Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 03:00 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times

Advertisements

I would take back everything good I ever said about Mad Men if that spoiler came to pass.

Matthew Weiner was on NPR's Fresh Air: 'Mad Men' Creator On Don Draper's Losses And The End Of The Road : NPR (there's a bit of a transcript, but the audio is worth a listen.)

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 05-07-2015 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 12:03 AM

212 posts, read 417,551 times
Don has picked up Bob Dylan.
Roger will jump out the window

Old 05-08-2015, 07:27 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet3 View Post
Regarding Ted's expression, yes, I believe that Ted knows that Don is gone for good, and he's happy for him. Ted's also happy that he's back in NYC now, not as much pressure in his job at M-E, and has a new relationship with a former flame.

As for that spoiler, the more I think about it the more I think she may be on to something.
Spoiler
I'd heard many theories over the years that Don is DB Cooper. When watching last week's episode, and Bert appeared in the car with him, it finally hit me... Bert's last name is COOPER. Just like DB Cooper. I have no idea what took me so long to make that connection. Dick Whitman took the name of a dead man for his new identity, why wouldn't Don do the same thing? D (Don or Dick) B (Bert) Cooper.

I won't be disappointed if that's how it does indeed end. Even though that theory has been floating around for years, I never once gave it any credence. We shall soon find out.
Matthew Weiner was on Conan last night and was asked what was the strangest rumor he had heard regarding the end of the series. He answered that it was the D.B. Cooper business.

So, we can rule that out.

Someone mentioned the hitch hiker maybe being Charles Manson, but Manson was under arrest from December 1969 through his trial and incarceration, so he would not have been out hitch hiking in 1970.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:24 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Mad Men gets a little too on the nose from time to time, but I don't think it'll suddenly turn into Forrest Gump in the last two episodes. Sometimes a hitchhiker is just a hitchhiker.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:11 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Mad Men gets a little too on the nose from time to time, but I don't think it'll suddenly turn into Forrest Gump in the last two episodes. Sometimes a hitchhiker is just a hitchhiker.
And the hitchhiker showed how Don was driving aimlessly and didn't want to go back to NY.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:56 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,269,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
This is very interesting (Possible Spoilers...or not): Did This Woman Predict

Maybe I was wrong...
Spoiler
he's not falling out of a building window, but out of an airplane. In any case it looks like he wants to get lost...and he's doing just that.

I think the little recognition that Ted gave when Don walked out, was kind of a recognition of that...maybe he's gone for good...
I've been thinking plane crash ever since I saw the scene w Neve Campbell.

Now I'm thinking he might *escape* a plane crash but have people convinced that he boarded so all think he's dead. (Again)

Can I get a prize if right?

"I'm supposed to tell you that you missed your flight."

Old 05-09-2015, 06:02 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
Oh boy… I'm not clicking on any spoilers but just the same, I think I'll have to stop reading these posts until after the series ends… I don't want to know what might happen -- just want to be surprised. *sticks fingers in ears*

Old 05-09-2015, 03:27 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Oh boy… I'm not clicking on any spoilers but just the same, I think I'll have to stop reading these posts until after the series ends… I don't want to know what might happen -- just want to be surprised. *sticks fingers in ears*

Me too. Usually I don't care at all about spoilers but this is the one exception.

I really love the way the show has added real scenarios that, if you lived during the times it portrayed, you can pick up on. If you didn't, it just makes it all the more entertaining.

There was a real under-story of Dawn leaving the ad agency for Travelers Insurance. Large insurance companies were just beginning to bring in minorities and women into better paying jobs thanks to the EEOC. Many friends and family members brought in other friends and family members. Remember Dawn said she had a cousin or a friend, I forget which, working there? Hiring an African American woman filled a double spot for these companies. Two minorities for the price of one.

I am not African American but I was able to get a job as a claims examiner at a well known insurance company that had turned me down a couple of years before because they only hired men to do that job. I had a college degree and experience at a smaller company but I didn't have a penis so I didn't qualify. A couple years later, thanks to the women's movement and the EEOC and some nice class action lawsuits a friend encouraged me to re-apply. This time I got the job.

Someone wrote that scene with Dawn and Roger showing Roger's A-HA moment where Dawn subtly kept trying to tell him why she didn't want to stay at the new company with that kind of situation in mind I'm sure. There would have been much better opportunities for her both as an Black person and a woman at Travelers. We saw that the way they treated Joan and the way the tried to treat Peggy. Equal Opportunity had not yet been successful everywhere.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Me too. Usually I don't care at all about spoilers but this is the one exception.

I really love the way the show has added real scenarios that, if you lived during the times it portrayed, you can pick up on. If you didn't, it just makes it all the more entertaining.

There was a real under-story of Dawn leaving the ad agency for Travelers Insurance. Large insurance companies were just beginning to bring in minorities and women into better paying jobs thanks to the EEOC. Many friends and family members brought in other friends and family members. Remember Dawn said she had a cousin or a friend, I forget which, working there? Hiring an African American woman filled a double spot for these companies. Two minorities for the price of one.

I am not African American but I was able to get a job as a claims examiner at a well known insurance company that had turned me down a couple of years before because they only hired men to do that job. I had a college degree and experience at a smaller company but I didn't have a penis so I didn't qualify. A couple years later, thanks to the women's movement and the EEOC and some nice class action lawsuits a friend encouraged me to re-apply. This time I got the job.

Someone wrote that scene with Dawn and Roger showing Roger's A-HA moment where Dawn subtly kept trying to tell him why she didn't want to stay at the new company with that kind of situation in mind I'm sure. There would have been much better opportunities for her both as an Black person and a woman at Travelers. We saw that the way they treated Joan and the way the tried to treat Peggy. Equal Opportunity had not yet been successful everywhere.
Hate to tell you that scene did not involve Dawn. The character's name was Shirley. Dawn had been Don's secretary, and then later became the office manager. I don't know what has happened to her.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:55 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Hate to tell you that scene did not involve Dawn. The character's name was Shirley. Dawn had been Don's secretary, and then later became the office manager. I don't know what has happened to her.
Okay, sorry for the mistake. I got the names mixed up. I frequently do that in real life too. Just ask my cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV