Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2009, 11:02 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
To me the best part of last night's episode was Peggy saying, "I am so high." The rest just seemed "off" to me. It was interesting to see Joan playing the accordian and singing.

Didn't Peggy's secretary look like a female Sal?

Don't really care for the new guy Smitty who was working with Peggy & Paul.
I liked, "I'm Peggy Olson and I want to smoke marijuana." A lot of posters think it's moving too slow and plot lines aren't being developed. I wonder what the age demographics are for people watching MM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 11:06 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I liked, "I'm Peggy Olson and I want to smoke marijuana." A lot of posters think it's moving too slow and plot lines aren't being developed. I wonder what the age demographics are for people watching MM.
I'm between the ages of 30 and 45...

Last edited by lovemaine; 08-31-2009 at 11:52 AM..

Old 08-31-2009, 11:15 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
I think the producers are taking advantage of the summer of '63, because they are building to such dramatic events. This season should culminate with the assassination of JFK. So right now there is a sort of lull in the action that mirrors actual history, and we're seeing more character development. Plus the seeds. Is Don going to land the Hilton hotel chain because of that little meeting in the bar? Joan's doctor is way more than creepy. How long before Joan figures out she's got to get away from him? What happens when he snaps? Peggy's demand to smoke marijuana was made from a position of innocence, still possible at this point in history, still possible from the context of Peggy. This episode was all about innocence and cracks in that innocence. From Betty's feeling of discomfort at having her belly touched, innocent, and not innocent. Jane asking why Don doesn't like her. Innocent and not innocent. Even Roger performing in blackface. Innocent and not innocent. Sally stealing. Innocent and not innocent. All of these characters live in a world of facades, playing peekaboo with reality. I think this episode was showing how fragile those facades are, and letting us see glimpses of the dangerous undercurrents.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:00 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
I liked Peggy's assertion last night: "I have an office, I can do whatever I want." I don't think that she is being arrogant so much as she has realized that she is "one of the boys" and can therefore act like one and not have to conform to the standards that are set for women during that period. The last two episodes have actually been about her liberation. She has certainly been on that path all along but now her actions are much bolder and she doesn't feel guilt about being independent. I like her storyline.
I loved the scene with Joan playing the accordion and resolving her hubby's hissy fit re: seating. It shows her as being just as capable as a house manager as an office manager. So many times, women are labled as "either/or." I like that the show portrays her as capable in many respects (even the accordion.)
Is it my imagination or is everyone really pissed off with Roger Sterling for leaving his wife and marrying Jane? People are still polite to him but they have clearly lost respect for him.
Honestly, I liked last night's episode b/c it had nothing to do with the Brits; I don't like that Sterling Cooper has been sold. But even I thought that it was a bit odd that the Brits were featured in two episodes and have now suddenlt disappeared.
I agree that the writing/plot lines this season are off.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:02 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
I am already enjoying this season more than the last. It seemed to me, by the end of the last season, that they were spinning out in too many directions without any clear direction of where they were going. Glad to see they are bringing it all back home again.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:06 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Quote:
I'm old enough that I LIVED through this time and was part of the changes that took place for women. Women my age began in one era...changed the rules...and are now retiring in an era when people seem to believe that "it's always been this way." They have no idea.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:40 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I liked Peggy's assertion last night: "I have an office, I can do whatever I want." I don't think that she is being arrogant so much as she has realized that she is "one of the boys" and can therefore act like one and not have to conform to the standards that are set for women during that period. The last two episodes have actually been about her liberation. She has certainly been on that path all along but now her actions are much bolder and she doesn't feel guilt about being independent. I like her storyline.
I loved the scene with Joan playing the accordion and resolving her hubby's hissy fit re: seating. It shows her as being just as capable as a house manager as an office manager. So many times, women are labled as "either/or." I like that the show portrays her as capable in many respects (even the accordion.)
Is it my imagination or is everyone really pissed off with Roger Sterling for leaving his wife and marrying Jane? People are still polite to him but they have clearly lost respect for him.
Honestly, I liked last night's episode b/c it had nothing to do with the Brits; I don't like that Sterling Cooper has been sold. But even I thought that it was a bit odd that the Brits were featured in two episodes and have now suddenlt disappeared.
I agree that the writing/plot lines this season are off.
Nice post. I think that makes a lot of sense about Peggy. And I agree generally people think less of Sterling. Ther's a taint to his divorcing. I do think there's more to their marriage than the typical May-September trophy wife, I'm curious how their relationship will unfold.

I really liked the scene with Joan playing the accordion too. It was sooo Joan, but still so loaded with subtext of the relationship. Very interesting.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:51 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I loved the scene with Joan playing the accordion and resolving her hubby's hissy fit re: seating. It shows her as being just as capable as a house manager as an office manager.
"I don't want to fight."
"Then stop talking."

Love Joan.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:58 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
Nice post. I think that makes a lot of sense about Peggy. And I agree generally people think less of Sterling. Ther's a taint to his divorcing. I do think there's more to their marriage than the typical May-September trophy wife, I'm curious how their relationship will unfold.

I really liked the scene with Joan playing the accordion too. It was sooo Joan, but still so loaded with subtext of the relationship. Very interesting.
Remember the scene with Betts and Sterling in the kitchen last season. It looked like the shoe was on the other foot when Don tried to help Jane at the party. Don has enough sense not to play around with women at the agency. I do think there could be some truth to Roger's claim that some men might be jealous of his decision to marry a younger woman.
I actually felt sorry for Pete and his wife when the others were discussing children at the party. Pete and Peggy seem to have established a satisfactory working relationship after her admission last season.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:20 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
Quote:
...I actually felt sorry for Pete and his wife when the others were discussing children at the party.
Perhaps that's why they took over the dance floor with their well choreographed dance moves. They were trying to show their strengths to make up for their lack of a family.

Quote:
Pete and Peggy seem to have established a satisfactory working relationship after her admission last season.
Yeah, that still bugs me. Peggy dropped a bombshell and we viewers didn't get to see Pete dealing with the news. Maybe that will come later this season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV