Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 12:11 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times

Advertisements

Do we think that Don/Dick manned up and took care of his kids eventually? Because a father who wouldn't take care of his own children after the death of their mother is just TOO flawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 12:15 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Do we think that Don/Dick manned up and took care of his kids eventually? Because a father who wouldn't take care of his own children after the death of their mother is just TOO flawed.
At first I thought no way. But then I was thinking it's possible that he really did find peace and then care for them. But then I thought, well, Don takes off and returns a lot, so it's probably just more of the same old Don. So, who knows? I'm thinking if he did that Coke ad then he didn't have time for them. Let's hope he at least went back to weekend visits!

Old 05-18-2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
That's an idea. Frankly, i thought that storyline was a bit too "campy."
Lol, sorry, I meant to write Joan, not Stan! I corrected it.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:20 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I was trying to figure out if they implied that.

I was also trying to figure out the money that must have changed hands for their "product placement since seasons 1-4 was Pepsi, Patio, and Mountain Dew.
It wasn't implied, they pretty much threw it at us.

Don is sitting on the ocean's edge. He's surrounded by happy, peaceful people. He has a deep smile on his face. He's finally resolved his demons, he understands who he is, and he's ok with it. From his new happy place, he has this great idea...

Then it cuts to his commercial. Singing kids, happy, peaceful. Don just created one of the most memorable ad campaigns in history.

I doubt Coke paid anything. Matthew Weiner didn't accept money for product placement.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:40 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Don is sitting on the ocean's edge. He's surrounded by happy, peaceful people. He has a deep smile on his face. He's finally resolved his demons, he understands who he is, and he's ok with it.
My impression of the scene was that instead of throwing himself off the cliff as I feared he might, Don had found a way to carry on by embracing silly new age spiritualism. The chanting is, like the booze, a way to temporarily avoid the demons. But he's too perceptive and too much of a realist to stay in that place for long.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:44 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
We were left to interpret Don's fate as we wish, which is probably a better way of closing out the character than either he lived happily ever after or he killed himself.

I knew that I would not like the ending no matter what because I don't like that it is ending. With that impossible to overcome prejudice, I will rate it a fairly satisfactory closure. The Peggy/Stan romance did seem both out the blue and a rather too E-Z way to wrap up her story. Joan's saga was very well handled. She got her own business started, but also learned that she can't have it all.

The Roger and Pete stories were already wrapped up, tonight we just saw a tableau here and there of their futures.

My main complaint about the way it was handled was that we spent too much time this season with people who were really little more than expository devices...the waitress, the Vets, the people at the retreat. I would rather that time spent with strangers had been invested the characters we have been following.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:47 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
What a great ending. The Coke story was being pushed over the last several episodes and even in Don's phone call to Peggy, and I suspected it would be this one (like many other fans) and wasn't disappointed!

As far as the musical numbers go, I was impressed by tonights pre-show clip using Times of Your Life because it perfectly captured the end of the series AND immediately made me think of the famous Kodak commercial from the 70's that used that song! Advertising within advertising...

There were many closing songs in this series that got me feeling the moods the story set. One I remember was when You Only Live Twice played as Don watched Megan getting primped up and ready for her "second life".

Old 05-18-2015, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
We were left to interpret Don's fate as we wish, which is probably a better way of closing out the character than either he lived happily ever after or he killed himself.

I knew that I would not like the ending no matter what because I don't like that it is ending. With that impossible to overcome prejudice, I will rate it a fairly satisfactory closure. The Peggy/Stan romance did seem both out the blue and a rather too E-Z way to wrap up her story. Joan's saga was very well handled. She got her own business started, but also learned that she can't have it all.

The Roger and Pete stories were already wrapped up, tonight we just saw a tableau here and there of their futures.

My main complaint about the way it was handled was that we spent too much time this season with people who were really little more than expository devices...the waitress, the Vets, the people at the retreat. I would rather that time spent with strangers had been invested the characters we have been following.
You didn't care for Supergirl running the retreat group???

Old 05-18-2015, 01:13 AM

850 posts, read 1,026,680 times
I loved how Sally, Betty (smoking to the end) and Joan wrapped up. Roger and his mom - LOL! I'm a huge Allison Brie fan so I'm glad Trudy gets her dream back. Peggy was great too but the way she and Stan coupled up seemed forced as did when Don hugged his fellow office escapee. Yes, I get that this was supposed to be him breaking new ground. A small thing, the bearded guy in red at the retreat - it was jarring to see him there because he was also in the Judy Greer series last season - playing a very similar character BTW.

As for Don, honestly I didn't love how he wrapped up. But since I really don't know if I wanted a happy or stoic/sad ending, it was what it was. When the Coke ad was begin sung cynical me thought about those diversity engineered United Colors of Benetton ads. So the show ended on a product placement - iconic yes , not paid for, thank goodness. Mad Men ends with an ad...

Hey, I'm not that great at seeing the artsy stuff so I figure I'll learn from others here about that.

Bottomline, thanks for tremendously enjoyable 7 seasons MM and MW and all involved.

ps I'm trying to place the young guy racer at the beginning who asked Don to stake them. He was a child actor in something fairly big but I can't remember.

pps OMG that was Supergirl! - I feel old now...and Don's "luggage" changed from a Sears bag to Pennys.

Last edited by jayway; 05-18-2015 at 02:16 AM..

Old 05-18-2015, 04:07 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I wonder if the final song of Mad Men will be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib-Qiyklq-Q
nailed it.

Honestly, when I saw it at the end, I groaned. If this middle aged housewife in the midwest can call it, that's the definition of predictable.

I thought the Stan and Peggy thing was contrived. Peggy had to convince herself to say she loved Stan. She doesn't. But he's the last thing left of her old life at SC. Peggy has a hard time moving forward. Look what Roger had to do to get her to move forward?

Loved Joan's ending
Loved Betty's ending … smoke 'em if ya got 'em!
Roger and Marie Calvet … they are going to kill each other … at the same time.

Pete and Trudy … perfect! Can you imagine Trudy being the queen of Wichita? Perfect.

Don's character ending was the best character ending since everyone died at the series finale of 6 Feet Under. The only thing I would have changed is during Don's second "ooooom" I would have had him open his eyes right at the camera and then go to black and then into the Coke ad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV