U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-15-2010, 03:55 AM

13,326 posts, read 30,306,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Hey Guys, got a question.
How can I watch Mad Men if I don't have cable/dish etc and don't do podcasts and such? I am moving out of my apt at the end of the month to a nicer apt in a nicer neighborhood, but I won't be able to afford the expense of cable. I thought you could watch the episodes online on AMC after they aired, but I guess they don't have that option? At least I don't see it. Suggestions?
AMC did have episodes online, but apparently not anymore.
I messaged you my method (it does not involve downloading.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 12:18 PM

2,895 posts, read 3,608,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But Don himself isn't even a high school graduate, so that doesn't seem to be an issue.
"Dick Whitman" isn't a HS graduate. Don Draper likely is since he was an officer. Although, not necessarily. Don Draper's educational background might have helped Dick Whitman along the way...we just don't know yet (and honestly, that would be a very boring plot point if they ever delved into it )

But still, I get your point...and agree that creative types do tend to have intangiables that the business world appreciates that aren't directly tied to academic success.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:59 PM

21 posts, read 21,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
"Dick Whitman" isn't a HS graduate. Don Draper likely is since he was an officer. Although, not necessarily. Don Draper's educational background might have helped Dick Whitman along the way...we just don't know yet (and honestly, that would be a very boring plot point if they ever delved into it )

But still, I get your point...and agree that creative types do tend to have intangiables that the business world appreciates that aren't directly tied to academic success.
If I recall, Don Draper said he was an engineer and was supposed to have been building pools. Chances are he was a college grad. Not sure if Dick used any of his educational credentials to land a job. Seems he was purely a sales guy.

On the point about creative types, I would agree that much of their talents are natural and college isn't necessarily as important as it is with other careers. But how would you describe Peggy? She seems more of a hybrid business/creative to me. While in today's society she would benefit from college, she's basically getting all the education she needs from Don and from working in the environment.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:09 PM

17,605 posts, read 25,219,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't know, Andy. Maybe it's that I'm not a guy. She's just too big! I'm not just talking about her boobs, either! I just think a more delicate look is more attractive. (I'm not that keen on red hair either.)
Joan is like a living doll ... plastic. Very Marilyn Monroe-ish ... remember how crushed she was when Marilyn died??? That was her role model and she killed herself. Joan is a dying breed. She won't be able to keep up with the likes of Peggy's new friends.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:46 PM

2,866 posts, read 4,212,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Joan is like a living doll ... plastic. Very Marilyn Monroe-ish ... remember how crushed she was when Marilyn died??? That was her role model and she killed herself. Joan is a dying breed. She won't be able to keep up with the likes of Peggy's new friends.
Joan's hardly a dying breed. They flourish today, the styles may have changed, and the technique has been adapted, but there are plenty of Joans still out there.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:54 PM

2,895 posts, read 3,608,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happylois3 View Post
If I recall, Don Draper said he was an engineer and was supposed to have been building pools. Chances are he was a college grad. Not sure if Dick used any of his educational credentials to land a job. Seems he was purely a sales guy.
That's exactly right. I forgot about that. Good call. It seems unlikely that Dick would use an engineering degree to get a job selling cars, furs, or pushing ads.

Quote:
But how would you describe Peggy? She seems more of a hybrid business/creative to me. While in today's society she would benefit from college, she's basically getting all the education she needs from Don and from working in the environment.
I think it goes back to what Don told Peggy in "Sit Down, Have A Seat"...Peggy has a knack for knowing what people want and selling it to them. She does have good business sense though. Some people are just born with an ability to soak it up and to practice what they learn. I suppose Peggy is one of those people.

Meanwhile, guys like Paul Kinsey who have excellent educations, are being passed over by Peggy.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Joan's hardly a dying breed. They flourish today, the styles may have changed, and the technique has been adapted, but there are plenty of Joans still out there.
I used to think Peggy's reaction to the women's lib movement would be the most interesting...but I think we're seeing that already. Now I think Joan's reaction will be the most interesting. Will she embrace it in her own way or will she continue to rely on her sex appeal to advance herself?

I tend to think she'll adapt but still keep some of her old ways. We've already seen she's capable and willing to do more than be "head secretary" or even "office manager" (remember when she read scripts for Harry?). I'm not sure she's on pace to be a copywriter or ad woman, but I definitely could see her becoming like Lane. In fact, I predict that her husband will go off to war...not come home...which will force her to become self-reliant (she was self-reliant before...but looking for a husband). This will spill over into her work as well and she'll become more of a professional force in the office than just an office manager.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:35 PM

7,371 posts, read 3,373,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
It's interesting that Joan is a college graduate yet it has little impact on her status.

I have been working since the mid-80s and have never come across anyone with a secretarial school background, only, whose career took a path like Peggy's in such a short time. In fact, my first job out of college was secretarial but having a college degree helped me move rapidly into a professional track whereas the young women who graduated from secretarial school became administrative assistants, office managers and executive secretaries.

Peggy is certainly the odd duck being that it's 1965, she's only 26 with no college and has the same job the guys -- some of whom are Ivy League grads. Fortunately for Peggy, Don recognized her talents, provided strong, critical mentoring and got her to produce quality work. I would venture to guess that there weren't too many "Peggys" because there weren't many "Dons" around to pull them along.

What do you think?
I agree. In 1965, and even into the late 1970's it was still very much a man's world in the office. I remember a few women who were very bright college and university graduates who worked as underwriters in a very large insurance company. They trained all the young guys who came basically out of high school or college, (and who started at a higher salary) and within a year or so these young guys would get promoted to senior underwriters. It really sucked. They produced excellent work, yet they could never get promoted. Anything with the title "Senior" in it wasn't designated for women. Anyone who asked was told it was not possible. In this sense, Don Draper is very enlightened. He recognizes Peggy for her talent and the quality of her work.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:40 PM

7,371 posts, read 3,373,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Agree. Let's see what happens when Joan's husband heads off to Vietnam. The best female friend she could have in the office would be Peggy. I think Joan is very brittle and beautiful. No doubt she is very intelligent, but I think she is somewhat jealous of Peggy's success.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:28 PM

17,605 posts, read 25,219,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Agree. Let's see what happens when Joan's husband heads off to Vietnam. The best female friend she could have in the office would be Peggy. I think Joan is very brittle and beautiful. No doubt she is very intelligent, but I think she is somewhat jealous of Peggy's success.
I think that Joan will go back to Roger. Joan's tiger will never change her stripes. She'll never get out of the mindset that a woman's role in the world is to get a man and have them support her. The only reason Joan is back at the office is because her schlub of a husband couldn't support her. Joan will never be truly independent ... she'll find another man, Roger.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:49 AM

13,326 posts, read 30,306,828 times
Quote:
I think that Joan will go back to Roger. Joan's tiger will never change her stripes. She'll never get out of the mindset that a woman's role in the world is to get a man and have them support her. The only reason Joan is back at the office is because her schlub of a husband couldn't support her. Joan will never be truly independent ... she'll find another man, Roger.
I don't disagree that Joan feels she must have a man, etc, nor do I disagree with the possibility of her going back to Roger. Joan is definitely old school.
But I still think Joan liked her job and its office-manager responsibilities, and missed it when she was gone.

Everyone in Mad Men, including Joan, is having an identity crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV