Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2013, 12:51 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times

Advertisements

Betty got her groove back, that's for sure!

I think Don is finally realizing that he can't keep doing what he's doing. He needs to figure out what he is going to do with Megan. But then again, Megan's career on that soap is all but over now. She's far too naive for the business anyway.

I don't feel sorry for Peggy. On the one hand she desperately wants to be taken seriously, but then she acts like a little schoolgirl scorned when Abe dumps her. I think she and Don will team up against Ted. Didn't see the spear coming and I can't wait to hear about the article he'll write about the experience. But I do think that Abe is mentally unstable.

Still love Naked Eyes version of (Always) Something There to Remind Me the most, but that wouldn't have been apropos for Mad Men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 01:44 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Peggy's caught in an epic dick-measuring contest between her two mentors, so I don't quite blame her for her actions. She did just get dumped by a hippie who told her that her entire way of life disgusts him. It was funny/sad that on Friday Ted tells her that he's so in love with her that he can't function, and by Monday, when Peggy basically wants him to put up or shut up he acts like nothing happened.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:37 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
[quote=cobolt;29750026][quote=silibran;29748675]
It is significant that Don admits that sex is meaningless to him. Although it must have some meaning because he keeps having sex with people he shouldn't. He pursues women aggressively, and it often pays off for him sexually. Perhaps for him it is the conquest that is a turn on.
Quote:

I think Don may have said sex is meaningless to him because it's always a let down. He also asks why is sex the only way to feel close to a person, and yet Betty reminds him that after the beginning of looking at her "that way" he disconnects, becomes bored. Don tells Betty that just because you climb a mountain doesn't mean you love it, and that he could have held her and felt close, but does he believe that? I think he wants to be that guy, but he isn't. Don likes the beginning of things, the conquest, but ultimately I think he feels empty. The only woman he really connected with which he did not have a sexual relations was Anna. He was Dick Whitman when he was with Anna, and I think he keeps searching for that feeling, and he can't do it being Don. I really believe he wants to "stop doing this" but he's not sure how.

Don is starting to realize that sex does not equal love. He never had a real mother, so he doesn't know the dfiference between the two. A mother's love vs. a woman's love vs. closeness. He's all screwed up.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:45 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I agree with what everyone has said about Abe. He annoyes me too and I'm glad that he's gone (?), although I did know people like that-who defended criminal behavior and thought of all police as the enemy. He kind of reminds me of Meathead from All in the Family.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:50 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I agree with what everyone has said about Abe. He annoyes me too and I'm glad that he's gone (?), although I did know people like that-who defended criminal behavior and thought of all police as the enemy. He kind of reminds me of Meathead from All in the Family.
I was going to say he sounded like my youngest uncle my mothers baby brother the police were the enemy and not just at all and they hassled everyone . But yeah as my dad used to say hippie rhetoric .

Old 05-27-2013, 04:53 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The politics were the same, but Mike became strident while arguing with Archie, and was laid back when he was not. Abe was strident all the time and interpreted everything in a political light. Mike had redeeming humor, Abe did not. Abe would have argued politics with Edith.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:53 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
favorite Meathead moment:

Man Bags - YouTube

Old 05-27-2013, 06:02 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Yes, agree with that too. Meathead was more likeable than Abe. He was good to Edith and loved Gloria and their son. Abe is very self-centered. When Peggy's mother told her that Abe was never going to marry her, he was using her to practice and would eventually marry someone else, I had to agree. Eventually, you know that Abe is going to grow up, get married, move to the burbs and become part of the establishment. He also kind of reminds me of a sociology professor that I had in grad school. What Abe did not understand is that the people that he was defending and protecting, hated and resented him. People like Abe had a change of heart by 1980.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:28 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Betty got her groove back, that's for sure!

I think Don is finally realizing that he can't keep doing what he's doing. He needs to figure out what he is going to do with Megan. But then again, Megan's career on that soap is all but over now. She's far too naive for the business anyway.

I don't feel sorry for Peggy. On the one hand she desperately wants to be taken seriously, but then she acts like a little schoolgirl scorned when Abe dumps her. I think she and Don will team up against Ted. Didn't see the spear coming and I can't wait to hear about the article he'll write about the experience. But I do think that Abe is mentally unstable.

Still love Naked Eyes version of (Always) Something There to Remind Me the most, but that wouldn't have been apropos for Mad Men.
Well, she could be one of these women who does not feel complete without a man in her life. She does seem to bounce from one to another. Did she act like a scorned schoolgirl? I must have missed that.

I don't understand why so many dump on Don. I think he's, as you say, trying to figure things out. I think his quest for some stability in a relationship with a woman, and the lack thereof - he's finally figuring out that the problem is in himself and not in all these women he pairs with.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
The song that played while Don stood outside Sylvia's door was, "Going Out of My Head Over You", and the song that played at the end of The Better Half was, "Always Something There to Remind Me," (and I concur, Naked Eyes has the best version). Sometimes I wonder if the song comes first, script second, or if they write the scripts and then spend hours searching for the most evocative song.

The only person I felt sorry for this episode was Roger. After taking his grandson to see Planet of the Apes (which I have to say I first saw when I was about 4 or 5, and it didn't give me nightmares at all) and getting reamed by his daughter, then trying to do something fatherly for his own son, I understood Joan's position, that Roger isn't dependable. But from Roger's point of view, whether Bob is more dependable isn't the point, Roger IS the father, and from the child's perspective, Bob (who is Bob? I love Roger's "Who are you?"--because we know nothing about Bob except he's wormed his way into the firm, into Joan's life, into Pete's life, but who the heck is Bob?) isn't permanent, either.

I loved that Peggy stabbed Abe. Yes, Abe, it's a great ending for your story. And Peggy, a YEAR from now, when you're dating someone new, and hosting a dinner party, it's a great story for you. How your previous boyfriend talked you into buying a wreck of a building, where your neighbors were violent criminals, and that delusional boyfriend kept talking about fixing this and fixing that, when the reality was he couldn't fix anything. He couldn't fix the windows, he couldn't fix the plumbing, and he couldn't fix the people who lived in the neighborhood who actually stabbed him in the arm, terrorized you, threw rocks through your windows, but whom the boyfriend wouldn't rat-fink on because he wanted to protect them. And how one night, you heard something, and you were investigating with a home-made spear, and your boyfriend came up from behind, and you stabbed him, and that on the way to the hospital, he broke up with you because he always saw YOU as the enemy. That's a great story.

And that's the story Peggy should have told Ted. Because just telling him that she and Abe had broken up made it sound like she was telling Ted she was available. Which she was. But she could have done it in a way that drew him in, and instead she pushed him away. And by the way, Don is right, Ted loves THE idea, but he loves it even more when it's Ted's idea. Don and Ted are just like any other creative people. Their own creations have a special place in their hearts.

Which is why Betty has a special place in Don's heart. And Betty, who is so rarely insightful, totally calls it. It's not that Betty is so beautiful, which she is, but it's when Don can build a fantasy, his own creation, that he becomes fascinated. And as his fantasy decays, in the cold light of reality, his interest fades. And Betty recognizes how it happened in their relationship, and how it is happening in Don's relationship with Megan. Megan the reality cannot live up to Don's fantasy Megan. And the harder Megan tries to please Don, the worse she compares with that fantasy.

But Megan certainly can figure it out. She figured out some other things. I think she manipulated the situation with her boss's wife masterfully. The invitation, the wine, and making it work-related. She knew the other woman would make a pass at her. And the stumbled rejection, it works for Megan. She's made herself the object of desire, and while posturing that she isn't interested, she's left that door cracked. I thought the little giggle after the woman left Megan was very telling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV