Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 06:40 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,345,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
I love Don's new secretary. She really does epitomize the cranky older ladies who were office dinosaurs. I remember working with a few of these ladies in the late 70's who constantly complained about all the new technology ie the the good old IBM Selectric. I don't think she'll last long though. It's not like Don not to have a beautiful attractive young secretary.
Though I do think that for a partner in the firm like Don, an incompetent secretary wouldn't fly, Mrs. Blankenship is Joanie's revenge on Don for mistreating Alison. He can't handle an efficient, attractive admin? Well Joan can fix that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 08:50 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,251,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

Betty is exquisitely beautiful and completely shallow.
Joan is supposed to be support personnel, but in fact is running the firm.
Peggy, seemingly repressed, has the most original life.
Hipper than thou Roger is actually sexist and racist.
Batty Bert Cooper is the font of wisdom.
Etc., etc.

(And I still think that baby of Betty's isn't Don's.)
I agree with your comments, but I thought Roger and also Pete supported the civil rights movement from the comments they made before the board meeting. My uncles fought in WW II, and they were definitely racists where the Japanese were concerned.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:29 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Good post. I think one of the ultimate ironies of the program is that Don is at the top of his field because he can understand the most subtle nuances of what consumers want (even when they don't know they want it) -- yet he is UTTERLY TONE DEAF when it comes to understanding what the people in his own life want and need.

Every episode of the program has in some way contrasted what people say vs. how they act; appearances vs. reality. "Nothing is but what is not."

Betty is exquisitely beautiful and completely shallow.
Joan is supposed to be support personnel, but in fact is running the firm.
Peggy, seemingly repressed, has the most original life.
Hipper than thou Roger is actually sexist and racist.
Batty Bert Cooper is the font of wisdom.
Etc., etc.

(And I still think that baby of Betty's isn't Don's.)
I think Peggy has the most interesting and progressive life.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:34 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I wasn't surprised at all by Peggy's new friend's sexual orientation. I know it's a stretch, but wouldn't it be cool if she continues to run in the counterculture circles and runs across Sal again? I keep hoping he'll pop up again sometime in the show.

That said, it was interesting to see Ken again. I've never really cared for his character much...and it was telling that Harry seems to have a problem keeping a secret (no big surprise I guess).

I liked Pete this episode. He's still got a weasel streak in him, but it was Draper-smooth to pressure his father in law into getting him in with the Vicks people. That stare between he and Peggy was pretty telling. There's no way that is over. I wonder if Trudy will ever find out the truth?

RE: Don's letter, I expected him to write her a formal letter of recommendation...maybe he will. But I think it was telling that he couldn't finish the sentence. He knows his life is a wreck. That's part of what the "Did you get the pears?" couple showed...he's living in a depressing place physically and emotionally. I wonder how he's going to turn things around...if he's going to turn things around.

I also have really enjoyed not seeing Betty. I'd be totally happy if they only brought her up once or twice more this season. She is so dispicable. That's great writing and great acting for you.
Unfortunately this season will be full of Betty. I can't stand her, so kudos to the actress.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:32 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,068 times
I don't think there was anything between Allison and Don besides a quickie. She doesn't think much of him either!

I hope they don't hook up Faye and Don...too obvious.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:33 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Though I do think that for a partner in the firm like Don, an incompetent secretary wouldn't fly, Mrs. Blankenship is Joanie's revenge on Don for mistreating Alison. He can't handle an efficient, attractive admin? Well Joan can fix that.
Classic move on Joan's part! I think Mrs. B is a scream!!

Old 08-26-2010, 09:31 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,308,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I agree with your comments, but I thought Roger and also Pete supported the civil rights movement from the comments they made before the board meeting. My uncles fought in WW II, and they were definitely racists where the Japanese were concerned.
Roger might think he supports the civil rights movement, but I remember one truly embarrassing moment when he dressed in black face and performed, I believe it was Swanee, at his and Jane's country club wedding party (the one where Don met Conrad Hilton). I also remember that while Pete was the first to pitch African-Americans as an audience for a client's product, his explanation for why Sterling Cooper should get into that market was about as sensitive as Roger's Al Jolson act.

And I hear you about your relatives ... I can still remember the speech my own mother made when my brother brought home a Datsun. (She's got over it though, after all three of her kids just laughed and mocked her.)

Old 08-27-2010, 10:24 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,466,224 times
Did you guys know that the actress who plays Mrs. Blankenship (Don's new secretary) was also Mrs. Larusso (the mother) in Karate Kid?!? So weird!

Old 08-27-2010, 02:46 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,855,960 times
Something no one else has said, so I'm just going to blurt it out. If my 10-year old daughter was touching herself, my first thought would not be masturbation, but that she was itching, and needed to see a doctor about a possible infection.

I really didn't understand why these women leaped to the conclusion they did.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:29 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,352,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Something no one else has said, so I'm just going to blurt it out. If my 10-year old daughter was touching herself, my first thought would not be masturbation, but that she was itching, and needed to see a doctor about a possible infection.

I really didn't understand why these women leaped to the conclusion they did.
Could it be because the writers, directors and actors of the show wanted to make it clear what was being portrayed? It was not "itching". Watch it again if you can. It's pretty clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV