Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 01:05 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,476,952 times

Advertisements

I saw in the previews where Megan yells "I can hear you!" into her phone, I think creepy kid Glen's found himself a new older woman to be obsessed with again, in season 1 it was Betty, now it's Megan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 01:40 PM

36,382 posts, read 15,982,902 times
Great episode!!

Old 06-04-2012, 01:46 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,786,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Lane knew that check was going to bounce. It was the last straw for him.

In those days, it was common for the wife to be in the dark about the family finances. The men handled it and gave their wives an allowance, including a certain amount of spending money put in the checking account.
That's the first thought that popped into my head. His wife had no idea really how much money Lane was making. That fact (the check bouncing) and knowing he was going to be out of work destroyed him at that moment. And then to see this new, expensive car sitting in the garage for him was the last straw.

They seem to be shedding even more characters.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:54 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,379,702 times
How ironic that all the while they were calling Jaguar a "crappy car" that didn't run well because when poor beleaguered Lane tried to start one to kill himself, the engine wouldn't turn over. At that moment I thought, or was hoping, that Lane would take it as a sign an not try to go on with the suicide. But that didn't happen.

I so liked the Lane character. One reason is because the actor who portrays him looks exactly like one of the first bosses I ever had. But mostly because I think Lane was interesting and gave a different point of view of the American way of doing business at that time while trying hard to fit in.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:00 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,937,154 times
'Megan is a good big sister, but she will never be Sally's mother.'

Perhaps I missed something, but I get no impression that Megan has any feelings at all of wanting to be Sally's mom. She just wants to fulfill what's expected of her in her relationship with Don. I think it is Betty who is projecting her feelings of jealousy, etc, onto Megan in some petty little psychological game that only SHE is playing.

I think Don made the right decision concerning Lane. I don't know if I could have done it, though. I think, to run a business, it takes a certain heartlessness and the willingness to sacrifice almost everything.

Did I miss something again? I am not sure how Lane got himself into the financial hole in the first place.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:04 PM

11,599 posts, read 12,636,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I can see that, but Don gave him an out that allowed Lane to save face. He could resign and say "things didn't work out" rather than having Don go to the partners and officially fire him for embezzling. That Lane couldn't be "amazed how much this didn't happen" in the way that Peggy could isn't on Don.
I think Don planted the idea in Lane's mind when he told him to take the weekend and think of an elegant exit.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:10 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,786,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post

Perhaps I missed something, but I get no impression that Megan has any feelings at all of wanting to be Sally's mom. She just wants to fulfill what's expected of her in her relationship with Don. I think it is Betty who is projecting her feelings of jealousy, etc, onto Megan in some petty little psychological game that only SHE is playing.

I think Don made the right decision concerning Lane. I don't know if I could have done it, though. I think, to run a business, it takes a certain heartlessness and the willingness to sacrifice almost everything.

Did I miss something again? I am not sure how Lane got himself into the financial hole in the first place.
It would appear they live in a very nice apartment and live an elegant lifestyle. Their son attends what I would assume is an expensive school back in England. Then there is the matter of the tax money he owed. $7,500 in today's money would be well over $50,000.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,379,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post

Lane's money troubles began when he got a letter from the British tax people telling him he owed $7,000 in back taxes. He was overextended in his finances and couldn't pay it. I think the consquences would have been deportation and the one thing he wanted to do was stay in the US.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:27 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,937,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Lane's money troubles began when he got a letter from the British tax people telling him he owed $7,000 in back taxes. He was overextended in his finances and couldn't pay it. I think the consquences would have been deportation and the one thing he wanted to do was stay in the US.
Well, then, Lane did it to himself, didn't he? There are those making good money in the not so distant past who did the same thing. They really should know better. It's not as though some inadvertent expenses came up that he could not have known about.

Thank you.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:30 PM

29,704 posts, read 34,246,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
And at the time in the UK, the tax rate could be as high as 90-95% (see: Beatles' song "Taxman" off the Revolver album.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV