Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 10:43 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
here is a fun question:

is redemption island actually an island?
I wondered about that too. Jeff tells the people voted off to go there and then we see them arriving but we never see how they get there. If it's an island where's the boat? It looks like they walk over to it.

I don't know who I want to see leave first; Phillip or Matt. If Matt thought God would annoint him the winner, he is just as crazy as Phillip who thinks he is God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 12:05 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,780 times
RI is not an Island. Just another camp with an arena attached.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:28 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Can't blame him for using the race card?? I sure can. There was absolutely no need for that. He just had to stoop to the lowest level because he was so angry and frustrated. I CAN agree with that. Those former Zapatera members are keeping a line distinctly drawn in the sand. I did agree with Phillip wanting to put the rice all into "their" container and them being a$$holes about it.

I hope when their rice runs out, the rest of the tribe tells them to go pound sand when it comes to sharing food. I know I sure would.
I was talking about Matt not Phillip.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
again.........I think she was referring to Matt
Thank you. Yes, I was referring to Matt. I didn't even mention Phillip in my post so not sure why people think I was referring to him.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Has there ever been more of a one-note bore on this show than Matt? Please, God, prove yourself and get rid of this clown.
How do we know he's a "one-note bore?" He's always on Redemption Island! Maybe he IS boring, but I don't think we've seen enough of him to know this.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:03 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I actually had some empathy for Phillips reaction to be called 'crazy'.

For one, mentally disturbed people do not like to be called crazy.

Secondly, Phillip mentioned the Richard Pryor album "That N...'s Crazy". Pryor did not 'make up' that phrase: it was a common 'punchline' to various racist jokes back in the day.

As a youth in the early 1960s I frequently saw cartoons using the phrase (one I recall was an African-American man, of course with exaggerated lips, 'Sambo' features, etc., whose hair was on fire and was depicted running like mad around his yard, while two 'good ol' boys' stood by watching and declaring 'That N...'s crazy!"). You can also hear the phrase used in old radio recordings (I do not recall specifically if Amos and Andy used it, but I rather think they did, although it would have been one African-American using it towards another; remember, the actors were all white).

Anyway, Pryor (as was characteristic) took the phrase and tried to 'dilute' it and make people laugh at the usage of it.

I agree that the football player (I do not recall his name) was probably not using the word 'crazy' in any racial way, but, again, I am not totally surprised that an older man such as Phillip took some offense to it, since it was obviously aware of its history (by citing Pryor).
Phillip and his "excuse" is total BS! Steve took the blame for saying crazy but what set Phillip on the race card tangent was when Steve said,"lunatic". Yet that was never mentioned. Anyway as I have no desire to delve into the psychological problems of CRAZY Phllip because there are too many issues there and I frankly don't care enough about him or his BS reasons that HE believes he is entitled to call people racist and go off on people and threaten people. I still say though when you threaten somone in such a serious way on these shows the producers should step in and he should have been sent home. MHO only

Old 04-21-2011, 01:07 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Me, too. I thought he did a very nice job explaining himself at tribal. It was one of those moments where survivor got "too real" and made me question why I watch a show that encourages these kinds of confrontations and brings up legitimate, deeply felt scars of real people.

oh the poor crazy, black guy................boo freaking hoo
White people have a history too and crosses to bear. The diff is those aren't thrown in people's faces constantly and aren't used often as an excuse to be CRAZY...........white man done made Phillip all crazy and how dare that be allowed to happen???? ENOUGH of this BS!!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2011, 01:35 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Phillip and his "excuse" is total BS! Steve took the blame for saying crazy but what set Phillip on the race card tangent was when Steve said,"lunatic". Yet that was never mentioned. Anyway as I have no desire to delve into the psychological problems of CRAZY Phllip because there are too many issues there and I frankly don't care enough about him or his BS reasons that HE believes he is entitled to call people racist and go off on people and threaten people. I still say though when you threaten somone in such a serious way on these shows the producers should step in and he should have been sent home. MHO only
What's racist is the expectation (by whoever harbors and nurtures it, not you specifically or necessarily anyone even here, but by many) that Phillip somehow gets a pass.

Steve (who spent many years of his life in a majority black work environment and who would surely have not succeeded there had he been a racist) is supposed to think about implications of words as they might apply to someone's father 45 years ago whom he has never even met. Yet Phillip is somehow not expected to be a sensitive adult and say to Steve: "You know, it's no secret we don't care for one another, but when you call me crazy, you may not realize how this term has been used to dismiss black men many times in the past. I don't think you're racist--and I bet there are plenty of football players who would confirm that--but I'd like for you to confirm for me that's not how you meant it."

It seems many (again, not necessarily here, and not you, Skippy) will expect less of Phillip while holding Steve to a preposterous standard, and for only one plausible reason that comes to my mind. Steve was the adult in this case and Phillip was the child. Steve deserves zero condemnation and for Probst to dissect the whole mess and validate Phillip may have been politically necessary, but it put them on an equal footing as men which their behavior does not indicate. If Steve had started behaving like Phillip, things would have gone south very quickly; only because Steve acted his age did they not. I understand why Probst had to do it, but it still makes me want to throw up.

Phillip picked that whole fight, made a horse's gluteus out of himself, got half the reaction and none of the penalty he deserved, took full advantage of his color to make that possible, and whined and fumed until he got some validation. On top of that, he called himself racial epithets that might be taken lightly when self-applied in some contexts, but in this one only demeaned himself. Disgusting. Steve owes him a thorough beating, far as I'm concerned, and Phillip needs to take up D&D so he can play out his fantasies in a safe setting and learn to separate them from reality.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:38 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Phillip is anything but stupid. Deluded maybe but never stupid. I think he knew that he could rattle Steve and possibly the others by playing the race card. Steve called him "crazy" out of exasperation or so it appeared. Phillip was acting crazy. Now that he is all buddy-buddy with Rob he has to find a new "enemy" to focus on.

I think Jeff did a good job at tribal talking Phillip down by telling him that his remark about a white person not being able to see the viewpoint as an African-American that the opposite was also true that he, Phillip, could not know what was in Steve's heart and so should not jump to conclusions.

He clained that Steve had taken his clothes but when Julie confessed there was no word of apology. Basically I think Phillip is just a big bully.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:49 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
How do we know he's a "one-note bore?" He's always on Redemption Island! Maybe he IS boring, but I don't think we've seen enough of him to know this.
We only know based on what the editors decide to show us, but what is the entertainment value of what they're showing us? It's not good tv. It's possible (though unlikely) that he's doing lots of interesting stuff while he's there, but if he was, don't you think we'd get to see some of it? When Matt came back to the tribe, what did he do? He immediately started in on the "Jesus this and Jesus that" routine. That's why I say he's a one-note bore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV