Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 11:31 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
With O'Brien leaving, I'll have to find someone new to despise now.
I never saw her as someone to despise. She's someone who was well equipped to rise in her own little nitch and did so using all the resorces available. When her nephew arrived, then she found a little more to connect to which wasn't disposable. But I think she was one who was in service for the simple reason it was the best alternative and for her there never has been anything invested in the social side of service aside from it serving her position.

They are in a huge time of change and she would be one of the first to leave for greater opportunities like she tried when the war ended.

To Mr. Carlson, he is a part of the place with a well defined nitch and would be happy to die in that place. To O'Brien, it is a job and she'll do the best she can for herself, but if something better is out there, will leave it behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 06:41 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
I will be very sorry to see O'Brien to go. IMO, the best season is still the first season and watching her and Thomas stealing a moment for a smoke gave the show its character.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:11 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I love DA so much that I bit the bullet and bought the complete set of Upstairs/Downstairs. Set me back a pretty penny but there are 21 CDs in the set. The first 3-4 episodes are in black and white. Seems to me that they said those episodes were never shown in the US.

It's so ironic that I have done this because I never watched U/D. I thought it would be boring but DA has opened a closed door for me and now I can watch U/D while waiting for DA to start up again.

The scene I thought was so touching was when they were playing cricket and our guys won. There was quite a hug with Robert and his two sons-in-law. I knew what was coming and that made it even more touching.
Ketabcha...

I recently discovered DA and have just about finished season two and it won't take long to finish season 3 and I'll be so antsy waiting for season 4 I may give Upstairs Downstairs a whirl I'm hoping between Netflix and Amazon prime I won't have to actually buy it

I'll have to search for a thread on that show to find out how many seasons..

Old 03-07-2013, 09:40 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Ketabcha...

I recently discovered DA and have just about finished season two and it won't take long to finish season 3 and I'll be so antsy waiting for season 4 I may give Upstairs Downstairs a whirl I'm hoping between Netflix and Amazon prime I won't have to actually buy it

I'm currently watching Season 1 of Upstairs Downstairs. My library has all the seasons available on DVD for free! Check out your local library.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Ketabcha...

There are seven. The first season there were some not shown in the US because they were in black and white due to a strike. Watch both versions of episode one, as they scenes dropped relate to later ones. Later, pbs showed the 'lost' episodes in one of the reruns.

I got my dvd's on a black friday special from Amazon at well over half price and considered it worth it.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:36 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Quote:
Ketabcha...

njkate, you can follow the seasons and cast of characters at IMDB, Upstairs, Downstairs (TV Series 1971

Old 03-07-2013, 04:10 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
There are seven. The first season there were some not shown in the US because they were in black and white due to a strike. Watch both versions of episode one, as they scenes dropped relate to later ones. Later, pbs showed the 'lost' episodes in one of the reruns.

I got my dvd's on a black friday special from Amazon at well over half price and considered it worth it.
These black and white episodes are all on the DVD I got from the library. Before the episode they air a notice about the strike and why it's filmed in black and white. I think it was 3 or 4 out of the 13 or 14 episodes.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
These black and white episodes are all on the DVD I got from the library. Before the episode they air a notice about the strike and why it's filmed in black and white. I think it was 3 or 4 out of the 13 or 14 episodes.
The dvd's include everything, including both versions of episode one.

There is one of the episodes which tells us a great deal about Richard and his point of view, and how it worked with his own son. If you don't see the early one you don't see the progression.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:16 PM

475 posts, read 648,553 times
Again, please make your own upstairs/downstairs thread, as you are getting way off topic with your discussion about a series that most of us DA fans are not even interested in. Would the moderator please move the U/D posts from this thread to one established for that show?

Thank you.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
I like seeing new characters introduced into a story although I will miss the old ones. I think new faces make the episodes interesting. I cannot wait for season four.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV