Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 08:19 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,173,713 times

Advertisements

This is currently playing on some channel called Current. Ewan McGregor and a buddy drive motorcycles from London, across Europe, Russia, Kazakastan, Mongoloia, Siberia, fly to Alaska and then drive to New York.
I think this is from 2004 but I'm just seeing it. I'm not necessarily a huge motorcycle fan or even a McGregor fan but I found it sort of enjoyable to watch. Especially the Road of Bones part (1) because of the struggle, and (2) because you get to see a bit of how things are in Siberia.
I think its always fun to see celebs in a more natural environment - McGregor camping, dirty, exposing his mosquito bit butt cheeks

Apparently there is also a Long Way Down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 08:22 AM

29,672 posts, read 34,184,451 times
I watched Long Way Round several years ago, and got Long Way Down, where they travel from the northernmost part of Scotland to South Africa over the summer from Netflix. They're both really fun series. I think Ewan and Charley had talked about doing a trip through North and South America, but they're so grueling and there's so much time away from their families that it probably won't happen.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:32 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,153,778 times
I remember he did this a few years ago. He's a cool guy!

Old 12-15-2010, 12:17 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,271,712 times
I really enjoyed both, but I thought the first one was better as it dealt more with the journey whereas the second one focused a lot more on the destinations. Having been on some really long road trips myself, I felt like I understood a lot of what they were going through and could relate to many of the situations.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:52 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,613,383 times
People had told me about this for years and I always brushed it off. Finally at some point last year, I took the plunge and got the 3 extended edition box set of LWR, LWD and Race to Dakar.

I ended up as a huge fan and inspired a new interest in adventure motorcycling. I've seen all series now 2-3 times and also bought all the books too.

In addition Charley Boorman did 2 great series called "By Any Means" which he travels from London to Sydney in the 1st one and Sydney to Tokyo in the next one. The set up is he travels by any means using all sorts of relevant local transportation.

A lot of people didn't like Long Way Down as much and I think for me, it was the 1st 3rd of it that didn't work well due to the tight scheduling, but once they got into Sudan and beyond it was really good.

Long Way Up is reportedly in pre production for next year according to Boorman.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:39 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,041,852 times
I was REALLY impressed by how down to earth both of these guys were and since that ride has always been a dream of mine too,I lived it vicariously in my nice warm house

Old 01-03-2012, 09:25 AM

43,854 posts, read 50,964,303 times
I watched BOTH of these while I had the flu before Christmas. (They are both on Youtube.) Really fun viewing. I wish they would make another one.

Ewan McGregor is just.........cute....really cute.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:23 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,613,383 times
Long Way Up didn't happen and I have a strong suspicion it might be a good while before it ever does. I have a feeling they are not as big as buddies as they used to be and have grown apart. Charley seems to have settled into his new career making TV docos and appearances as well as leading motorcycle tours and Ewan has settled into his movie career.

Charley Boorman did a series that aired over in the UK this month that was pretty good. Extreme Frontiers Canada is what it is called and he rides across Canada experiencing everything Canada has to offer. I really enjoyed it and am going to watch it again soon. Here is the first part to get anyone started that is interested. Enjoy.

X F (S01.E01) - 1/3 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV