Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 11:08 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,422,154 times

Advertisements

I say that History Channel has strayed away from what it was when that channel first began and that is telling real history, now for shows like when they talk about mechanical things such as Marvel or something thats good, but for shows like Life After People should be on another channel like Discovery Channel. I mean think about it....Life AFTER People not BEFORE People, why do we care if the world goes down without us since we're vanished from Earth? I mean I like the show and all but for being on History channel that has the show has nothing to do with history? So, what part of "history" is the History Channel is showing and this goes for other shows on that channel that has nothing to do with history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 11:34 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,974,838 times
Because it represents an interesting perspective as to how we people may have contributed to the growth and demise of Earth.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:22 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Well, they use what we know about ancient ruins and such to help determine what will happen to all the things we've built after we're gone. I distinctly remember them showing the Cambodian ruins at one point so they do weave history into it as examples of how nature takes everything back. Essentially the show is about how man made creations age and deteriorate and if that's not a part of history, I don't know what is.

Also, history is always linked to the future... that's not to say THC should be airing sci-fi but in my experience, historians are always asking "how will this be remembered in history?" and Life After People is sort of an answer to that. It shows us what will happen to our world when we are merely a part of history ourselves. Will we be remembered? Will our creations last and for how long? If another civilization came across our ruins, what would they see? What might they derive from it? So it IS about history - just one that hasn't happened yet.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:20 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Life After People is both relevant to the show's focus, but some of them like Top Shot (although a very good show in it's own right) are not.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:48 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Life After People is both relevant to the show's focus, but some of them like Top Shot (although a very good show in it's own right) are not.
They for some reason saw the need for some type of reality show, I think Top Shot was a far better choice than some of the other crap out there, at least it has some historical firearms/weapons

Old 03-13-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Well, they use what we know about ancient ruins and such to help determine what will happen to all the things we've built after we're gone. I distinctly remember them showing the Cambodian ruins at one point so they do weave history into it as examples of how nature takes everything back. Essentially the show is about how man made creations age and deteriorate and if that's not a part of history, I don't know what is.

Also, history is always linked to the future... that's not to say THC should be airing sci-fi but in my experience, historians are always asking "how will this be remembered in history?" and Life After People is sort of an answer to that. It shows us what will happen to our world when we are merely a part of history ourselves. Will we be remembered? Will our creations last and for how long? If another civilization came across our ruins, what would they see? What might they derive from it? So it IS about history - just one that hasn't happened yet.
I see what your saying and good point.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
They for some reason saw the need for some type of reality show, I think Top Shot was a far better choice than some of the other crap out there, at least it has some historical firearms/weapons
That's a good thing cause' we guys(some women out there) are gun fanatics too. Same goes for Ice Road Truckers which is my favorite show and THAT is reality.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:37 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times
The History Channel is "pop" history. It's primary purpose is to entertain, not to represent historic accuracy.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:41 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Like Ice Road Truckers and Ax Men? I guess if they get enough viewers, they would program anything and call it history.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:46 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Probably for the same reason that A&E shows Sopranos reruns and the Biography Channel airs Celebrity Ghost stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV