Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 03:27 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
no one makes the 12" x 12" natural fissured ceiling tiles I used anymore. Since I want to build a new home theater I will either have no choice but make my own.
Sent you a PM about these
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 04:38 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Hello...my post #2562 addresses this plus tallrick has too. Selectric II was introduced in 1971.

The post by hipnapster, #2565, has a good link and the creator admitted to using the wrong typewriters (#17). He also admitted it in another interview. I guess the viewers are supposed to overlook these things because we're not as creative as they are.

No way was I going through 2565 posts to check on the Selectric II. There evidently wasn't much difference betwen the I and the II. Most offices got by quite well with the manual typewriters even into the mid-60's. The show is pretty darned authentic to us who were there at the time. Nit picking the ceiling tiles etc. is a tad over the top. Silibran is right, the creators weren't there, and they have really done a great job recreating the era; the popularity of the show and 258 pages of conversation about it on this thread equals major popularity.

The percentage of the minutia of details is extremely low compared to everything else that is authentic, and no one can create an era 100% because no one is perfect.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:08 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
No way was I going through 2565 posts to check on the Selectric II. There evidently wasn't much difference betwen the I and the II. Most offices got by quite well with the manual typewriters even into the mid-60's. The show is pretty darned authentic to us who were there at the time. Nit picking the ceiling tiles etc. is a tad over the top. Silibran is right, the creators weren't there, and they have really done a great job recreating the era; the popularity of the show and 258 pages of conversation about it on this thread equals major popularity.

The percentage of the minutia of details is extremely low compared to everything else that is authentic, and no one can create an era 100% because no one is perfect.
Oh sorry, that's why I gave you the number, so there was no need to go through them.

To some office people there was a difference in the typewriters, as noted. "Nit-picking" stuff should be expected by the makers of shows/movies, I think. Come on, if people at home can google these things so can the makers of the shows, eh?!

Manual typewriters - I remember them well - that's what I learned on. Once I got my first office job I was tickled pink with the electric typewriter. After that I found it hard to think I once used a manual!

Anyway, I hope I didn't give the impression of any hard feelings. I'm just one of those people who does expect as much realism as possible and in today's age it is very possible to be super-duper accurate, that's all. I'm o.k. with being "a tad over the top"......sometimes! ha-ha!!

Old 05-17-2013, 05:28 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
In the movie Lincoln, the president goes to a military hospital and greets one of the injured soldiers by name and calls him "Kevin." Kevin?
"Kevin" is the anglicized version of the Irish name "Caoimhín" and has been around since at least the 6th Century when there was Kevin of Glendalough who went on to be made a saint by the Catholic Church.

About 150,000 Irish immigrants were in the Union Army during the Civil War. None of them were named Kevin?

And how can you be forgetting....

Old 05-17-2013, 07:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
"Kevin" is the anglicized version of the Irish name "Caoimhín" and has been around since at least the 6th Century when there was Kevin of Glendalough who went on to be made a saint by the Catholic Church.

About 150,000 Irish immigrants were in the Union Army during the Civil War. None of them were named Kevin?

And how can you be forgetting....
I was surprised when the program tagged a soldier named "Kevin" as extremely unlikely, but sure enough, the Draft Registration records from 1863-1865 show only a single "Kevin" pulled into the entire Union army, compared to many thousands of "Georges" and "Michaels." According to the Social Security Administration, it wasn't until 1912—seven years after Sinn Fein was founded, when trends in Irish nationalism could spread to the United States—that more than five American families a year named a child after Saint Cóemgen.

Nobody Said 'Racial Equality' in 1865: The Anachronistic English of 'Lincoln' - Benjamin Schmidt - The Atlantic

I began my career as a newspaper reporter in 1986 at a small-town weekly and all of the typewriters in the office were manuals!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:23 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
[i], but sure enough, the Draft Registration records from 1863-1865 show only a single "Kevin" pulled into the entire Union army,
Then obviously that was the guy President Lincoln was addressing in the film.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:27 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
I was not around in the early 60's either, but grew up in the 70's when a lot of the old buildings and offices were still around. With just the stuff I have laying around the house I bet I could have done a much better job designing an authentic early 60's set. The point made about the telephones was interesting, but also incorrect. The plastic dial was actually invented in the 1950's and only black phones had an aluminum dial. The older plastic dial was "open faced" and had a clear insert for the phone number. The late 60's on fingerwheel (dial) had a closed face that had to be removed to put in the phone number card. How do I know this? Because I noticed details and collected and still use rotary phones! The more I look at this show the more mistakes I see!

Old 05-17-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
If someone has already posted this, my apologies.

18 Mad Men Anachronisms Spotted by the Internet -- Vulture
Funny how they missed the ever present ceiling of the future on that list. They should have sat down and watched some retro tv shows, or even the Cheech and Chong movie "up in smoke" and looked up when they were in court.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:04 PM

Maybe +
they just wanted to be 60's ish and not realistic. I have seen that before.
The Mike Flowers Pops - Wonderwall - YouTube

Old 05-18-2013, 05:48 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Oh sorry, that's why I gave you the number, so there was no need to go through them.

To some office people there was a difference in the typewriters, as noted. "Nit-picking" stuff should be expected by the makers of shows/movies, I think. Come on, if people at home can google these things so can the makers of the shows, eh?!

Manual typewriters - I remember them well - that's what I learned on. Once I got my first office job I was tickled pink with the electric typewriter. After that I found it hard to think I once used a manual!

Anyway*, I hope I didn't give the impression of any hard feelings. I'm just one of those people who does expect as much realism as possible and in today's age it is very possible to be super-duper accurate, that's all. I'm o.k. with being "a tad over the top"......sometimes! ha-ha!!
Gosh no... it's a fun show, we're trying to figure out the plots as they go along. Some inaccuracies in the minor details is not really important in the grand scheme of things. It's as close to accurate as the producers could manage. For example, finding 20 100% accurate black dial phone for each year as the show progresses, would be next to impossible. Same thing with the typewriters for example. And the books on the desk... well, very few viewers would get a magnifying glass out to see if the book titles were pinpoint accurate.

After 1971 I didn't work in an office, so my frame of reference pretty much ends there. I did buy a word processor for use at home which was a short lived waste of $$.

I'm more interested in the story line. ... and who is Don's next conquest. or, his nemesis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV