Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 05:34 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,109,095 times

Advertisements

With regard to who knows about Don's actual identity, season six ended with Don's meltdown at the Hershey meeting, the one where he reveals that he was raised in a whorehouse. So whether anyone other than Pete knows that he is actually Dick Whitman, they all know that Don lied about his background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 06:57 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
With regard to who knows about Don's actual identity, season six ended with Don's meltdown at the Hershey meeting, the one where he reveals that he was raised in a whorehouse. So whether anyone other than Pete knows that he is actually Dick Whitman, they all know that Don lied about his background.
Did he ever really talk about his background? For a long time, even Betty knew nothing about his background. So I'm not sure that he technically lied about it if he didn't talk about it.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:13 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,109,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Did he ever really talk about his background? For a long time, even Betty knew nothing about his background. So I'm not sure that he technically lied about it if he didn't talk about it.
I would think that in all those years together, at some point someone must have asked Don what his dad did for a living or where he went to school or if his parents were still alive.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:22 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I would think that in all those years together, at some point someone must have asked Don what his dad did for a living or where he went to school or if his parents were still alive.
He always seemed to dodge the question. Like early on, when he and Betty went out to dinner with Roger and Mona ... he deflected the question.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:24 PM

897 posts, read 1,179,807 times
A real shame the last season is it's best (as far as recent seasons go). This is what they should have been doing from the start if they wanted to keep the series going... *sigh*.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:18 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Agreed. I'm sure people in that sheltered advertising world know how Joan Harris got where is.
I wouldn't hate her guts so much if she hadn't knifed Don in the back when he was in a bad way. He may have deserved it, but I've got no respect for that shallow bimbo.

Roger has no spine. When things get rough for Joan, she just cuts and runs.

Peggy will go further than her in the end and she won't need round heels to get there, although, I'd like to see her get laid more often than she does because she deserves it.

Peggy is ahead of her time and I expect her to thrive in the very early 70s.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:08 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
'Mad Men' Turns Up The Heat As The End Nears

Thought this was a pretty good analysis.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:41 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Dick Whitman has been living as Don Draper for so long that for all intents and purposes he is Don Draper. His intention wasn't to commit fraud--he made sure he took care of Anna. Don Draper owns property, he pays taxes, he has bank accounts, he signs contracts. I don't think that the law would go after him.

I don't expect much closure or loose-end tying from this show, but I'm surprised that there wasn't a mention of the Peggy/Ted dynamic. A year ago (in show time) they were in love and he dumped her to move to LA with his wife. Now Ted's back in New York and divorced with a new girlfriend. How did Peggy react to Ted coming back? Do they work together? Can they get along?

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 04-29-2015 at 09:31 AM..

Old 04-29-2015, 10:41 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Well, Bert knew, but he's gone. Dead men tell no tales, as they say. I can't recall that Roger knows.

I seem to remember Roger giving Don some kind of paternal, verbal slap on the wrist. Because as the two senior partners Bert and Roger didn't keep much from each other. It was the old order and that is how things were done.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:28 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,887 times
This weeks ep was a lot better in terms of pacing and momentum. I'm almost certain now that the last 3 episodes will carry that momentum in a way that the first couple eps didn't.

My favorite part was probably surly Pete getting up in arms about this daughter not being enrolled in the private school. Its a small thing, but that is what makes Mad Men great; not all of the philosophical pondering.

Same with Peggy revealing herself to Stan. Great TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV