Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2016, 05:16 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,523 times

Advertisements

I doubt that Violet was the only one to know who dug the ditch. She might be the only one willing to bring it up now in order to embarrass her husband's god son if he refused her request. Why chance it? I think he came more out of respect than fear anyway. His talk with Tom was more a joke between them about Violet.

I like that they bring in bits of historical fact.

I think what's bothering Mary is the consensus of her family and her maid (who she thinks of as a friend...... when it suits her) that she can't be trusted. I believe she said once that Mathew made her a better person. I don't think she will fall in love until she feels that way again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 05:54 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Well if you are going to go all Nader on me… no there is nothing "wrong" with consumers demanding anything, as far as I'm concerned, but it doesn't take a lot of fun out of being just an audience.

For some, the analysis is the fun part.

Quote:
And by the same token isn't the point of the forum for someone like myself to express an opinion regarding the reactions and thoughts of others, or must we all conform to some group think?
Well, I disagreed with the opinion you expressed, I didn't argue that it has no place here.

Quote:
Oh, quite the contrary, although I must admit that the way that I view a program may not be as precise as other since I tend to lose myself in other aspects of a production, sets, costumes, lighting, cinematography when the script is moving into predictable or largely transitional themes, as a result I tend not to quibble over a line here or a plot device there particularly over a series that has run for 6 years. So given that we've all been watching the same program for 6 years would indicate that my standard is no lower than anyone else's. We all value the program for its high standards or none of us would have devoted so much time to it, I would think
You begin with "quite the contrary" but what follows is not contrary to what I wrote, which was that a policy of forgiving the writers for lazy writing leads to lowering of standards. That we all have been watching the show proves nothing regarding the standards of that show. "Happy Days" was a big hit with lots of people watching, but that doesn't mean it had high standards of writing and performance, does it?

Old 02-05-2016, 05:56 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I doubt that Violet was the only one to know who dug the ditch. She might be the only one willing to bring it up now in order to embarrass her husband's god son if he refused her request. Why chance it? I think he came more out of respect than fear anyway. His talk with Tom was more a joke between them about Violet.
Not her husband's godson--Chamberlain is common, not a titled...the Earl wouldn't be god father to just any boy...
Violet is god mother to his wife--she married down...
Matthew was raised as gentry--not titled--because they were so far down the bloodline
Chamberlain might be knighted later--but not born w/title...

I like that they bring in bits of historical fact.

I think what's bothering Mary is the consensus of her family and her maid (who she thinks of as a friend...... when it suits her) that she can't be trusted. I believe she said once that Mathew made her a better person. I don't think she will fall in love until she feels that way again.
I think that is good insight...
Mary was upset that Tom and the family took Mr Mason on while she was in London
She might have been ok with it if they had begged a little
I think they do assume the worst of her--and she has far longer history of being bad/selfish/catty than being supportive/friendly/nice
I just wish she would be more involved with George
He is the means to an end for her, it seems to me...
The reason why she has this power she really loves now to be the boss
She hated being cut out of the entail when it went to Matthew
She has always felt the real heir of Downton and now she is that in all but name--especially with Robert's current condition...

Old 02-05-2016, 06:39 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,320,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
For some, the analysis is the fun part.
Well it isn't like I'm a post deleting mod!

Quote:
Well, I disagreed with the opinion you expressed, I didn't argue that it has no place here.
Well that's true on both counts

Quote:
You begin with "quite the contrary" but what follows is not contrary to what I wrote, which was that a policy of forgiving the writers for lazy writing leads to lowering of standards.
Well everybody can't be David Miltch or David Simon.

Quote:
That we all have been watching the show proves nothing regarding the standards of that show. "Happy Days" was a big hit with lots of people watching,
Goodness I give everyone on this thread far more credit than "Happy Days'," audience, it is PBS after all.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:47 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I think that is good insight...
Mary was upset that Tom and the family took Mr Mason on while she was in London
She might have been ok with it if they had begged a little
I think they do assume the worst of her--and she has far longer history of being bad/selfish/catty than being supportive/friendly/nice
I just wish she would be more involved with George
He is the means to an end for her, it seems to me...
The reason why she has this power she really loves now to be the boss
She hated being cut out of the entail when it went to Matthew
She has always felt the real heir of Downton and now she is that in all but name--especially with Robert's current condition...
Mary is stuck in tradition in some ways, but she'd willing to break them too. I think she believed she as the oldest child deserved to inherit. There's mom's ambitious family in her too. As the oldest in an estate like theirs, she'd more likely to be selfish and mostly about herself. Its sad with George, since that is one way she's into tradition. Children were seen and not heard, and only seen when appropriate. Marigold will have a very different kind of memories of her mother, if she moves away or stays.

But yes, Mary likes the power. She's finally gotten to her true station in terms of the estate, and might not be so anxious to marry since it might dilute it too.

When Robert's feeling better, I wonder if he'll be surprised that the revolution is already over and done.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:17 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,384 times
It looks like the only person at Downton paying attention to little Georgie is poor Barrow, who actually seems to have a good relationship with the kid. Can't believe I'm feeling sorry for ol' Thomas. Though I have the feeling Hughes is going to drop dead or be forced to retire for his health and Barrow will become the over-Butler and backbone of Downton in the last episode.

Shouldn't George have a governess and tutor by now? He can certainly learn from his mother, Branson, and Robert in terms of what he should know to one day keep Downton Abbey, but no one seems to be starting his education in that regard (or any regard) even in a gentle, child-friendly way.

Loved Violet in this episode. Cora absolutely should have told her about the hospital regime change rather than let Violet hear it from someone else. Actually, if I'd been Cora, I'd have passed up the post out of family loyalty. Felt a bit sorry for Robert; he's been quite ill and Cora acts as if she's sick of him and Downton and can't wait to start a new job elsewhere. (which might be true, but there are other jobs/occupations she could take up, after Robert is recovered, he's feeling useless and left behind and does need some emotional TLC just now) The scenes with Violet intensely confronting Cora (as she inadequately tries to be a tour guide to the Abbey) and shooing her way through the crowds of visitors were quite good.

And is Daisy now the rude little communist of the week? Suggesting that estates like Downton (which has employed her, allowed her to rise in position and earnings and better herself, for years) should be available to the public all the time (how would she like it if she had a home and the public marched in and out of it constantly), and, even worse, being so rude as to resent and try to throw out her father-in-law's courteous thank-you letter to Mrs. Patmore. Time for Daisy to leave Downton and seek her fortune in London; which might be better for her even if she finds that employers there are less kind then the Lord and Lady of Downton.

Nice conversation between Robert and the little boy tourist. I wonder if it presages Robert eventually buying a smaller home?

Old 02-07-2016, 10:31 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,261,488 times
I wonder if Molesley will get a job running historic tours of Downton Abbey. The Crawleys certainly weren't very good at it. Funny how the people upstairs and downstairs both thought Downton was quite ordinary.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:31 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
I was just waiting for the moment when Violet got the *letter* that she was being squeezed out and realizes her family hadn't bothered to tell her. Isn't that something which someone should have explained? But beneath the high court miffed look she felt hurt.

I thought Tom and Mary sounded so much like brother and sister, you'd never know they were by marriage.

Good luck to both Daisy and her tutor on their exams.

I'm with Mary. Someone who raced cars would scare me every time, and Mary has a good reason to feel that way.

I love the references to the real house, like the tours helping pay for the upkeep.

Would Carson *please* lay off on the food? When they have leftover food from dinner, why complain? And now the bed isn't 'proper'? But I do remember when my ex would take off for hamburgers since I said we needed to finish the leftovers so maybe its just men.

Anyone note Cora's line 'Belgium waiting for the invasion'?

Old 02-07-2016, 11:59 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,157,864 times
Since he got married, we have seen less of Carson's humanity and kindness and more of meaness and snobbery. He's really been a pain in the ***. Always complaining about food, how Mrs. Hughes is running the household - pick pick pick and tonight with the way he treated Barrows, it was not only cruel, it was devastating. Barrows has worked in the house for years and after all this time Carson does not know him and thinks only the worst. Carson shows he is not a good judge of character and he is so blindly enamored of the Granthams, that he puts them on a pedestal like they are more human and deserving of his respect than the servants he manages. Just the way he even spoke to Daisy "look respectable". Of course, Daisy only has a limited wardrobe, not like Mary whom he thinks of as a daughter. Straying a little from the topic here, Mary did have quite a beautiful dress on tonight, except the hairband didn't look so great although that was the style back then. I have to say that marriage hasn't really done anything for Carson, maybe the opposite than what was imagined or hoped for. He doesn't even seem happy, just an old grump.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:35 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,421 times
If I were Cora, I would tell Violet about the decision myself and ask her who she would like her successor to be. That way, she is invested in the new President and will be less likely to undermine him/her. Personally, I think it should be Isobel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV