Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 11:21 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,530,053 times

Advertisements

I rarerly watch her show, but on Larry King this evening she seems very positive- really cares about her affect on people. It was good to hear how she hopes to help the school children in S Africa, and make some sort of difference for some people.

I wish more people like her were on tv- I am so sick of media tabloid trash and Paris Hilton; why cant audiences be exposed to more positive celebs on a regular basis- She represents that tv CAN be used as a positive influence.......

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 08:31 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,620,135 times
Oprah is all about Oprah. She has an ego the size of Asia. It would be nice if she opened an Oprah school in America to help out kids that were like her when she was growing up. Sorry, but it's nice that she is being philanthropic, but her motives are purely self serving. If she truly cared, she would donate and build anonymously and not make everything she does into a publicity photo shoot.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:17 AM

68,285 posts, read 54,094,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Oprah is all about Oprah. She has an ego the size of Asia. It would be nice if she opened an Oprah school in America to help out kids that were like her when she was growing up. Sorry, but it's nice that she is being philanthropic, but her motives are purely self serving. If she truly cared, she would donate and build anonymously and not make everything she does into a publicity photo shoot.

I've never been a big fan but one point I've heard her make: She's said that when kids in the US are asked what they want they aske for stuff, like I-pods, cell phones, etc., when the same age kids in Africa were asked they wanted clothes so they could go to school.

I don't think anyone makes a great media impact without having a healthy ego but I have to give her credit for what she's done.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:04 AM

There are kids in urban areas, appalachia, heck, New Orleans, who would love nothing more than to have the same things these south african children want. I'm not buying it. Charity starts at home. Plus in south africa, methinks the kids there aren't as inundated (read jaded) with media and technology ... give it time.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I've never been a big fan but one point I've heard her make: She's said that when kids in the US are asked what they want they aske for stuff, like I-pods, cell phones, etc., when the same age kids in Africa were asked they wanted clothes so they could go to school.

I don't think anyone makes a great media impact without having a healthy ego but I have to give her credit for what she's done.
I agree.

Okay- PR is her business. But at least she is doing SOMETHING. Look at losers like Paris Hilton who dont. This country is so concerned with itself. Yes, there are poor kids in Appalachia too- I dont see the state doing much....just because our political system is corrupt in some areas, doesnt mean Oprah shouldnt at least be commended.

sunny

Old 05-14-2007, 12:24 PM

What Oprah is doing is good. But the publicity she is garnering in the process is kind of yuck. But again, she is a celebrity and that's what they do, most of the time.

You can't compare Paris Hilton to Oprah (yow!). I'd compare her to what Robert Redford is doing for the environment and what Mia Farrow does for Darfur. Yes, they get publicity, but they don't bask in the glow of it. Oprah does.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:35 PM

800 posts, read 4,289,402 times
I like Oprah and think she does a lot of good in our society

I also like Bill Gates who gives a ton of money to charity. It's an inspiration because it illustrates that the more you have, the more you can help and bless others too

Also, if all celebrities could do a bit of good and get it publicized, maybe it will inspire others to do the same. I am inspired by Angelina Jolie's adoptions. I also find Suzanne Sommers to be inspiring and empowering for women with her work.

Hugz,
AB

Old 05-14-2007, 05:07 PM

Lightbulb Exactly_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
I like Oprah and think she does a lot of good in our society

I also like Bill Gates who gives a ton of money to charity. It's an inspiration because it illustrates that the more you have, the more you can help and bless others too

Also, if all celebrities could do a bit of good and get it publicized, maybe it will inspire others to do the same. I am inspired by Angelina Jolie's adoptions. I also find Suzanne Sommers to be inspiring and empowering for women with her work.

Hugz,
AB
Thanks Angelbear! That is exactly my point.

Obviously they use PR- and use it well- I have seen people criticize Jolie; I mean years ago celebs didnt do much compared to today-

I wish people could start boycotting the true publicity whores (like Hilton) who would then have to use her cache of billions for some good.

sunny

Old 05-14-2007, 10:51 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,649,530 times
Oprah is from Mississippi and her childhood story is much like many others around the area where she lived as a child.

I admit I believe she uses her celebrity status to boost her ratings at times, but she also does good things that are not publicized.

In Kosiesko (spelling), where she lived as a child, she built a new boys and girls club just last year I believe. So, she is giving back, just not as much as the school in S. Africa. They could have used a good school like that here as well.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:17 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,280,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post

I couldn't disagree with you more...Not only has Oprah done so much for children in Africa she has also done what the current adminstration could not do for the people displaced by Katrina, she was responsible for building and completely furniting an entire neighborhood for these people.

Oprah uses the fact that the media swarms her to bring attention to worldwide problems. AS Oprah pointed out children in Africa are not GIVEN an education, they must pay for it, people who don't have water or food, people who live a whole family in a one room building...Her publicity shoots are designed to put a spotlight on the problem, not what she is wearing.

IF Oprah was as self centered as you say, why is it she has taken her name out of the running for daytime emmys, she has many, and would probably take it every year, she doesn't want the attention and wants others to have a turn.

Given what you have said about her, I think you would be surprised about the number of philantropic endeavers she is involved in or indeed spearheads.

If I were a black woman, then young black unfortunate girls would be my focus as well...who is in Africa helping these people, not their government, in the case of Darfur, its the government that is the source of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV