Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 05:22 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I'll probably google this but....where did the Downton Abbey story come from? Not a book right? Just someone's idea for a screenplay? Is it based (even loosely) on a real family or a conglomeration of families? Is there real version of Richard?

It is written by Julian Fellows who is also a British actor. You can google his name and also see what else he has done and acted it. I've seen him interviewed and he is interesting and seems to love the period he wrote about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 07:45 PM

698 posts, read 1,051,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Wow, wow, I mean, like wow. Where the hell did that come from? Way off base. Maybe seventy and abit "snippy" and overly sensitive to boot.

Do you read the papers? Watch TV news? Know any history? THOSE are my reference points.

Now... back to topic.

the discussion of this series, so rich in history and quality acting, seems rather superficial, in my opinion. perhaps that's just my age speaking, although i doubt it. since i'm enjoying the drama very much, i had hoped for more in-depth conversations about characters and their interactions, against the backdrop of a changing england . apparently, the kind of discussion you're having is what you want. so, i'm happy to leave you to it.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:27 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
It is written by Julian Fellows who is also a British actor. You can google his name and also see what else he has done and acted it. I've seen him interviewed and he is interesting and seems to love the period he wrote about.
Just like Jean Marsh, an actress, wrote "Upstairs, Downstairs" with another colaborator whose name escapes me at the moment.

Both Marsh and Fellows wrote their series from an entertainment point of view as well as historical. They were interested in that time period of history in England. I think that their stories emphasize a dramatization of those times rather than a documentary of them.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:51 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
They were interested in that time period of history in England. I think that their stories emphasize a dramatization of those times rather than a documentary of them.
Among other things, there's been a lot of criticism about how the relationship between the family and the staff has been portrayed. I remember seeing in Manor House ( Manor House | PBS ) that if any of the staff were out in common areas when a member of of the family came by they were to stop what they were doing and stand with their back to the wall, as if they were furniture. There certainly wasn't laughing and joking between upstairs and down.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:59 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Among other things, there's been a lot of criticism about how the relationship between the family and the staff has been portrayed. I remember seeing in Manor House ( Manor House | PBS ) that if any of the staff were out in common areas when a member of of the family came by they were to stop what they were doing and stand with their back to the wall, as if they were furniture. There certainly wasn't laughing and joking between upstairs and down.

Yes, I think Mr. Fellows has taken a few liberties with his story.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:03 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,978,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quenelle View Post
So many of you in America seem to like this and other shows such as 'Upstairs Downstairs' Why don't you research books by Catherine Cookson, you can also buy CD's of dramas of her stories that were filmed on TV such as the 'Mallen' series. I'm sure that you would love them. I never tire of reading her books and wait a few years and go back and read them again. Catherine was such a great author. Unfortunately she died a few years ago but was honoured by being dubbed a 'Dame'
Put her name into Google and you will find out so much about this brilliant women. Catherine was born at the turn of the last century illigitimately to a feckless mother and in quite hard poverty. Her books are riviting!
Loved the DVD's "the catherine cookson collection"

Old 02-09-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I watched Downton Abbey last week on Netflix and fell in love with it. Now I have a ton of British series set to watch but I haven't found anything yet to match up with the brilliance of Downton Abbey although I really enjoyed Wuthering Heights with Tom Hardy. Right now I just started Daniel Daronda which I know I will love because I'm a big fan of Hugh Dancy. Does anyone know if Matthew Goode did any BBC series? I loved him in Brideshead Revisted.
I don't know if you rec'd a reply I'm going thru the posts, here is a start on CD

BBC series or movies suggestions

Old 02-09-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Just read that Shirley MacClaine has joined the cast of Downton Abbey.
Sounds good, she should be great if she's playing the "Guarding Tess" type part.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Last night's episode was so, so corny. Long-lost cousin with amnesia? Check. Miraculous recovery from paralysis? Check. Convenient death of villainous ex-wife? Check.

I hate what the writers have done with Isobel. She used to be bossy, yes, but she had spirit and integrity. Now she's a busybody who's so up her own butt that she can be easily distracted by shiny things, like a kitten.

I didn't like that part either, it took away from the show.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Some cats are all about hunting, some cats prey drive is a lower, even a lot lower. Maybe you've left your lovey lazy kitty it in a room with a bird or mouse before and it didn't kill it. Maybe many times. But you shouldn't be surprised if one day it does Its a cat. Same with men. All men.

Someone mentioned the Edwardian age ending with WWI. So I suppose by season 3, 4 or whatever we will see Downton Abbey struggling with money? I guess the neighbors already have and thats why the place is for sale?

Got a bad feeling about that Richard guy and Mary. He seems like he's got a controlling cruel streak.

So do I, she needs to have something over him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV