Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 06:41 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,690 times

Advertisements

I also think it's less likely that Carson will retire than Moseley will get a job at that school and Barrow can become a footman again with the understanding that he will replace Carson when the time comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 08:26 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Thomas created a lot of the distrust that the other servants, and Carson, feel for him. But Carson's disdain isn't just based on Thomas's history, it's also based on Thomas's sexuality. Carson is reflecting that era's attitude toward homosexuals. In fact, I would suspect that a real Carson of that time period would feel that they'd been incredibly generous with Thomas, keeping Thomas on as staff for as long as they did, and offering him a glowing recommendation, despite the fact that Thomas has been somewhat nasty and conniving. The problem for Thomas is that he only does nice things when he can keep those nice things a secret.

As for Carson's marriage, he's a bit of an old codger, set in his ways, and his expectations for a wife are the unrealistic expectations of a lifelong bachelor who's been in a position of authority over women all his life, demanding perfection. Mrs Hughes has never been a wife, she was worried about some of her husband's other expectations before the wedding, but it didn't occur to her that his more domestic expectations might be the expectations of a man who's had servants making his bed, cooking his meals, and cleaning up after him his entire life. He sees Mrs Hughes as wife and servant, and it's up to her to redefine the boundaries for him.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:30 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
And is Daisy now the rude little communist of the week? Suggesting that estates like Downton (which has employed her, allowed her to rise in position and earnings and better herself, for years) should be available to the public all the time (how would she like it if she had a home and the public marched in and out of it constantly), and, even worse, being so rude as to resent and try to throw out her father-in-law's courteous thank-you letter to Mrs. Patmore. Time for Daisy to leave Downton and seek her fortune in London; which might be better for her even if she finds that employers there are less kind then the Lord and Lady of Downton.
I think that a real-life Daisy at that time would have gone off to Mr. Mason's farm as soon as the opportunity presented itself rather than stay as an assistant cook in the basement for what, 6-8 years more?

A lot of the unrealistic plots seem to stem from the fact that the actors themselves don't want to leave the show or be written off the DA gravy train. There's no reason why Barrow wouldn't be off to greener pastures, or Edith wouldn't live in her swanky London apartment with Marigold, except that they wouldn't be on the show anymore.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:31 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
Could someone explain how Thomas became a decent human being? Throughout he was so mean, nasty and conniving. Just recently he went out of his way to try to embarrass Gwen. Prior to that he was trying to blackmail Cora's ladies maid. So how is it that he expects people to think well of him? So far I can't quite follow his character development.

In fact saddling some other household with Thomas by giving him a glowing recommendation seems like it would destroy Carson's credibility in the service world so I can't see that he would do it.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Could someone explain how Thomas became a decent human being? Throughout he was so mean, nasty and conniving. Just recently he went out of his way to try to embarrass Gwen. Prior to that he was trying to blackmail Cora's ladies maid. So how is it that he expects people to think well of him? So far I can't quite follow his character development.

In fact saddling some other household with Thomas by giving him a glowing recommendation seems like it would destroy Carson's credibility in the service world so I can't see that he would do it.
Thomas always had a streak of decency running through him. He was fond of Sybil. He was even fond of Isis. He did try to help Andy. And the footman before that, the one he had a crush on, he took quite a beating for. It's not that Thomas didn't have the capacity for being decent, but that Thomas was very ambitious, and Thomas, for all of his bluster and feelings of superiority, shows lots of signs of low self-esteem. That's why he keeps his good deeds secret. He'd rather be perceived as a cocky, somewhat nasty villain, than to have people feel sorry for a deeply flawed and lonely man. He protects himself by being mean to others and so keeping them at a distance. He doesn't want anyone to get too close, because if they did they might just see the real him, and that scares him.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:54 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
I wouldn't be surprised if Barrow offed himself... right there in the kitchen.

Time for violet to go croak or join the new world.

Daisy needs to be fed to the old man's hogs.

Go Isobel, Edith, Mrs. Patmore, Molesley and Tom.

Mary has the perpetual rod up her keester. Never to be removed.

Mr. Carson needs a cast iron skillet across the back of the head.

Last edited by brava4; 02-08-2016 at 09:09 AM..

Old 02-08-2016, 10:32 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Mary has the perpetual rod up her keester. Never to be removed.
Well when you think of it, there are three men who would argue to the contrary.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I find nothing surprising about Thomas's utter lack of awareness as to why other find him despicable. Thomas is so self-absorbed and holds such a high opinion of himself that why anyone would find him distasteful is beyond his comprehension, but it looks like it is seeping into his consciousness.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:37 AM

Mama, busting through the tour was priceless not to mention her brief historical commentary. Speaking of which, how embarrassing for Her Snobishness aka Lady Mary to not know a single thing about the house that she proclaims to love so much.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I find nothing surprising about Thomas's utter lack of awareness as to why other find him despicable. Thomas is so self-absorbed and holds such a high opinion of himself that why anyone would find him distasteful is beyond his comprehension, but it looks like it is seeping into his consciousness.
I disagree completely. Thomas probably was aware of people finding him distasteful as soon as he realized he was a homosexual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV