Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 03:20 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,978,338 times

Advertisements

oh yes remember when all of these ppl were kings and queens in st pete and tampa florida ....cwf on channel 44 Saturday night . Good times back then .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 06:17 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,108,544 times
Never heard of most of those wrestlers and I watched for most of the 60s. There must have been separate North/South circuits. Bruno Sanmartino, Sgt. Slaughter, Haystack Calhoun, Prof. Toro Tanaka, Chief Jay Strongbow, Gorgeous George. Those are ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:21 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,999,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Never heard of most of those wrestlers and I watched for most of the 60s. There must have been separate North/South circuits. Bruno Sanmartino, Sgt. Slaughter, Haystack Calhoun, Prof. Toro Tanaka, Chief Jay Strongbow, Gorgeous George. Those are ones I can think of off the top of my head.
All pro wrestling was compartmentalized into independent regional organizations before the 1980's. There was movement of the stars from one region to another as contracts expired, but for the most part the people in one region knew next to nothing about the wrestling in the others. My first realization that I was watching a fixed game came when I was ten years old and my grandfather took me to New York City. I had been watching the CWF circuit my whole life, where Eddie and Dr. Jerry Graham were the ultimate hero good guys. In New York there was some wrestling show on tv and I was shocked to see the Graham brothers fighting against some squeaky clean guys and getting the crap booed out of them by the crowd. They had torn one of the ring ropes loose and had wrapped the middle around one of their opponent's necks, and were pulling on the ends in a choke tug of war. Eddie and Jerry Graham! Saints in Florida! In this circuit it turned out that they were high ranking villains.

It was Vince McMahon, who by taking the SE regional wrestling that he controlled and putting them on national cable TV, who upset the apple cart and overturned the old regional system.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:50 PM

5,411 posts, read 8,095,480 times
I mentioned I had seen Antonia (Argentina) Rocca when I was a boy. He was most famous for move #10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZrQ1cJFjzw

Wikipedia says he wrestled in cities with Italian or Hispanic populations.

It also says "Maestro Arturo Toscanini, a wrestling fan, was good friends with Rocca."

Unless you are old like me, you might not know that Toscanini was a very famous, arguably the most famous, classical music conductor in the USA.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:40 PM

44,557 posts, read 61,296,927 times

Michael Buffer: Let's Get Ready To Rumble!! Starrcade 97 - YouTube

Old 07-28-2014, 10:34 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,108,544 times
I remember Vince McMahon calling the matches here!

Michael Buffer does "Let's get ready to Bundlllllleeee" for Progressive now.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:24 AM

7,487 posts, read 7,974,733 times
During the 70's we had Big Time Wrestling in the Pacific Northwest. Dutch Savage, Buddy Rose, Stan Stasiak and Gene Kiniski were some of the regulars. I seem to recall Roddy Piper and Jimmy Snuka showing up from time to time. There was a lady around 70 years old that always seemed to be in the audience every Saturday. She really got into the matches. If the ref missed seeing one of the wrestlers doing something that was considered illegal, this lady would really get mad and would start yelling at the ref. While she was just one of the audience, the promoters ran with this and went so far to give her a badge to wear. Once in a while the ref would break a hold based on what this lady told him.

Last edited by Alaskan Mutt; 07-29-2014 at 04:44 AM..

Old 07-29-2014, 05:55 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,515,195 times
Ya! I loved the Four Horsemen! Whooooooo!

I was such a stupid kid that I was wondering why the police weren't called when they beat up Magnum T.A. in a parking lot.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:11 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,978,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Ya! I loved the Four Horsemen! Whooooooo!

I was such a stupid kid that I was wondering why the police weren't called when they beat up Magnum T.A. in a parking lot.

I got one better for you , my younger brother got up in church and asked the congregation to pray for one of the wrestlers in sunday morning service , oh the look on my mother and grand mothers faces LOL ...we all had a good laugh about that a couple of Christmases ago when everyone was still alive sadly some of those faces are no longer with us .

Old 07-29-2014, 06:51 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,515,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I got one better for you , my younger brother got up in church and asked the congregation to pray for one of the wrestlers in sunday morning service , oh the look on my mother and grand mothers faces LOL ...we all had a good laugh about that a couple of Christmases ago when everyone was still alive sadly some of those faces are no longer with us .
"Dear Lord, please help heal Wahoo McDaniels after his barbed wire match with Abdullah the Butcher. It was a rough one. Also, please look out for those Von Erich boys. They are having a tough time lately."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV