Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 07:18 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,005,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I don't see where Megan ever showed resentment over looking after Don's kids. I think she likes Sally quite a bit. She certainly has put up with pretty schnarzy pre-adolescent behavior from the girl.

But in this case, I believe it was a matter of having to have Sally over without a moment's notice that upset Megan. She had plans, Don had plans, that was just plain rude of Betty to shove Sally off on them. What if there were no dad and step mom around to take Sally in? I think Betty should have taken Sally along and allowed her to sit in the lodge and not join the others in skiing if that's what she chose to do.

To me it just looked like Betty was foisting Sally off on her dad and stepmom as the easy way out so she wouldn't have to deal with her daughter. So tough, Betty, that's what you sign on for when you become a parent.
Betty is a mother and wife simply because she did what was expected of her in her generation. While she has affection and love for Sally, the truth of the matter is that Betty doesn't have a maternal bone in her body. You can see that she wants to be loving, she wants to a companion as Megan is to Don, but she just doesn't seem to have the ability to give of herself and demands too much of others. Although, in all fairness, I would likely be pretty bitter if my husband stepped out on me all the time like Don did to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 07:31 PM

4,720 posts, read 15,594,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I don't see where Megan ever showed resentment over looking after Don's kids. I think she likes Sally quite a bit. She certainly has put up with pretty schnarzy pre-adolescent behavior from the girl.

But in this case, I believe it was a matter of having to have Sally over without a moment's notice that upset Megan. She had plans, Don had plans, that was just plain rude of Betty to shove Sally off on them. What if there were no dad and step mom around to take Sally in? I think Betty should have taken Sally along and allowed her to sit in the lodge and not join the others in skiing if that's what she chose to do.

To me it just looked like Betty was foisting Sally off on her dad and stepmom as the easy way out so she wouldn't have to deal with her daughter. So tough, Betty, that's what you sign on for when you become a parent.
"So tough, Betty."
Cuz I said "so tough Megan"? Ok. Tit for tat.
Tis my minor opinon of a tv show. I dont know Megan personally.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,398,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
"So tough, Betty."
Cuz I said "so tough Megan"? Ok. Tit for tat.
Tis my minor opinion of a tv show. I don't know Megan personally.
Sorry if I offended. I was trying to be a little humorous because I was kind of taking my interpretation of Megan's point of view. They are just TV show characters, I agree, but it's fun sometimes to analyze them a bit over and above what the writers tell us about them.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:59 PM

11,610 posts, read 12,654,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I'm not denying the feelings, but acting as though they should be acceptable. They should be things that are considered beneath you and women should try to rise above pettiness and weed out the low things of their consciousness.

We try to help our kids see their way clear of being jealous of others by being grateful for what they do have, aspiring to better in their own lives, etc, yet we live in this mental morass of self pity? To me, doing so is a choice and not inevitable. Life is a constant struggle, sure, but the struggle is to keep yourself as someone you can love. True, it gets difficult, but an adult should be able to be better at thinking clearly than a child.
I agree that we should have better standards and rise about the pettiness. It's an ideal to aspire.

But the writers kept it real. You know one of them who wrote this must have either an ex with kids or is a step-parent. Divorce, remarriage, and kids are intensely emotional, gut-wrenching issues. When you are an older person and you see some hot shot kid trying to displace you under any circumstance (career, marriage), and the hotshot kid makes a mistake, it's human, maybe not morally right, but it is human, to feel a little schadenfreude.

Despite Betty's conflicts with Sally, she is still going to feel possessive about her kids. From Betty's perspective she was telling Megan, "I am the real mother, not you."

This has happened to too many friends who have cried on my shoulder. May you never be dumped by your husband who remarries a younger woman and have to share custody.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:10 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,978,540 times
Interesting interview with Jared Harris (Lane)
Episode 12 is discussed, Lane's motivations explored.

Funny recap from Team Coco (the only MM recap you'll ever need.)
"No one talks about their feelings, because talking about feelings hasn't been invented yet."

Old 06-05-2012, 04:54 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,682,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Interesting interview with Jared Harris (Lane)
Episode 12 is discussed, Lane's motivations explored.

Funny recap from Team Coco (the only MM recap you'll ever need.)
"No one talks about their feelings, because talking about feelings hasn't been invented yet."
Don Draper makes a face like his lower intestines are full of spackle.

Best of the best!!!!

Old 06-05-2012, 08:42 AM

9,143 posts, read 14,730,585 times
What a great episode. I knew things would not end well for Lane once that check was discovered, but to see his desperation was great writing and acting.

Also, mad props for not having him hanging from the actual ceiling grid which in spite of many shows and movies with people crawling around up there, is far from strong enough.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:21 AM

692 posts, read 1,002,881 times
Quote:
While she has affection and love for Sally, the truth of the matter is that Betty doesn't have a maternal bone in her body. You can see that she wants to be loving, she wants to a companion as Megan is to Don, but she just doesn't seem to have the ability to give of herself and demands too much of others.
Not always. Season 1 Betty was a 180 of Betty now. For one parents back then were less cuddly, doting and my kids are my best friend/the greatest smartest, innocent most bestest kids ever than they are now. parents were parents. Children were children unless you were part of a counter culture that started to spring up in the late 60's which on the show is coming. Once Betty found out about Don's philandering and lying she changed big time. I've known women like that. Once scorned it screws with them for the rest of their life and they never recover. Bitter Betty will always hate Don for how he treated her and moving on with a younger woman whom he treats better and will always hold a fistful of darts aimed at Don and Meagan. I think Betty still loves Don and hates herself for it.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:24 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,947,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I agree that we should have better standards and rise about the pettiness. It's an ideal to aspire.

But the writers kept it real. You know one of them who wrote this must have either an ex with kids or is a step-parent. Divorce, remarriage, and kids are intensely emotional, gut-wrenching issues. When you are an older person and you see some hot shot kid trying to displace you under any circumstance (career, marriage), and the hotshot kid makes a mistake, it's human, maybe not morally right, but it is human, to feel a little schadenfreude.

Despite Betty's conflicts with Sally, she is still going to feel possessive about her kids. From Betty's perspective she was telling Megan, "I am the real mother, not you."

This has happened to too many friends who have cried on my shoulder. May you never be dumped by your husband who remarries a younger woman and have to share custody.
That's so kind of you. I don't expect that the people in my life will be with me forever. I would hope that my husband and I have the sort of friendship in which one could tell that the other is having a bit of extracurricular activity. My parents parted as friends. I think when a relationship is going downhill and is shocking either one party willingly has put his head in the sand or the other is a real liar, and good riddance.

Again, I don't see Megan as necessarily wanting Betty's kids. She knows they are part of the 'Don' package and accepts that. Betty is somehow projecting her own emotions onto Meg. She is sort of blinded by her own feelings which is distorting how she sees reality.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:49 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,076,541 times
Enjoyed reading the interview with Jared. Thanks for posting the link BlueWillowPlate.

The writing on this show is outstanding. I had a feeling that Lane might commit suicide but the idea of putting him in a Jaguar (the account they just won) and then the car not starting (after they were complaining the car was crap) was brilliant.

It is so frustrating that when the show finally airs there are so few episodes. I believe next week is the final show already. How many episodes was that? 5 or 6? Just when you get back to remembering what happened last season and get into each of the characters roles the episodes are over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV