Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 05:30 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

Christina Hendricks talks about The Other Woman
Apparently she had known about her momentous decision well in advance.

One thing she says about Greg Harris:
"So I found it very satisfying that she finally got to say, "You're not a good man. And you know exactly what I'm talking about."

I agree with what she says in the interview about her fun "date" with Don. I thought they were cute together, and yes maybe a bit of flirtiness was in the air, but never thought of them as a couple. I've always thought of them as friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 10:09 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

Joan's husband filed for divorce and served her with papers. Until Sept. 1967, the ONLY ground for divorce in New York State was adultery. It would have to be proven in court. I wonder if the writers realize this.
Maybe Greg put two and two together and realized that Kevin is not his son.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:59 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
Maybe Greg put two and two together and realized that Kevin is not his son.
It is possible, although the writers have not shown this yet. If that happened, it would have to come out in the open and the child would lose all government benefits from having a father in the military. Greg would also be highly embarassed and it would hurt his career. In keeping with his characther, if Greg was aware of it (and you think he would figure it out being a doctor), he most likely would not publically admit it.

Before, he filed for divorce, he would have had to already posess proof. His lawyer would have advised him of it. After the divorce reform laws of 1967, the required grounds were still limited and not simple to prove. In New York State, it was not easy to get divorced until the laws were changed once again during the early 80s. New York state civil law, in this regard, has always been slow to join the more "progressive" states. It made sense for Betty to get a quickie in Nevada, as many people did.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:51 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

Before, he filed for divorce, he would have had to already posess proof.
If I followed the series of events correctly, it should be obvious that Greg is not Kevin's father. Greg was away in Vietnam for one year. Roger and Joan had a one night stand during this time frame. That was the night they were robbed at gunpoint. Even Joan approached Roger stating that her cycle was late. The normal gestation period for a human is nine months. How can Greg father a child in New York when he is in a foreign country half way around the world?

Old 05-31-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
How can Greg father a child in New York when he is in a foreign country half way around the world?
Harris had *just* been called up when Joan and Roger had their post-mugging street fling.
We know Roger is the father, but it's not impossible that Greg Harris could have been.
But before Harris raped Joan in the office, hadn't his suspicions been a bit aroused about Roger? Does anyone else remember this?

Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,491,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
One of my favorite episodes ever.

I don't think Don sees prostitution as immoral. I don't think he sees it as moral, either, but that his personal history and his professional history gives him the perspective of prostitution as just business. It's not the prostitution that he is so troubled by, but the coercion that he perceives in the situation. He doesn't want the Jaguar dealer making decisions with the firm based on the dealer's ability to coerce them, and he doesn't want Joan making this kind of decision based on Pete and the other partners' willingness to coerce Joan. But I think that he can still respect Joan after this because he can see her decision as a business decision.
Mine too DC! And I enjoy your comments so much that I must jump in to the discussion. Respectfully disagree with you on this one (finely written) point. Don DOES have a problem with prostitution ... remember, his mother was a who__e (can't believe they are censoring this word, but oh well!) And he was desperate for Joan not to succumb, so much so that he dropped everything and ran to her apartment, risking pretty much everything (business-wise)to stop Joan -- his friend, but who, let's face it -- "mothered" pretty much everyone in the firm by taking care of their needs -- from becoming a "who___re.".

This whole series has largely been about Don's massive "Madonna/W___re" complex, which stems from the fact that his mother was a prostitute and his stepmother rubbed his nose in it constantly while withholding love and affection from him... any woman he has a sexual relationship with is either a wh__re or a mother, which is why his marriage to Betty didn't work out. The marriage worked as long as Betty acted like a "mother" both to their kids and to him (caring for his material needs, showing him unconditional love and approval i.e., turning a blind eye to his faults/lies. It's why he slept around too -- because he couldn't get sexual satisfaction form Betty -- whom he saw as a "mother."). But whenever she tries to assert her sexuality -- and address him like an adult about his lies -- things went downhill. Remember the Valentines episode where he gets a room at a fancy hotel and Betty comes "prepared" -- dressed in sexy lingerie -- and he is impotent? Remember that he called her a "wh___re" when she told him she wanted a divorce?

It's no coincidence that his only healthy relationships with women were nonsexual, i.e. Anna, Peggy.

Yet -- Don's is a human journey and he is making progress, with the help of a strong loving woman like Megan.

But I predict that Joan's decision ... which I applaud ... will damage his relationship with her in some way. Either he will be brutal and disrespectful or he will try to sleep with her.

I also feel like Something Awful is about to happen to Don. Either Megan will betray him -- because even though she is strong and smart and loving, she is still young and obviously not the type to just settle into being a trophy wife. She's already been called a sellout and it's obvious that this wounds her, and it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for her to act out sexually ... such were the times.

Or perhaps he will grieve for Peggy like he grieved for Anna ... and in his grief fall apart and betray Megan?

Whatever happens I can't wait ... I don't want this season to end.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:08 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
WOW!!!!!

Just wow

Old 06-04-2012, 05:19 AM

Default Beware of spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
WOW!!!!!

Just wow
Yeah. I don't know where to start.
However, while I am usually surprised (and I enjoy this aspect of MM) by what Mad Men characters do, there were two things that did not surprise me at all.

1): As soon as Don told Lane that he had to resign, I knew that somehow, some way, Lane would take his own life. When he purposely broke his glasses, that was a note of finality. And when the Jaguar wouldn't start (they're unreliable, remember!? ) I knew that would only stiffen his resolve.
He was finished. (And his wife--how clueless can you get?!)

2): When they were at the museum, as soon as Sally said she had a stomachache, I knew she was getting her period. I loved the way that Megan and Betty verbally tiptoed around this "hush hush" subject, that is exactly the way my mom used to handle it (I think Sally is the same age as I was that year.) Sally and Betty had that nice hot water bottle scene on the bed, but of course Betty had to stick it to Megan with that oneupsmanship remark "She just needed her mother."

Maybe someone (DC?) will be able to articulate it better than I can, but I saw these sad parallels with Don and Lane as they labored over the weekend. Both had goals--but such *different* ones.

As usual, Roger had a superb one-liner: "I'll buy you a drink after you wipe the blood off your mouth."

Old 06-04-2012, 07:25 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,150,927 times
The last two weeks worth of episodes is exactly the reason why I love this show.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:13 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
I'm gonna miss Lane. A lot of his story lines were left unresolved, like that woman who's picture he found in that taxicab, or his strained relationship with his father, or his relationship with that black playboy bunny...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV