Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 01:24 PM

468 posts, read 523,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet3 View Post

Yes, I also thought that someone at the VFW hall was going to recognize Don. (That was Roy from The Office!) But, of course, that's what they wanted us to think.
Floyd, the older vet in that scene, with the beard, was Max Gail, who played "Wojo" Wojciehowicz on Barney Miller. I recognized his distinctive grin immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 01:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Maybe Don used American Express Travelers Cheques. They were certainly around then.

The segment with Betty was so sad. I think her decision was in keeping with her character though. She knew the last year of her life would either be spent in misery caused by treatments that would probably fail along with the misery caused by the Cancer or just misery caused by the Cancer. For her it was a no-brainer.

Don will come back to be with her for a little while I'm sure. Then maybe disappear again. I don't think he will stick around even for his kids. I hope Pete isn't making a mistake and will fail but given his track record I think he will. I really haven't a guess about the rest.

I can't wait until next week and the finale. I am going to have it on record while I'm watching. No one better come to my door or call me. I won't answer either.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:02 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
I wonder if the final song of Mad Men will be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib-Qiyklq-Q

Old 05-12-2015, 02:04 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Calm Down there. It is a valid question considering Don's location. He isn't in a major city. He is out in the middle of nowhere at some mom/pop motel.

Credit Cards didn't go mainstream until the mid/late 60's. Chances are, small rural towns didn't adopt into this until much later. Heck, I remember as a kid in farm country Maryland in the early/mid 80s where there were places that still did not take credit cards.

The history of credit cards
Small, rural towns still had banks where someone passing through could cash checks, or have their own banks wire them money. I'm pretty sure even the dinky town Don was in had phone lines.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:07 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Exactly. The reason I kept thinking about this was wondering how he could pay the mechanic (who overcharges no less) when it's a town with no restaurants, no liquor stores, etc.? Maybe that's a pile o'cash in his Sears bag? The reality of the question is intriguing...though I'm certainly glad Weiner and Co. aren't beholden to period reality so much that they show us Don taking a trip to a nearby Western Union location, or taking the time to discuss the finer points of credit card acceptance in rural Oklahoma. That's a great discussion for us here on a forum.

On another issue, I rewatched Kennedy V. Nixon from season 1 to see the scene where Pfc Whitman accidentally starts the explosion that killed Lt. Draper. During the scene where Pete tells Cooper about Don's true identity, the octopus print from last episode is seen hanging on the wall. That cracked me up...love how this show keeps continuity at the forefront.
The town DID have restaurants and liquor stores. It was just like many rural areas, you needed a car to get around. Don didn't have a car. The motel had a kid that would obtain meals and liquor and deliver them to guests who didn't have cars. For a price.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:12 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
I thought the scenes with the hotel worker kid and the guys who beat up Don were way too distracting from our MadMen storyline. I would have much preferred to see more closure scenes, or other things directly related to the stories we've invested all these years of watching in. A kid steals money and Don gets blamed? Then a bunch of middle-aged men beating up Don? Ugh.
Don saved that kid from a life of bad con jobs by not turning him in and by giving him a car, giving him the opportunity to leave town and reinvent himself, just like Dick Whitman did when he became Don Draper.

I would have kicked that kid's ass clear to Nevada myself, but Don seemed to recognize something of himself in the kid.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:21 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamz View Post
Floyd, the older vet in that scene, with the beard, was Max Gail, who played "Wojo" Wojciehowicz on Barney Miller. I recognized his distinctive grin immediately.
That is one of the pleasant surprises in this second half: bigger name guest stars. Or, if you prefer, the "hey it's that guy from that thing..." factor is much higher. Wojo, Roy from the Office, Captain Pike from the Star Trek reboot, and my wife informed me that the waitress Don was pursuing was in the Twilight movies.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:22 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Small, rural towns still had banks where someone passing through could cash checks, or have their own banks wire them money. I'm pretty sure even the dinky town Don was in had phone lines.
You are correct. I was addressing the point made about credit cards being around in the 70s. Yes Don can get to a bank and have money wired in. As a side note, Don doesn't strike me as the type of person who would even use credit. Because he is stuck in the past on everything else in his life, he is a cash guy. He will always have plenty of cash on him. Plus, think of the envelope that was filled with money. He easily has enough money on him to zig zag across the country.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:09 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Maybe Don used American Express Travelers Cheques. They were certainly around then.
True, but the way he left New York wasn't really planned. I don't think that he walked out of the that meeting at McCann and went to the bank to get some traveler's checks or cash before he left for Wisconsin. He had whatever was in his wallet and the clothes on his back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I don't think he will stick around even for his kids.
I'd hope that after everything that Don wouldn't abandon Sally. The boys? Meh. Henry can take 'em.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:11 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Read something over on Grantland that made me pause. Pete's going to work for Learjet. His father died in a plane crash. How's that for irony?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV