U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-16-2011, 07:49 PM

8,819 posts, read 15,315,590 times

Advertisements

I am really getting tired of those commercials because they are definitely manipulating people, playing on their emotions. Every other commercial is that one. All the animals looking really said or shaking or frightened, while they put a caption up on it which I seriously doubt is really what is going on with the animal. Plus they play the sad music which doesn't help either.
They are tugging at your heartstrings to get you to donate. I just don't even like seeing them anymore, and will mute the tv or change the channel when they are on. And I love animals.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 07:54 PM

13,618 posts, read 8,203,419 times
I can't watch some shows on Animal Planet either. Like the animal cop show. I just want to puke at how animals are treated by somethings that call themselves a human being.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:56 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,081,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I am really getting tired of those commercials because they are definitely manipulating people, playing on their emotions. Every other commercial is that one. All the animals looking really said or shaking or frightened, while they put a caption up on it which I seriously doubt is really what is going on with the animal. Plus they play the sad music which doesn't help either.
They are tugging at your heartstrings to get you to donate. I just don't even like seeing them anymore, and will mute the tv or change the channel when they are on. And I love animals.
Shame here...everytime my boyfriend and I look at those commercials, we just shake our heads...I would have preferred them just say WE NEED YOUR MONEY but no..they have to show the cows being scooped up by some forklift and the dog with no eye...I think they need better marketing..tugging at heart strings doesn't work. I feel their commercials are in POOR TASTE.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:22 AM

13,856 posts, read 13,997,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
People are animals. Mammals that share over 99% of their DNA with other mammals like gorillas.

Maybe until all animals are considered with compassion there will never be equal compassion between humans.

I don't have a problem with it at all. I have a problem with people that do.
Well compassion is one thing, equality is quite another.

Although I even have doubts any other animal species would even think/feel much compassion to other species unless maybe it's been trained to do so. To deem equality is probably less likely to occur in nature. A dog may value a human life as much as that of another dog, or more, but I think that's because it's been trained to do so. I think it's probable or likely that a wild canine, like a wolf or coyote, would not treat members of all other mammal species like it would its own species. Dolphins will fight each other for mates, but I think if dolphins could talk they might well place far less value on the lives of the fish they eat then they do the lives of other dolphins. Even chimpanzees eat meat on occasion and I doubt they think too much on whether they are killing in the most humane manner.

Mistreatment and torture for animals I think is bad because it excites, or displays, a desire for sadism. Compassion to animals is good in that it excites or displays a desire for compassion. However I'll admit that I'm very against animal rights and only think of these in terms of what it says of us.

I haven't seen the ASPCA ad. Generally I find them to be one of the more sensible animal rights groups though, none of the tomfoolery you get with PETA or its ilk, but sometimes they do get a tad manipulative.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:09 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,535,415 times
Good points Thomas R.

I just saw the ASPCA ad this weekend. My opinion:
It's a commercial. It's a successful commercial because it achieves what it set out to do.
1) Grab attention
2) Generate interest
3) Get inside your head

I did feel manipulated though. And it made me uncomfortable. They just skim the realm of 'creepy'. If I see it again I will probably change the channel. I can understand what the OP was posting about.

Are these the same people that did the commercials with Sarah McLachlan? 'on the wings of an angel . . . '

Old 01-17-2011, 01:28 PM

477 posts, read 426,651 times
These commercials are tough for me to watch because I have 2 dogs myself and I know the abuse goes on every minute of the day to these defenseless animals. It is not right. I do appreciate what the ASPCA and the other legitimate rescue groups do with these animals and that's why I contribute. To me, it doesn't matter if they are putting a "human" face to the animals or not, they feel pain and sadness like we do and those of us who love them and want to get involved should do everything we can to protect them and nurse them back to health. We all know that animals are abused in the worst way possible, the commercials just brings it up to the forefront.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:27 PM

2,689 posts, read 4,500,583 times
The more people I meet... the more I love my animals. And people are the only ones to blame for that.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:31 PM

2,629 posts, read 2,225,212 times
What I find most maddening about the ASPCA's commercials is that people from all over the country see them and send money to them while the animals in their local communities are just as much in need as those in New York City. If Henry Bergh were to come back and see what they have done to the organization he founded to save animals well, he'd horsewhip Ed Sayres.

Support your local rescue, there's a good chance that it is run entirely by volunteers, not high paid staff. And after what they did with OREO, the pitbull, well, they speak with forked tongues.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:09 PM

2,484 posts, read 3,672,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Regardless of what the Bible says, the Human is superior on this earth.
I have to say a lot of people here have very vaild points. I also have to say I am a support of many animal rescues as well as ASPCA. With the statement above- I too agree. However I also agree that the Human race caused the problem with breeding all walks of animal life over decades to begin with. And it is now where we all have to be held accountable. All animals have a right to live free in the world and not be a breeder or live in a small kennel for their entire life. The ASPCA focuses on more domesticated animals, i.e. dogs, cats, horses and such. Someone has to speak up for the animals with no voice. It is not humanly right to treat an animal like a piece of trash. Yes they are disposable and replaceable....but caring humans know the difference between disposable, replaceable and a family member and irreplaceable best friend.

So I am not saying everyone needs to understand what I am posting here- but I am saying we need to help fix the problem the best way we can. And if that is doing a small part then so be it. No one can fix the worlds problems- however we can feel good doing what we can now.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:48 PM

2,878 posts, read 2,272,670 times
I agree with helping the local animal organizations the best you can. The situation here is HORRIFIC. No-kill was not meant to just increase the number of homeless animals wandering the streets. And it's super-bad here even though it's only headed in the direction of no-kill, not even very close yet. And yes, I think those ads are manipulation...they need to change their ad campaigns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV