Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 04:27 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,182,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Still seems out of place for a servant to decide that is the way it should be. Just sayin'.
I agree with you. That servant should be fired IMO for dissing the doc twice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 05:00 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Still seems out of place for a servant to decide that is the way it should be. Just sayin'.
It still happens and is the pecking order of the world...

Still remember being on Holiday and friends from California were also in Europe so we decided to meet.

They were in a old 5 star hotel in the historic section of town.

No sooner than I had walked into the lobby with my niece in a stroller were we almost ushered out...

It was only when I asked the doorman to hold the door did he even pause.

Then he told me only registered guests could be admitted and I would have to leave.

Told it would be a shame if my friends staying in the Windsor suite missed me...

It was like a switch was thrown... he went to verify and then could not do enough for us... go figure

The class system is very alive and well in Europe...

Old 01-06-2015, 05:22 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,799,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Certainly not lower than a servant. It's just that the servant recognizes that the doctor is not "up there" socially with the landed gentry.
I guess he would have been part of the middle class.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I guess he would have been part of the middle class.
Most that work with their hands are labor... those with real wealth owned land... and this is what made the new world appealing in that "Anyone" could own the roof over their head.

The new world also was not as much about your family lineage as it was about accomplishments... the rags to riches stories were celebrated in America...

Downton showcases the transition from the old to the new... much of which had basically remained unchained for centuries.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:14 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,261,101 times
Sratt showed up last season in the episode when Violet held a luncheon to show off Molesley to Lady Shackleton. Violet hoped Lady Shackleton would hire Molesley as her butler, but Spratt thought Molesley was there to replace him and sabotaged the luncheon. Poor Molesley wound up having to be demoted to a footman.

Isobel is the widow of a doctor, but Spratt served her. She would seem to be have the same status as Dr. Clarkson. Maybe her relationship to the Crawleys makes a difference.

Interesting how Violet was encouraging Isobel to take an interest in Lord Merton until she realized Isobel would outrank her if she married him. Then she changed her plans and brought in Lady Shackleton to redirect his interest away from Isobel.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:21 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,157,864 times
Default Isis the Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Oh, I hope not! That is such a horrible reason to off ISIS!
I agree - that would be a horrible reason to kill off Isis. They could just start calling her Izzy. She is an integral part of the show but I noticed since her last big storyline - getting locked in the shed by Thomas - she hasn't been onscreen that much and when she is, it's only decorative. She has so much to offer.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:23 PM

Isobel status as the mother of the Mathew, co lord of the manor if you will... would effect any situation where her son had the power of the purse as it would to some degree with Violet...

Old 01-06-2015, 07:29 PM

Default Coco Chanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I enjoyed the first episode very much. I liiked the program about the manners too, but already knew most of the information. You can thank Coco Channel for getting rid of the corset. Many women suffered permanent internal injuries from them, as well as permanent spinal injuries. They also caused many miscarriages when women would not heed warnings about wearing them soon after childbirth for the sake of fashion. For some reason, this has become a popular subject for high school students when they have to do history projects. I've seen a number of excellent student exhibits and reports.
It is not an exaggeration that Coco Chanel revolutionized women's fashion - taking it from corseted long bustles to fabric flowing dresses, sometimes shortened to the knee. No wonder women needed help in past times with getting dressed with all those bones and strings! After Chanel, all women had to do was throw a dress on and head out the door. Women became freer, at least physically. Those corsets actually permanently damaged women's bodies - their ribcages were actually hideously distorted and all the organs compressed. Recently, I read an article about a modern day woman who wears corsets to keep her waist small - I think her waist is 14 inches. She thought it was beautiful, but I'm sorry to say she looked hideous.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:35 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,310,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post

Isobel is the widow of a doctor, but Spratt served her. She would seem to be have the same status as Dr. Clarkson. Maybe her relationship to the Crawleys makes a difference.
Remember that Isobel is the mother of Matthew. Matthew inherited a large portion of Downton if not all of it. I think it was 1/2 and then after his death it went to George and is overseen by Mary. I think that is the "standing" that affords Isobel her higher position in society.

....and it is good that it does because I really like that character and I don't want anyone to diss her.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:41 PM

Default Isobel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Remember that Isobel is the mother of Matthew. Matthew inherited a large portion of Downton if not all of it. I think it was 1/2 and then after his death it went to George and is overseen by Mary. I think that is the "standing" that affords Isobel her higher position in society.

....and it is good that it does because I really like that character and I don't want anyone to diss her.
I agree! Isobel is one of the more evolved characters on the show - she's a modern woman and is far ahead of her time. If she was born much later, she would of been a career woman, probably a CEO of a company. She always finds ways of getting things done and she is involved in so many committees and organizations. She doesn't waste her time gossiping and dishing dirt and she doesn't give a fig about class structure even though she isn't getting the respect she rightfully deserves because her grandson is the heir to Downton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV