Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 01:07 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Oh, I understand about the "soap opera writer's code." But if they can't let the viewers enjoy some ongoing happiness with the Bates, then for heaven's sake come up with a new problem. The Mr Green investigation has worn quite thin, and Anna's arrest is completely stupid. As others have said, we already KNOW Anna did not do it, unless the writers expect us to completely disregard scenes from the past.
This is following the time-honored plot style where we the viewers know the truth, but you can see that Bates is getting worried, in case she did somehow do it. She's lied to him before, remember, and in her eyes it was "for his own good".

I agree, it's a little tiresome that it continues, but where else could they go with plot lines for downstairs, now that Barrow is showing a kinder, gentler version of himself? And, I'm not convinced the change is real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 01:20 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
I don't get that this match with the Prince and Violet is such a good one. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it but in my gut I get the feeling, as he sat in her drawing room, he saw opportunity for money, gracious living and playing on her past feeling, and present of course. He looks like a street person, essentially is, but the greasy long stringy hair and disheveled look just makes him look even more desperate.

I could be totally wrong and maybe by the end of the show they will ride off into the sunset happy ever after!!

Old 02-23-2015, 01:23 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
Anyone get the "more confident air" of Edith? She's not the whiney, angry woman she's been playing, obviously due to having Marigold with her in the house. So, with Mary including her in the lunch maybe by the end of the show they will be "friends".

Old 02-23-2015, 01:57 PM

888 posts, read 454,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I have to say, Yay for Barrow last night. Several good turns for him in the episode. Maybe he took the Doctor's advice to heart? Is he changing for good?
It was classic Barrow: causing harm to one person (Violet's maid) while making someone else feel indebted to him (the temporary footman).

Old 02-23-2015, 02:10 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
That cat comment came from Shrimpie.
Of course, you're right.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:21 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Watching the opening credits with the actors' names flashing by, I see a very familiar name from my favorite book. Who the heck is Tom Cullen playing? Ahso, it's Tony!
Tom Cullen: "M-O-O-N, that spells Lord Gillingham."
(Hope someone else understands, LOL)
I do! The Stand by Stephen King is one of my favorites too.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Watching the opening credits with the actors' names flashing by, I see a very familiar name from my favorite book. Who the heck is Tom Cullen playing? Ahso, it's Tony!
Tom Cullen: "M-O-O-N, that spells Lord Gillingham."
(Hope someone else understands, LOL)

Mrs. Patmore in the kitchen crying made me cry. She thought she was losing her 'daughter'.

I have to say, Yay for Barrow last night. Several good turns for him in the episode. Maybe he took the Doctor's advice to heart? Is he changing for good?

It was great seeing Violet stunned by the Prince. Not too often is she speechless

Oh so tired of the Bates/Green story line. Let them be happy, damn it. Would have liked to see his mother's London house.

Baxter saying you’re never safe til the ring is on your finger and Molesley asking if she wants to be safe.

The little scene with Robert and Cora about selling the picture was great. Reminding himself that he didn’t trust her and making him angry with himself.

I think Dicky's sons are in for a surprise, with Violet behind Isobel now. "It’s time for action." Cannons loaded and ready to fire, LOL

Edith still irritates me.

So many good lines and scenes!
Oh, I don't think Barrow's motives are very pure. He may have certain things in mind when calling in favors. Who knows, maybe the kid is also into it? Barrow doesn't seem to have very good Gaydar though, or maybe it was just too difficult in those days to tell.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Anyone get the "more confident air" of Edith? She's not the whiney, angry woman she's been playing, obviously due to having Marigold with her in the house. So, with Mary including her in the lunch maybe by the end of the show they will be "friends".
I thought she had already decided to run the publishing company until Tom told her she should do it and it seemed like a shock to Edith. Oh well, at least they're getting there with Edith finally. I so want her to become a different woman. She's the quintessential middle child: Mary is the confident one, responsible for handling the estate; Sybil was the crazy, rebellious younger child; and Edith just reminds me of Jan Brady, always being insecure and jealous of her older sister. Mary, Mary, Mary!

Old 02-23-2015, 03:33 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I thought she had already decided to run the publishing company until Tom told her she should do it and it seemed like a shock to Edith.
I read a review of Downton that said it's like the Hotel California--you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. Edith was in London at the paper with her kid, and she gets dragged back to Downton. Daisy wants to continue her education in London, but a few tears from Patmore keeps her at Downton. Bates and Anna are always in trouble with the cops, but no one thinks to kick them out of Downton. Who knows, maybe Tom will be able to get out.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:40 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
If there is a killer revealed, I suppose it'll be one of Greene's previous rape victims or a hubby. Though at this point, just let them please conclude the storyline this season.

Will Isobel marry Merton ? I say no.

Is it too soon for a new puppy ? Probably, but what a nice addition one would be at Christmas.

Does anyone know who the guy was that Mary was talking to in next week's preview ?
Since we've just had one wedding, holding off on the Isobel/Merton thing would be a good start for a new season.

The guy at Mary's wedding (in person) is Matthew Goode, also of 'The Imitation Game' and 'A Single Man'. It occurred to me that his introduction at this late date was to familiarize him for the Christmas episode. Maybe a new beau for Mary in Season 6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Does anyone know how many more episodes there will be? They usually provide a glimpse into the upcoming episode as the credits are rolling, but they didn't do it last night.
Just the Christmas episode next week, March 01.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I was happy to see Robert and Cora completely made up. I love their relationship and hated seeing conflict between them. Especially that smile they shared when she said her father was Jewish. Priceless.

I hope Daisy sells her FIL's farm when he passes and starts a restaurant or catering business in London. She and (Alfred? tall kid?) could run it together.

These were the most gorgeous costumes of the entire series IMO.
I've commented elsewhere that I would like to see Daisy become a bookkeeper and take over the books at Downton Abbey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV