Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2014, 10:07 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Looks like the new lady's maid and Thomas are going to be as sneaky and underhanded as O'Brien and Thomas were. Also looks like Rose is going to be the equivalent of Sybil in her rebelliousness. Hopefully this season won't be a repeat of previous ones just with different actors playing similar characters.
It certainly looks that way—complete with another “magical piece of paper” that comes out of nowhere and changes everything. Julian Fellowes is a pretty clunky writer. He’s just spinning out another episode, like a soap opera, rather than creating a long, overarching narrative. It’s all about (1) seeing rich people in fancy clothes and (2) endless doomed love stories. It’s the reincarnation of Dynasty or Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 10:44 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,654,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
i saw it last fall and watched it again last night. my initial impression, which didn't change, was that it was somewhat depressing and perhaps boring. i do think matthew's absence was felt.

i also think that the carson's friend storyline felt a little forced and sort of added on. i think two hours was too long for the story they had to tell.

as far as i'm concerned , rose adds nothing . they could have left out her story line.
Yes, boring and depressing sums it up very nicely or not nicely because it is depressing when you actually get excited to know the 2 hours are almost over.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:22 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
Well, I expected it to be depressing because Matthew died and the characters are still in shock over it (especially Mary). We knew that his death would have far-reaching consequences. Actually I would have been shocked if everyone was happy.

When Mary appeared at the end not wearing her mourning clothes I knew she was on the road to recovery.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:22 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,038,049 times
Do you think Dan Stevens (Matthew) regrets leaving the show?

I also felt the loss of Matthew - I hope they find a good replacement. I wish he had stayed on.

I do see a lot of story lines stemming from the episode.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:44 PM

31,906 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Well, I expected it to be depressing because Matthew died and the characters are still in shock over it (especially Mary). We knew that his death would have far-reaching consequences. Actually I would have been shocked if everyone was happy.

When Mary appeared at the end not wearing her mourning clothes I knew she was on the road to recovery.
Lady Mary was still in mourning, just slighted into "half mourning" as her mother had already and Isobel would eventually.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
i saw it last fall and watched it again last night. my initial impression, which didn't change, was that it was somewhat depressing and perhaps boring. i do think matthew's absence was felt.

i also think that the carson's friend storyline felt a little forced and sort of added on. i think two hours was too long for the story they had to tell.

as far as i'm concerned , rose adds nothing . they could have left out her story line.
Am convinced very few persons below stairs at DA mind their own business. What purpose and reason did Mrs. Hughes really have to go behind Carson's back, read his discarded mail and get herself involved with his ex-friend? Yes, it helps bring Isobel out of her grief but still...

Why is everyone from "upstairs" always downstairs at DA? Why is Mrs. Patamore always up in Daisy's business?

Once one saw the nanny tell Barrow not to touch the children without her consent knew it was game time, and that one or the other would soon be gone.

Barrow has turned into a oily, slimy git. Almost worse (if that is possible) than O'Brien. All he does is smoke **** and skulk around the shadows digging up dirt. He's like a frustrated vampire! Please for the love of god give the man something or one to love before he torches the place.

Speaking of vampires that is exactly what Lady Mary reminded one of the few scenes of her in black going down that grand staircase! *LOL* Guess it was all that pale skin, a face totally bereft of emotion, and being draped in black.

Why does suddenly everyone care about Moseley? People want to lend him money, the Dowager tries to find him employment, etc...

Old 01-06-2014, 01:03 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
certainly, penelope wilton- isobel crawley. i don't know if phyllis logan- mrs. hughes- was that well known prior to downtown.
I'd guess Brendan Coyle (Bates) and Jim Carter (Carson), too, but they're more character actors.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:08 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Can someone explain the inheritance laws?

Originally, Mary could not inherit the estate because it had to be passed down to a male heir. But a widow can inherit the estate outright and have her name on the title?

Old 01-06-2014, 01:10 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
I do enjoy the show but I wish it was more historically correct. There is no way a servant would be allowed to smoke like a chimney and then head upstairs to serve food. Every time you see Thomas he is puffing away on a cigarette. No way a servant would be allowed to take off at a moments notice to go to town and involve themselves in everyone's affairs.

I think Upstairs/Downstairs was superior because it accurately represented the relationship between the up and down people, and still managed to follow an interesting plot line.

Mrs. Patmore is Daisy's boss, but she also feels motherly to her and I think that's the reason she is always in Daisys business. Molesly has to be the most uninteresting character...hope he gets a job out of town and we've seen the last of him.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I do enjoy the show but I wish it was more historically correct. There is no way a servant would be allowed to smoke like a chimney and then head upstairs to serve food. Every time you see Thomas he is puffing away on a cigarette. No way a servant would be allowed to take off at a moments notice to go to town and involve themselves in everyone's affairs.

I think Upstairs/Downstairs was superior because it accurately represented the relationship between the up and down people, and still managed to follow an interesting plot line.

Mrs. Patmore is Daisy's boss, but she also feels motherly to her and I think that's the reason she is always in Daisys business. Molesly has to be the most uninteresting character...hope he gets a job out of town and we've seen the last of him.
No, you have not seen the last of Molesly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV