Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 06:10 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times

Advertisements

Between his role in Shameless and this one in Mad Men, Harry Hamlin has EVOLVED!

I love how Peggy saved Joan. I hope this Avon account works out for her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 06:21 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
I don't think Joan would have set up the secret meeting with Pete if he had not excluded her. Joan followed company protocol by informing Peggy and then Pete about Avon. To Peggy, she was truthful how Avon fell into her lap as an accident. She did not admit this part to Pete. Machiavellain Pete stabbed Joan in the back by including Peggy and pushing Joan out of this potential account. It's understandable how that upset Joan. It also would have been in the firm's best interests if Joan had been included at the meeting. The Avon representative became interested in using the services of SCDP after he met Joan because of her charisma in the first place. So why have her disappear from the wooing process? Joan certainly has the look of someone who could sell cosmetics. This is a woman's product. Also, the cosmetics industry was one of the rare exceptions of business where hard-headed women wtih a stong business sense ran their empires. Estee Lauder, Elizabeth Arden, Mary Kay (although she had conflicts about being pushed out) were the founders and top bosses of their companies with men as the assistants practically until their deaths. Pete stabbed Joan in the back so Joan retalitated by stabbing him in the back. Typical office antics in the struggle for power.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:48 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Pete stabbed Joan in the back so Joan retalitated by stabbing him in the back. Typical office antics in the struggle for power.
Wasn't Pete following established office protocol? Didn't Ted agree with Pete about who should be at the first meeting? Didn't Pete tell Joan that she would be introduced into the situation after that first meeting?

How is that a stab in the back? He was exercising authority which he was supposed to have. Joan dishonestly went outside normal channels, cut the office accounts manager out of the loop entirely, and did so for selfish reasons. She also sandbagged Peggy, making her an unwitting accomplice.

If Joan wants to be an accounts manager, she should have raised this at one of the meetings of the partners, not acted unilaterally at Pete's expense.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I thought Danny was Mona's nephew, but he was really Jane's cousin??!!!? But Roger's divorce from Jane was amicable, and Jane made out very handsomely from the Sterling fortune, so why do Danny and Roger hate each other?

Also, I think Pete pointing out that going back to Sterling Cooper, the original name of the firm, is kind of like erasing all the work they've done in between. Which might very well be Cutler's intent. By the way, isn't Harry Hamlin just doing a fantastic job with this role?
Is it Danny? I can't remember; anyway he was a relative of Jane's, one of the few Jewish characters in the first few years. Roger was merciless because that's the way Roger is, and Danny had been incompetent. The reason he was interviewed was because of Jane, and the reason he was hired was because Don flubbed up and pitched one of his ideas from the interview and the client loved it. He had to hire the guy then.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Wasn't Pete following established office protocol? Didn't Ted agree with Pete about who should be at the first meeting? Didn't Pete tell Joan that she would be introduced into the situation after that first meeting?

How is that a stab in the back? He was exercising authority which he was supposed to have. Joan dishonestly went outside normal channels, cut the office accounts manager out of the loop entirely, and did so for selfish reasons. She also sandbagged Peggy, making her an unwitting accomplice.

If Joan wants to be an accounts manager, she should have raised this at one of the meetings of the partners, not acted unilaterally at Pete's expense.
Surely you jest! I found the scene where Pete insisted on shutting Joan out, even though she had gotten the account lead herself, and wanted to be included, so true to life. Pete wanted it, didn't want to include Joan, and was furious when Joan shut him out. I thought Christina Hendricks did a fine job of conveying the disappointment and frustration, and then the sheer nerve terror when she put her plan into play.

This sort of thing shows how awful Pete really is. He could have included Joan in this, but chose not to. Remember, when Joan was given a job to do, as an extra duty, and she did it well, then the job was taken from her and given to a man? Same sort of stuff. So true. So true.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:20 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Pete was very vague about including Joan after the first meeting and why shouldn't she be included in the first place? As I said, I think she would have been satisfied if she, Peggy, and Pete went to the first meeting. The only reason she scheduled the secret meeting behind Pete's back was because he was going to exclude her and take most of the credit for bringing the account to the firm. Pete was working for his own interests. As I explained previously, it was in the best interests for the firm, if Joan was included in the FIRST meeting. The Avon rep was already charmed by Joan. We don't know if he would like Pete or Peggy. Joan should have attended the meeting, even if Pete and Peggy did most of the talking. That would have been the most sensible situation for SCDP to win the Avon account. If the Avon rep. liked Pete, then he could become the major account handler, but my guess is that given it is a cosmetics product in a business dominated by females running the show, it would have been in SCDP's best interest to have a woman also part of the account management.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:41 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Surely you jest! I found the scene where Pete insisted on shutting Joan out, even though she had gotten the account lead herself, and wanted to be included, so true to life. Pete wanted it, didn't want to include Joan, and was furious when Joan shut him out. I thought Christina Hendricks did a fine job of conveying the disappointment and frustration, and then the sheer nerve terror when she put her plan into play.

This sort of thing shows how awful Pete really is. He could have included Joan in this, but chose not to. Remember, when Joan was given a job to do, as an extra duty, and she did it well, then the job was taken from her and given to a man? Same sort of stuff. So true. So true.
This.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I thought Danny was Mona's nephew, but he was really Jane's cousin??!!!? But Roger's divorce from Jane was amicable, and Jane made out very handsomely from the Sterling fortune, so why do Danny and Roger hate each other?
We used to call it "cutting someone down." I don't think they hate one another. They were both trying to impress the hippie chick.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:16 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Poor Pete, he gets screwed and everyone cheers.

Joan was entitled to a finder's fee, she was not entitled to alter the office structure unilaterally. I think people here are judging the situation on the basis of Joan being likable and Pete having an off putting personality, not upon what was the right thing to do. Pete is the office accounts manager, it is his job to say who goes to first contact meetings with new clients. That his decision frustrated Joan's ambitions does not entitle her to do what she did.

I addition I cannot help but being sympathetic with Pete when he is in conflict with Joan. Pete was made a partner as a reward for his work. How would you like it if you were in that position and saw someone who reached partnership as a consequence of prostituting herself to a client, being given better treatment than you?

Old 06-03-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Poor Pete, he gets screwed and everyone cheers.

Joan was entitled to a finder's fee, she was not entitled to alter the office structure unilaterally. I think people here are judging the situation on the basis of Joan being likable and Pete having an off putting personality, not upon what was the right thing to do. Pete is the office accounts manager, it is his job to say who goes to first contact meetings with new clients. That his decision frustrated Joan's ambitions does not entitle her to do what she did.

I addition I cannot help but being sympathetic with Pete when he is in conflict with Joan. Pete was made a partner as a reward for his work. How would you like it if you were in that position and saw someone who reached partnership as a consequence of prostituting herself to a client, being given better treatment than you?
Pete should have told Herb where to go when he suggested that SCDP would have a competitive advantage if he is allowed to spend a night with Joan. But, he was all for the idea and presented it to Joan and the other partners as being "good" for the company. Apparently, Pete couldn't get the account on his own. Having made the sacrifice, she deserved the partnership and Pete has no right to complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV