very adverse to new ideas nowadays (and too obsessed with reality crap!) so WW's huge fanbase could guarantee it a greenlight that an original series wouldn't get.

Not sure I want death and gore but some sex would be nice, WW should have a lover or at least go on some dates, male or female (and preferrably both!)

WW's creator actually invented the lie detector (hence the lasso) but was also a bondage fetishist who liked both being dominated by and dominating women (you can see that in the 70s series, there isn't an ep where she doesn't get knocked out/hypnotised/turned into a robot double/transformed into a living waxwork etc). To be fair to him his sexual tastes didn't stop him being pro-feminist, he had a woman saving the word and even becoming US president at a time where they were normally still making the coffee and needing to be rescued in comics.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:19 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Tig old bitties. That is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV