Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 06:11 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,215,272 times

Advertisements

Well my DVR missed more than just a couple of minutes!

The previews were of the coming out so there must be quite a jump in time because I think someone said something about Rose coming out next spring? Wasn't the bazaar in summer?
Speaking of which all the men wear jackets and England doesn't often get that warm and I would think that those big old stone castles could be quite drafty - and yet the younger woman, Mary, Edith, always seem to be in sleeveless, short sleeves, fairly gossamer stuff - I always think they must be cold!

I wonder if they'll just leave us to wonder about Bates, it could have been an accident afterall. I do hope Mary and Anna just let it lie.

I think Mary is being presented as more sympathetic this season. I like her better now, I didn't like her in the first couple of seasons but I think that is the way she is being portrayed. In the earlier seasons she was not nearly as open minded. Matthew had, or we are supposed to think he had, a positive effect on her, as perhaps being a mother and a widow. She's nicer now that she's more mature.

Edith- I agree, it seems like God does not want you happy! That woman has yet to get a break.

Poor Granny, no one seems to care that she is thinking a lot about death.

Last, the Ralph Lauren ads are so irritating 'First I create a woman" yes, Anna Karenina "Then I create a world" uh huh, 19th century Russia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 10:52 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
There are so few "outdoorsy" scenes with the sun shining and the women in beautiful dresses. Last night was one of them. A welcome scene from the dark depressing downstairs kitchen that is so much in the show. My TV doesn't do well with the dark scenes. I enjoyed the bazaar and the picnic alot.
I thought the clothes were much prettier than usual too. I just love those hats!

Old 02-18-2014, 10:56 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
The previews were of the coming out so there must be quite a jump in time because I think someone said something about Rose coming out next spring? Wasn't the bazaar in summer?
In the UK, this week's episode was the season finale, and next week's was the Christmas special. I don't know how much of a jump in time in the show that is, though.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:54 AM

41,955 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I couldn't and wouldn't kill him...but I would do my best if it took me years to ruin his life. Sorry, I would...it could start small like glue in his only shoes...
Or epacac (sp?) in his food until he was ruined.
I like the way you think! LOL

Quote:
Yes, the next episode is the Christmas special, and it jumps ahead a year to summer 1923.

Quote:
A bit of an anvil, isn't it?

Quote:
Last, the Ralph Lauren ads are so irritating 'First I create a woman" yes, Anna Karenina "Then I create a world" uh huh, 19th century Russia
He's not too narcissistic, is he? LOL Thank the TV gods for the mute button and the fast-forward button.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:29 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times
Quote:
Well my DVR missed more than just a couple of minutes!

Speaking of which all the men wear jackets and England doesn't often get that warm and I would think that those big old stone castles could be quite drafty - and yet the younger woman, Mary, Edith, always seem to be in sleeveless, short sleeves, fairly gossamer stuff - I always think they must be cold!

I wonder if they'll just leave us to wonder about Bates, it could have been an accident afterall. I do hope Mary and Anna just let it lie.

I think Mary is being presented as more sympathetic this season. I like her better now, I didn't like her in the first couple of seasons but I think that is the way she is being portrayed. In the earlier seasons she was not nearly as open minded. Matthew had, or we are supposed to think he had, a positive effect on her, as perhaps being a mother and a widow. She's nicer now that she's more mature.

Edith- I agree, it seems like God does not want you happy! That woman has yet to get a break.

I would imagine in that time and on what is a country estate that life pretty much goes on without excitement most of the time. Dull tv though. So they'd pick a time when something was happening to show. And its also a farm and there would be day to day things to deal with, but also dull tv.

You do see them dressed in warmer clothes, but I think fashion was the dividing line. They still changed three times a day, and dressed up for dinner. And this wouldn't be stone but wood and plaster, so while it would be the uber open concept of design and hard to warm, the rooms wouldn't get as chilly. But it makes me glad that we're past the women wear dresses days myself.

I'm not sure weahter Green just had an accident or it was arrainged. Anna was there, but York is a distance the other way so Bates likely wouldn't be. But I'm sure he was seen in York doing his business too. But he did arrainge for the guard to dissapear without directly acting, so.... I think if he was planning to eliminate Mr.Green that's how he'd do it.

Edith, she's trying so hard to be good. And she's a very kind person and trusting with a target on her forehead for the Gregson's of the world. She's really stuck between a hard place and a rock and its going to hurt whatever she does, and she doesn't want to hurt.

Mary has been much more domineering but she seems to be taking time to reevaluate after losing Matthew. And she owns a part of the estate, so for once she had actual clout in what she decides. She's very polite about it but also, very firm. She's the son they never had. I like the character development in her this season, rounding her out. And she's clearly looking ahead and not behind.

Granny is one of the signature characters and my favorite thing about her now is how she has taken to Mrs Crawley. They are really very similiar kinds of people, money and titles aside, and both like getting what they want. But they feel more like friends now. Mrs Crawley doesn't get impressed by the title and I think Granny likes the companionship.

And would Ralph Lauren PLEASE make a new commercial at least. Usually I record it and its just a blip of the fast forward button. But they use the same commercial on other pbs shows they sponser.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:33 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
You do see them dressed in warmer clothes, but I think fashion was the dividing line. They still changed three times a day, and dressed up for dinner. And this wouldn't be stone but wood and plaster, so while it would be the uber open concept of design and hard to warm, the rooms wouldn't get as chilly. But it makes me glad that we're past the women wear dresses days myself.
Many times actual aristocrats would spend the summer in their country homes and spend the winter in their London homes for weather reasons. There may be a shooting party here and there, but the "season" was spent in town. Since it's "Downton Abbey" and not "London Townhouse" most of what we see is spring/summer in the country.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:01 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,849,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I thought the clothes were much prettier than usual too. I just love those hats!
In those days women with very pale skin was a sign as wealth .

Old 02-18-2014, 01:45 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:

Oh, oh. I love those commercials. RL has such class and it's interesting that he grew up in The Bronx going to Jewish school while making ties and selling them to his fellow students. He certainly caught some breaks in his early years because the money people recognized his talent and his views on fashion and commerce.

Those commercials and the music in DA take me back to another time. Well, that's probably because it was another time. LOL

Old 02-18-2014, 04:20 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,568,098 times
Quote:
My DVR and TV occassionally get off their time synch and I lose the last few minutes of the show - that happened with this last episode of Downton - anyone remember enough to tell me what happened the last few minutes? I don't seem to have a PBS on demand on my cable provider

Not to throw cold water on anything but I tried watching an epi of Upstairs/Downstairs and couldn't see why everyone liked it so much. Not sure what I'm missing, maybe it was the episode. It seemed very quiet, very slow, sort of stage looking, like when two characters where in a room/scene it reminded me more of theater?
My DVR did the same thing, and that's never happened before. It must have run long with the different commercial by the designer at the beginning of the show.

I tried to watch Upstairs/Downstairs too, and could not get into it.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:22 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,568,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
All the men, like dogs in heat, swarming around Mary is a bit much. I just love Mrs. Patmore. I was also surprised to hear the finale is next. I thought... didn't this season just start?!
I so agree!! She's boring, snobby, and kind of plain if you ask me. Edith is much more interesting, but she's not an heiress. I get the impression that Mary is supposed to be more interesting to men, and not just because of her money, but I don't get it. I guess that's because I'm a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV