Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2015, 04:37 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Advertisements

I was disappointed--
can't lie--
if Weiner says he thought all this out in S4 he is lying

the only one I was really happy with was Joan's
and Peter's I guess---he has made me so angry over the past storylines but Peter was really pretty good with his job and finally someone gave him some credit for it....just hope he doesn't wind up in wind shear...

Nothing bad happened to Harry which was a shame
and Roger deserves Marie--I just hope he put Kevin's money in trust because Marie will steal it...

and WHY are Betty's kids at home alone w/o some type of companion/house keeper/nurse--
that is so NOT what someone in Henry Francis's position would be doing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 04:40 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
and Roger deserves Marie--I just hope he put Kevin's money in trust because Marie will steal it...
LOL! Good point.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:23 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I was disappointed--
can't lie--
if Weiner says he thought all this out in S4 he is lying
That's not what he said. He said after he went thru the acrimonious negotiations with AMC (edit: Lionsgate, not AMC) for Season four, he came up with two end points (not sure how negotiations are related, but that's what he said): The Coke ad would be the big finish, and Betty's cancer.

I can't find the exact article (too many Mad Men articles in my history to narrow down ), but here's one:

Matthew Weiner explains the Mad Men ending ? or not
Quote:
Asked when he realized that Betty was going to die, he joked, "Well, they're all going to die." But he said he felt that early on, given that she begins the series mourning the recent death of her mother, and that he liked the tragedy of her finally "realizing her purpose in life right when she ran out of time."

Old 05-21-2015, 05:27 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Found it! Google is effing amazing...

Matthew Weiner Talks 'Mad Men' Finale, And Yes, He Freaking Loves That Coke Ad
Quote:
Weiner knew the series would end with the Coke commercial as early as after Season Four, when he and Lionsgate went head-to-head on contract negotiations before signing a three-season deal. Even earlier than that, he knew Betty would end the show dying of lung cancer.

“I knew very early on,†he said. “Her mother had just died in the pilot. And I thought this woman wasn’t going to live long. And we love the idea of her realizing her purpose in life right when she ran out of time. … I think there’s a lesson to be learned about the randomness of things, and she also has some predispositions and some fairly serious cancer-causing behavior.â€

Old 05-21-2015, 08:23 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,634 times
Thx for the correction!!

Old 05-21-2015, 11:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Mad Style: Person to Person | Tom & Lorenzo Fabulous & Opinionated

This is one of the best articles about the show's finale that I have read. It isn't so much did he or didn't he, but how the show was artistically put together. I like Tom and Lorenzo's recaps of the episodes, and I admit I will miss their articles about Mad Men almost as much a I will miss Mad Men itself.

I hope you enjoy the article.

And I want to bid adieu to this thread. I have loved Mad Men, I still think about it, but I am ready to move on now. It has been a great show for me. I have been as mystified as anyone, but I have admired it. I have grown angry and impatient with the characters, but I wanted to always know about their lives. IMO, it was a great show.

Maybe another great one will come my way in a year or two.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:18 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
You can listen to this recent podcast with Matthew Weiner

Matthew Weiner | A.M. Homes | The New York Public Library

Old 05-22-2015, 05:22 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
I can see how he planned Betty's death from the beginning. Remember the ep when Sally's roommate's mother died? Sally was sitting on the bed in the dorm saying how she WISHED Betty would die…

Old 05-22-2015, 03:24 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Now that it is over we can discuss our favorite characters and moments in the series.

Roger was my favorite, I loved his dry wit and sarcasm. His best line may have been when Lane and Pete were squaring off to duke it out...Roger says "I know cooler heads should prevail, but does anyone else want to see this?" He was also the closest thing Don had to a true male friend. Of all the characters on the show, Roger was the most comfortable with his own identity, he never went through a crisis of personality, he was completely secure with who he was, where he was and what he was doing.

The best moment of the series I thought was the entire Lane suicide arc. That was handled so brilliantly and with such black humored pathos. Blow after blow kept landing on Lane as all his plans to dig himself out of his tax debt problem kept going awry, and always in some public setting where he had to pretend that the blow was actually good news. His wife giving him the Jaguar was a clever touch, and then the Jag failing to start when he tried to kill himself in it. The body discovering scene was terrific, as was the scene where Roger reads what everyone thinks is going to be Lane's explanatory suicide note and instead it turns out to just be his letter of resignation from the firm.

I thought this story arc was also extremely well done, and should probably disclose that I have a huge crush on Jared Harris and think he is quite sexy (I realize I am probably in a small group of people who think that).

Old 05-22-2015, 08:15 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
[/b]

I thought this story arc was also extremely well done, and should probably disclose that I have a huge crush on Jared Harris and think he is quite sexy (I realize I am probably in a small group of people who think that).
I loved Harris in The Riches. I hated the scene where the men cut him down from the ceiling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV