Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 08:39 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
A little hint of things to come:

"Downton Abbey is apparently set to have its first black character as part of a storyline about race relations.
Producers of the ITV period drama are looking for an actor to play 1920s musician Jack Ross in series four, the Sun reported.
According to the newspaper, casting notes were sent out earlier this month describing Jack as "Male, 25-30. A musician (singer) at an exclusive club in the 20s. He's black and very handsome. A real man (not a boy) with charm and charisma."
The notes add that the "very attractive" character will have "a certain wow factor".
Other new characters are said to include Lord Anthony Gillingham, a new love interest for recently widowed Lady Mary Crawley, and party-loving Sir John Bullock."

I don't have any problem with future happenings but beware of the spoiler committee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 12:46 PM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
My wife is a big fan of the show having only watched this past season. A funny FYI for all you DA fans.... On the season finale of Suits (USA Network) one of the main characters "Mike" gets into a discussion about DA with a new possible owner of the law firm, "Darby". Darby is English, never saw DA but heard it was good. Later in the show, Darby says he bought season one on DVD to watch on his trip to the left coast. Then "Mike", because he is now "angry" at the Darby, tells him to "be sure to watch Episode 3", then he spoils it for him.

My wife and I thought that was pretty funny.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:43 PM

475 posts, read 648,553 times
Default Downton Abbey mentioned in another TV show!

One of the characters in "Switched at Birth" (Bay) also mentioned Downton Abbey when describing someone's especially nice behavior, lol, in last night's episode.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:38 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'm going through Downton Abbey withdrawls...ohhhhhh so long to wait for next season
Yes indeed! A long 11 months.

To fill the time, I'm going to dig out one of my favorite books (I posted this over on the Books forum).

Amanda/Miranda by Richard Peck.

Takes place in Britain 100 or so years ago, involving both the servants and upstairs family of an old estate.

If you look for this, make sure you don't get the "young adult/abridged" version. (It's not racy but I guess there are some "mature" themes). I've re-read this book a number of times.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:27 PM

Pamuk is back!!

Ok, not really. I mean, he's still dead and all that. But the actor who played him, Theo James, is starring in a new NYC crime drama called Golden Boy. I just saw the pilot and kept staring (drooling) at him, but never figured it out. He's playing an American cop, although he is quite British.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:13 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Originally Posted by in_newengland

"Downton Abbey is apparently set to have its first black character as part of a storyline about race relations.
Producers of the ITV period drama are looking for an actor to play 1920s musician Jack Ross in series four, the Sun reported.
According to the newspaper, casting notes were sent out earlier this month describing Jack as "Male, 25-30. A musician (singer) at an exclusive club in the 20s. He's black and very handsome. A real man (not a boy) with charm and charisma."
The notes add that the "very attractive" character will have "a certain wow factor".
Other new characters are said to include Lord Anthony Gillingham, a new love interest for recently widowed Lady Mary Crawley, and party-loving Sir John Bullock."

------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have any problem with future happenings but beware of the spoiler committee.

What is the spoiler committee?

Old 02-27-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
A little hint of things to come: Downton Abbey is apparently set to have its first black character as part of a storyline about race relations.
Is anyone else worried that DA is becoming a little too "preachy". Episodes about worker's rights, women's rights, gay rights, and now race relations.... I'm all for "look at how far we've progressed as a society since those times", but can't I draw that conclusion for myself?

Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Other new characters are said to include Lord Anthony Gillingham, a new love interest for recently widowed Lady Mary Crawley..."
Bracing myself for another jarring time jump. A love interest? Already? Let the poor lady grieve for a bit!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:33 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
From yesterday's Fresh Air: Historical Vocab: When We Get It Wrong, Does It Matter? : NPR

Quote:
Those clangers are just too weirdly modern to ignore. It's not that Fellowes lacks an ear for the speech of the Edwardian age; it's that he doesn't seem to have much of an ear for the speech of this one. But I give a pass to anachronisms if they don't jump out at me. No, Mrs. Patmore probably wouldn't have said "when push comes to shove," and Lord Grantham should have waited a couple of decades before telling his chauffeur to step on it. But that isn't the problem with Downton's vision of the past. Even when the characters are speaking authentic period words, they aren't using them to express authentic period thoughts. The earl who frets over his duties as a job creator, the servants grappling with their own homophobia — those are comfortable modern reveries. Drop any of them into a drawing-room comedy by Shaw or Pinero, and they'd be as out of place as a flat-screen TV.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:30 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
From the last paragraph: "Actually, the linguist in me wouldn't have minded more of that unsettled feeling. A historical novel or screenplay should give us a translation, not a transcription. And a great translation allows us to hear the alien language rustling in the background. What would it be like to have a Lincoln we couldn't so comfortably and easily make our own?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV