Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 12:49 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,991,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
It was odd how jealous Betty was of Don going out with a new girl. But, it was good to see that she welcomed him to his son's second birthday party. Don really seems to be turning a corner now and hopefully for the better. It just wasn't fun watching the trainwreck his life was turning into.

I also thought that Peggy should have stood up more to Joan. I don't think she has more of an attitude than she should towards the girls that were equal with her for some time. Most of the girls in the office tend to love high school drama and that isn't Peggy's thing. Joan is really starting to annoy me with her attitude. Funny that she could judge Peggy by a false rumor when she actually fits the rumor to a T - with the exception of Roger being her fling.

I think that her storyline will become more interesting once her husband leaves.

Overall, I really liked the episode and wish that the sneak previews at the end of the next episode actually told you something!
I thnk Peggy knows exactly what she's doing, and knows that she is better respected (although very grudgingly by the men) in the workplace than Joan. So, she'll let Joan rant (like she did in the elevator). Peggy has plans.

The men still think Joan is a glorified secretary with a "stacked" aging body. I frankly think the men are tired of seeing Joan's hips swing from side to side in her red dresses. She's getting "old", and they want "fresh meat".

Peggy will never fit the "fresh meat" category, but the more she proves herself, she'll get more respect (again, grudging respect) from the guys she works with. More doors will open for her, either at the agency, or she'll open them herself with her OWN agency (when the time is right).

Yes, wonder what the next episode is about. Maybe the head of the company will die?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 01:01 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,933,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post

You know, as cruel as Joey was to say that to Joan, he was right in some degree. I guess Joan's power has always come from her sexuality whereas Peggy's has come from her business acumen/timing.
I was thinking the same thing.

Quote:
I thought it was very telling how Don treated Bethany and Faye on their respective dates. Don allows Bethany to "go downtown" in the back of the cab, whereas Faye is ready and willing to have sex with Don, but he declines. I think Don realizes that Bethany's just a kid/fling for him and probably doesn't have any long term prospects with her. She is the kind of girl he used to be drawn to...young, pretty, blonde, well-connected. Likewise, Faye represents what Don needs now...professional, mature, and able to be an emotional anchor for him (like Anna Draper used to be). He doesn't care to ruin the fling with Bethany...but he does respect Faye enough not to hop into bed with her just yet. Or it could just be that he REALLY likes to sleep alone.
Faye is definitely Anna material.
But yeah. I think he likes to sleep alone and find those cold patches, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I wanted Peggy to respond to Joan in the elevator, that Peggy had fired Joey not because of the incident, but because of his overall attitude. She didn't fire him until he came back with that chauvinist comment about how he hated to "work with women." Well, it showed. He made a mistake, picking Joan as his target, because first of all he thought she was more vulnerable than she actually is. And secondly, because he underestimated Peggy. Peggy's empowering moment didn't come from firing him, it came when Don told her to handle it, that she could handle it, that she didn't want him handling it.
.And she got what he was telling her. That she was in a position of authority, and that he would back her when she used that authority, but if she had him do her dirty work, then she would be acting as if she doesn't have any authority.
I think this has been Don's tough-love attitude all along--he has been trying to get Peggy to grow and become a full-fledged member of the firm.
Quote:
And Joan didn't handle Joey, and I think she knew that. But Joan represents an older dynamic, where women manipulated men to get men to do things for them. She even alludes to that in her elevator conversation. Peggy's success does stem from her own talent, and hard work, but it also stems from Don's recognition of that talent and hard work. Don's ability to not be sexist when dealing with Peggy while being sexist in so many other areas of his life comes from his ability to compartmentalize the different aspects of his life.
It has been interesting to watch this.
Lots of men compartmentalize, but Don takes it to amazing heights.
Quote:
Betty is completely opposite this. She fosters this cool, sophisticated veneer that is so thin, so brittle, it shatters whenever she sees Don. To Henry's dismay. Her reaction to Don and his date, there is so much pent-up rage there, was so telling. And the way she told Henry in the car afterwards that if he didn't like it, he could basically get out of her life? He's already out of her life. She's made so little room for him, it's a wonder he can even breathe. And her anger's contagious, as evidenced by Henry deliberately running the car into Don's boxes, as evidenced by the way Henry turned his back when Don picked up the boxes, as evidenced by the way Henry reacted when Don showed up for Gene's birthday. And yet while Betty had told everyone how she didn't want Don showing up for this party, she was absolutely serene when he did. Because it confirmed to her that in addition to the older children, that Gene is a weapon in her arsenal against Don?
Maybe a weapon, maybe merely an eternal connection.
Francine had warned her that she could "lose everything."
I think Henry is just another accessory, the way Betty herself was an accessory to Don.
I dunno, Betty's a fairly immature, shallow person.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:15 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,633,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Well, Joan certainly gave Peggy her comeuppance in episode 8.
I don't think Peggy *meant* to sound condescending in the elevator when she asked Joan if she'd heard that she'd fired Joey the Frat-boy (an empowering moment for Peggy). Regardless, Joan was neither grateful nor impressed because as far as she's concerned, she had already handled it and Peggy's move will make both of them look bad. Poor Peggy. It's not easy being a trailblazer.

I was unsurprised that Fay and Don had a date, but I thought it was pretty cool that Don just took her home--and that part did surprise me.

Interesting to hear Don's narrative. Voice-overs bother a lot of people, but I always seem to like them. He speaks of hating to write anything long, which reminds me of his phrase "small but significant" from a couple episodes ago.

I like that he swims laps (I do the same thing 5 mornings a week)and I appreciated his description of weightlessness and being wrung out afterward--that is exactly why I like swimming, too.
Was that Joey in the next lane in the swimming scene towards the end?
yep, it was joey and Don beat him to the wall and said nothing

Old 09-13-2010, 03:29 PM

29,672 posts, read 34,190,182 times
Quote:
The men still think Joan is a glorified secretary with a "stacked" aging body. I frankly think the men are tired of seeing Joan's hips swing from side to side in her red dresses. She's getting "old", and they want "fresh meat".
And too, Joan has always been the type of woman who is admired by men and was able to bend them to her will by being charming. She's respected by the "older" men in the office (Roger, Don, Lane, etc, ) but young Turks aren't her target demographic.

And too, she doesn't seem to have any female friends. She's apart from the secretarial pool in her own office, she doesn't feel any affinity towards Peggy as a woman or a colleague. Once her husband ships off she's really going to be alone.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:05 PM

27,930 posts, read 29,779,389 times
Quote:
Right on. I suppose Peggy was so taken back that Joan didn't recognize and appreciate what Peggy did that she didn't fully explain the situation. Then again, it probably wouldn't have mattered since Peggy was being semi-patronizing to Joan in the first place by bringing it up to her that she fired Joey. Kind of a "look what I did for you" tone in her voice.
I don't know who I was most disgusted by in the elevator. I can't stand Joan. I think the first time I realized I detested her so bad was about five minutes into episode one of season one. And why anyone would find her attractive is beyond me. I guess it's just that she's so big-boned and high-waisted. Her face is marginally pretty, but overall, I don't think she's the slightest bit pretty. And her attitude! What a *****! I thought her reaction in the elevator was SO juvenile. I don't know if Peggy saw through it and recognized it as pure jealousy or not, bit it made me even hate her worse than I already did.

On the other hand, it would have been SO much classier of Peggy not to say anything about having fired Joey. Joan would have found out he was gone and would have assumed it was Don who fired him. Sooner or later, though, she'd have found out it was Peggy. But Peggy, in saying (in effect), "Look what I did. I'm so important," just made herself look desperate for people to appreciate how far she's come. I just wish she hadn't felt it necessary to toot her own horn. It would have been so much neater for Joan (and everybody else) to have found out some other way than by Peggy feeling the need to brag.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:32 PM

308 posts, read 426,352 times
You might want to check this link Katzpur: Internet Debate

Christina Hendricks is HOT!

Old 09-14-2010, 03:37 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,933,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
it would have been SO much classier of Peggy not to say anything about having fired Joey. Joan would have found out he was gone and would have assumed it was Don who fired him. Sooner or later, though, she'd have found out it was Peggy. But Peggy, in saying (in effect), "Look what I did. I'm so important," just made herself look desperate for people to appreciate how far she's come. I just wish she hadn't felt it necessary to toot her own horn. It would have been so much neater for Joan (and everybody else) to have found out some other way than by Peggy feeling the need to brag.
I think it was less tooting than it was an attempt to continue the alliance they'd had. Yes, their bond was shakey, but Peggy did respect Joan.
Remember their original relationship, when Peggy first began at the firm?
Yes, Peggy has come far, but Joan was the one who set her on her path.
Each has her own particular talent.
Maybe Joan wasn't always so nicey-nice about it, but she often gave Peggy good advice.
And maybe Joan can be a %$(*#, but IMHO she often calls it like it is.
I'll never forget the way she eviscerated Paul Kinsey (the pretentious bearded pipe-smoking copywriter.)

Old 09-14-2010, 09:28 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,645,414 times
Quote:
You know, as cruel as Joey was to say that to Joan, he was right in some degree. I guess Joan's power has always come from her sexuality whereas Peggy's has come from her business acumen/timing. It will be interesting to see if Joan starts wearing more conservative attire commisurate to her standing as the backbone of SCDP...or if she'll continue to flaunt what the good Lord gave her. And who knows what will happen when Dr. Rapist heads off to basic training and Vietnam? Poor Joan is getting it rough on both ends of her life: her personal life is collapsing with Greg heading of to Vietnam and she realizes she's not being treated with respect at work. It's going to be a lonely season or two for Joanie, I'm afraid.
Yep. I think Joan's storyline is about a decline of sexual power, and the realization that she didn't capitalize on it while she still has it. Let's remember, she isn't supposed to be working at all, according to her master plan. The master plan virtually all hot women had in her time period was to marry a doctor and become a pampered housewife & mother. Well she landed the doc but he turned out to be a loser.

She had to go back to work, and at this time period she'd be thinking she'll never have children. Her sexual power is fading at the office now, so she has people bugging her with vending machine issues and cutting through her office. She couldn't even convince an older, senior level male to fire the young guy who publicly insulted her. She knows she might be a Miss Blankenship someday.

Peggy is younger and is building a life & career based on her mind and not sexual power... Peggy's way is working and Joan's way is not... and Joan is starting to realize it.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:35 AM

5,465 posts, read 12,208,939 times
Hey Guys, got a question.
How can I watch Mad Men if I don't have cable/dish etc and don't do podcasts and such? I am moving out of my apt at the end of the month to a nicer apt in a nicer neighborhood, but I won't be able to afford the expense of cable. I thought you could watch the episodes online on AMC after they aired, but I guess they don't have that option? At least I don't see it. Suggestions?

Old 09-14-2010, 12:13 PM

27,930 posts, read 29,779,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc0803 View Post
You might want to check this link Katzpur: Internet Debate

Christina Hendricks is HOT!
I don't know, Andy. Maybe it's that I'm not a guy. She's just too big! I'm not just talking about her boobs, either! I just think a more delicate look is more attractive. (I'm not that keen on red hair either.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV