Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 06:28 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Housewives in those days weren't athletic
Maybe not, but preppy girls were and Betty was a preppy girl. She obviously rode. Maybe she played field hockey; field hockey is pretty preppy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Bert's shares will be controlled by whoever Bert has named as his heir (s) in his will.
Bert's sister is a silent partner. That may mean that she has her own shares and Bert voted for her, or it might mean that she co-owned Bert's shares, or any other number of possibilities. But she will figure in to whatever happens next ... if the writers remember that she is a partner, that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 06:30 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Maybe not, but preppy girls were and Betty was a preppy girl. She obviously rode. Maybe she played field hockey; field hockey is pretty preppy.
Probably a little tennis, too.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:35 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Quote:

Bert's sister is a silent partner. That may mean that she has her own shares and Bert voted for her, or it might mean that she co-owned Bert's shares, or any other number of possibilities. But she will figure in to whatever happens next ... if the writers remember that she is a partner, that is.
Don made it quite clear he remembers.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:41 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Don made it quite clear he remembers.
You're right! I forgot he mentioned it in this past episode.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:55 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
I thought he was getting Peggy to do the presentation for Burger Chef so he could fly to meet her and maybe buy her shares and Burt's interest---
that would have been a new Don Draper move--business savy...

I can't believe these people are making deals to sell 51% of this company when in NY state Burt's share/ interest will have to go into probate (I believe) unless there is special language in the contract for this agency that throws all shares back to the company to be bought for cash--
and there again--who has the money to buy Burt's share???
Roger would be the only one I can think of although even he might need financing--
but Roger and Don??? That's a combo...

Old 05-27-2014, 06:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Article about Robert Morse's so sweet and wonderful swan song...
I am hoping we see Don do something with that song and the moon landing to win a big client in the last portion of this season...
Robert Morse was truly wasted on this show---it was a crime to keep him sitting in his office when he could have been giving us wonderful glimpses of Bert's background and experience in the ad business...I know they "used" him--but not enough...
I always enjoyed every minute in Bert's office...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...ry.html#page=1

Last edited by loves2read; 05-27-2014 at 07:08 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 12:25 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
According to this article, NYC started to hire female lifeguards in 1969. Probably still took a few years before they became more common. Beach Life : Beaches of NYC Parks : NYC Parks

Some areas took longer

Ocean City Life-Saving Station Museum
History | Lifeguard Services

Old 05-28-2014, 03:34 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Article about Robert Morse's so sweet and wonderful swan song...
I am hoping we see Don do something with that song and the moon landing to win a big client in the last portion of this season...
Robert Morse was truly wasted on this show---it was a crime to keep him sitting in his office when he could have been giving us wonderful glimpses of Bert's background and experience in the ad business...I know they "used" him--but not enough...
I always enjoyed every minute in Bert's office...

Robert Morse on Bert Cooper's musical 'Mad Men' send-off*-*Los Angeles Times
Bert was integral until they sold out to the Brits and then he became more of the relic of the firm and I think he was very zen about that role.

And I am still surprised at how surprised I was that Bert died … we all thought it would be Roger, but I think Bert's death has brought Roger back to life and that is what was desperately needed.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:21 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:

She was a partner in the original Sterling Cooper agency. When the British people bought them out, they bought her out as well. When Bert, Don, and Roger found out the British were dumping them, they formed a new agency, which Bert's sister was not a part of. And when Lane died, didn't Don tell Lane's wife that this partnership has a provision that when a partner dies, the shares are absorbed back into the company? He gave Lane's wife a check, but it wasn't to buy out Lane's partnership, if I remember correctly, it was supposed to be for the amount of Lane's buy-in to the partnership.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:11 AM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Has anyone seen Ack's depiction of Mad Men?

Mad Men 5.01 & 5.02: The 40-Year-Old Total Opposite of Virgin | The Ack Attack!

A little something to tide us over until next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV