Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 08:00 AM

512 posts, read 861,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
That was last night's show, right? The guy and his wife donated their entire hall to various charities in their area. That was amazing!!! They had -- what? -- $600 or something? And, after their coupons, it came down to $0. Cool.

I would still like to know where they get coupons for soda? I've never seen soda coupons (except last week, there was some $2 coupon off 2 36 packs --- not a good coupon!)
I didn't see last nights episode, but the only coupons I've ever seen for sodas are put out by a local IGA store (Indiana) and they are $2 off three 12 packs. Usually they have a sale on them as well, but they still cost around $2.50 each.

Yesterday I went to CVS. There were some good sales going on and I had some ECB, $8 in all. When I got there I got three coupons from the kiosk worth $5 in ECB, $2 off $10 in groceries (I didn't use this one), and $5 off 2 Almay cosmetics. I jumped on the most expensive Almay because they had a B1G1 1/2 off AND I had two $1 off Almay coupons. With sale prices and coupons I got $85 worth for only $39. For me that's about as good as it gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 10:33 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,234 times
They might get the coupons through Mycokerewards, and I do see tearpads for Coke at stores around here. Some weekly store ads will have qs for a free 2 liter in conjunction w/another purchase, like chips.

I couldn't find too much to hate on with either of the featured stories last night...the "register breakdown" drama is getting old though--can't they just break up their transactions to begin with?

Old 05-05-2011, 11:33 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
They might get the coupons through Mycokerewards, and I do see tearpads for Coke at stores around here. Some weekly store ads will have qs for a free 2 liter in conjunction w/another purchase, like chips.

I couldn't find too much to hate on with either of the featured stories last night...the "register breakdown" drama is getting old though--can't they just break up their transactions to begin with?

I totally agree!! LOL!! It's always either the register locks up or a coupon won't scan or something like that. Yaaaaawwwnnn.

I really liked both stories last night. The little girl was so adorable, helping her mom with the coupons.

Usually, I get annoyed during the show because you'll have someone buying 93 bags of croutons or 215 boxes of pasta or whatever and hoarding all of it. At least with last night's show, they showed one family being charitable and another family of a working mom showing us how to use coupons the right way! (ie: not hoarding!)

Old 05-05-2011, 12:05 PM

758 posts, read 1,640,027 times
Quote:
I totally agree!! LOL!! It's always either the register locks up or a coupon won't scan or something like that. Yaaaaawwwnnn.

I really liked both stories last night. The little girl was so adorable, helping her mom with the coupons.

Usually, I get annoyed during the show because you'll have someone buying 93 bags of croutons or 215 boxes of pasta or whatever and hoarding all of it. At least with last night's show, they showed one family being charitable and another family of a working mom showing us how to use coupons the right way! (ie: not hoarding!)

And of course THIS was the show I missed! Oh well. Maybe I'll catch it on a repeat.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
And of course THIS was the show I missed! Oh well. Maybe I'll catch it on a repeat.

I'm sure they'll repeat it 100x like they do all the others. I think I've seen Jaimees stupid little "victory dance" 50 times already! Ick!

Oh! The couple who bought all the things for charity? Does anyone know how they got $5 coupons for the jeans????? Remember, he said the jeans were on clearance for $4.98 and they had $5 coupons off each one, so they bought a ton of them to give to the charity. They said he was in the military. Maybe military families get coupons the rest of us don't?

Old 05-06-2011, 05:00 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,423 times
Quote:
I'm sure they'll repeat it 100x like they do all the others. I think I've seen Jaimees stupid little "victory dance" 50 times already! Ick!

Oh! The couple who bought all the things for charity? Does anyone know how they got $5 coupons for the jeans????? Remember, he said the jeans were on clearance for $4.98 and they had $5 coupons off each one, so they bought a ton of them to give to the charity. They said he was in the military. Maybe military families get coupons the rest of us don't?

I was wondering about the coupons for the jeans too.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:52 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,234 times
The jeans were definitely from Target and they sometimes have clothing coupons on their website, so I would presume that's where they came from...wonder how many they were able to print per computer or purchase in one trip.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:28 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,624 times
Quote:
The one guy that was featured twice on the show donates a lot to his local food pantry and also to the troops. He still, however, has an insane stockpile and even had to use another room for more stockpiling. He had over 1000 tubes of toothpaste! I don't think he realizes toothpaste has an expiration date!!

They featured another woman on the show who had a double-wide closet FILLED with bottles of soda. They were turned on their side and just piled about 3/4 of the way up. Another one who doesn't realize there are expiration dates on things. And who honestly needs that much soda?????

I think most of these people have some kind of emotional problems. Of course, if you own a home and have the room to stockpile certain things, that's okay. I would think a 6 month "stockpile" would be sufficient. These people seem to have enough toiletries, paper goods, junk foods, canned goods, sodas, juices, pastas, rice, etc to last 30 years. Problem is, none of that stuff will be any good in 18 months because IT ALL EXPIRES!!!!! (except the paper goods, of course!)
I just got soups tonight and they don't expire until 2014. Not everything expires in 6 months. Also, the toiletries and paper goods don't expire and can be donated to people in need. Food stamps doesn't cover toiletries and paper goods, yet people still need them. A lot of good can be done with these items. A lot of people are homeless and out of work right now (~13 million) people need assistance.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
I just got soups tonight and they don't expire until 2014. Not everything expires in 6 months. Also, the toiletries and paper goods don't expire and can be donated to people in need. Food stamps doesn't cover toiletries and paper goods, yet people still need them. A lot of good can be done with these items. A lot of people are homeless and out of work right now (~13 million) people need assistance.
Canned items and things like soup (canned or dry) is that they have long expiration dates. I was referring to things like soda, which usually has a shelf life of a few months or toothpaste that has a shelf life of 2 or 3 years (and, therefore, getting 1000 tubes, even for free, is a complete waste unless you're giving 900 of them away!)

Some of the people on the show DO donate as I've stated in previous posts. However, the majority of the people they've shown are just hoarders.

I like the idea of "extreme couponing" and being able to get $1000 of stuff for $5, but be realistic --- if you buy 215 boxes of pasta, donate 200 of them to your local food bank.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:33 PM

Here's another thing about this show.... I know the stores where I shop will only allow you to double 4 coupons for the same item. For example, if you have thirty jars of Ragu sauce and have thirty 50 cents off coupons, you can use all those coupons but only 4 of them will double. Also, the one store where I do most of my shopping limits sale items to 4 -- you can buy as many as you want but only 4 will ring at the sale price. The rest will ring at regular price.

Sooooo, are these stores breaking their own sales and coupon rules for this show??? I wish someone who shops at any of the stores used on the show would post and let us know! (or give me the name of the stores and I'll look up their policies online!)

(My guess is that TLC is paying the stores to allow these people to come in and clear their shelves and use coupons to get $1000 of groceries for $5)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV