Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 06:35 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I am thinking that the series might end w/Hugh Beaumont dying--not the Dowanger--which would be so much like real life--
she has already outlived most of her family and friends--it would be totally realistic if she outlived her son as well...

I didn't watch any of this year (well maybe 30 min one show)--just found it too tedious--although I like many of the characters...mainly among the servants--
But Bates and Anna's story line is just too depressing--believe me--in the real Downton Abbey those people would have been sent off with references--it is just asking too much to believe that anyone as self centered as Mary is going to be nice to Anna--Mary is long past being worried about finding that Turk in her bed...
Hugh Beaumont was the father on Leave it to Beaver. Hugh Bonneville is the patriarch on Downton.

I find the character of Mary very realistic. People are always shades if gray, I know some extremely self centered people who have done amazing things for other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 07:45 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,873 times
From NCDave, #3145 above,

Quote:
The police's lame case against Anna is still lame and unresolved. She's still their prime suspect but the evidence is weak. At least Bates has an alibi.
I could be making this up but IIRC I think in the Brit version there was someone who said that another person had stepped forward and identified the perp - as someone else. Probably about the same time that Molesley and O'Brien reported their news. I might have been another fifteen seconds of dialogue. Therein cause to contact Bates for his return.

Quote:
We learned that Mrs. Hughes is a pauper, but Carson will take care of her now. (I wonder if they'll also take care of her sister.)
I think she's now out of Mrs. Hughes picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I think Marigold is the unhappiest little girl I have ever seen. She has never spoken a word, nor does she ever smile. And why doesn't Edith put her down and let her walk. The kid is way too big to be carried around all the time. Just sayin....
If these kids actually talked, they'd have to be paid union wages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The spats between Spratt and Denker were really unrealistic. How many Dowager Countesses would put up with that from servants? But I think that will end now since Violet put Spratt in his place. I don't know why she wants to keep Denker on except maybe as entertainment. The woman is a hot mess.

I was wondering the same about broth. It's not consommé, which seems a bit more complicated. Anyone can make a broth.
Recall from other episodes, times are changing. It can be difficult to get good help.

Last edited by metroxian; 03-03-2015 at 07:58 AM..

Old 03-03-2015, 08:42 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
I thought it was hilarious when The Earl of Grantham said he had "tummy problems". Loved him completely at that moment.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:55 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

yes, she is. I posted the article several pages back. But then she has to die at some point.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:00 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You can't really expect much naturalistic acting from a toddler. She has to stay quiet and not ruin takes, she has to remember that she's playing pretend and that she can't look at the camera or at Mommy standing over there. She's doing a good enough job.
Seriously, don't you see some developmental concerns with this little girl? No eye contact with the person holding her. A frightened look most of the time. Either not able to walk or talk or babble? I worked in developmental early childhood most of my career, and either this kid needs to be out of DA sets, and/or should be taken to a developmental pediatrician. She looks to be either 2.5 or almost 3. By then she should look more like the other 2 children on the show. She does not. JMHO. Take it or leave it.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:47 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,306 times
I'm already going thru Downtown Abbey withdrawals!

Old 03-03-2015, 11:09 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Now that they brought up the new technology of phonographs and radio, I hope they bring up the cinema. That was also a huge cultural and life-style change.
Mary and Charles Blake went to the cinema (he pronounced it, “kinema”) and staged the kiss in the lobby to convince Tony she wasn't interested.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:19 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
Hugh Beaumont was the father on Leave it to Beaver.

And he died in 1982, so to use his death as a plot device on Downton Abbey would be stretching credibility.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:22 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
FWIW, Lily James will be playing the lead in Disney's upcoming release Cinderella, with Sophie McShera playing "Drizella".

Old 03-03-2015, 11:36 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
Hugh Beaumont was the father on Leave it to Beaver. Hugh Bonneville is the patriarch on Downton.

I find the character of Mary very realistic. People are always shades if gray, I know some extremely self centered people who have done amazing things for other people.
Mary is the result of being the eldest child with an inheritance to mind, and someone who grew up in a world which by the time the story has reached has already began to change. If she'd had a brother she might have been raised a little differently, but she had to qualify as a good catch in marriage so the estate would go on. She seems self centered and unfriendly but that was the way gentry were supposed to be.

Then you have Sybil, who was the last daughter, likely to inherit nothing but an allowance, and its no accident she is the one who broke all the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV