Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 12:27 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,539,214 times

Advertisements

Although I could not resist "cheating" and watching the series early including the "Christmas" finality which was available just after Christmas (actually it was more of a New Years finality), the downside is that I am unable to contribute to this forum due to knowing too much. However a lot of the posts made me smile either because poster's speculations were either close to what occurs or not.

I too will miss the series and this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 12:42 PM

888 posts, read 453,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
There is only one more episode and the Christmas special to go
I hadn't realized they're not showing an episode on February 28th until I check the schedule today.

The 28th will be about manners, although the last episode on March 6th will be 120 minutes. Of course the 120 minutes will be measured in TV minutes. This should fetch us about 100 minutes of actual viewing, since the 60 minutes we've been getting is about 50 minutes.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:52 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,050,598 times
I felt sure that Tom was going to take Mary in his arms and ultimately kiss her when she got so upset. Still, it wasn't meant to be. Darn it.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
They might have Thomas be butler for Edith and her new husband in London because Edith will move there full time if they marry...
I would think there were so many newly rich "made men" in London with the ramp up to the Depression and WWII that Thomas could have found a job in London fairly easily since he does have excellent skills and a tie to a titled house...but he seems intent on staying in the country...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
As much as Thomas has been a mustache-twirling villain for the entire series, it would be a bummer for him to go out on a low note (as the writing is heavily implying.)
Thomas said Downton is the only place he has ever put down any roots. They're the closest to a family he has, which is a very powerful force in his life. Regardless of how much or how little the upstairs and downstairs individuals accept his homosexuality and bad-guy persona, he has been accepted and in turn thinks of them as a family. People who don't have a lot going of for them will cling to a dysfunctional family because that's all they have, especially if that's all they've known. Thomas has come a long way with his behavior.

I'm rooting for things to work out for Thomas. I agree that a potential suicide is an option the writers are creating, but also agree they're being too obvious for it to happen, at least I hope so. I can still see Thomas being a combination butler, under butler and footman.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Just wanted to say that since several people have asked why Violet isn't mad at Isobel, but is mad at Cora and Robert, especially Cora, it's because of what she's mad about. She's not mad about losing the battle over the hospital, she's had battles like that before, and she knows that she's going to lose sometimes. She's mad because she thought that Robert's emergency had tipped the balance in her favor, and she gloated about it to Cora and Robert, all the time with them knowing that she had lost the battle. To her, that was the humiliation. In her mind, Isobel fought the fair, above-board fight, but Cora and Robert sat there while she gloated, and let her do so. And when she found out the truth, and that they had known the truth all along, she felt betrayed and humiliated.
I agree that Violet's mad about how the fight was fought. She's always ready for a fight and is in her element when conflict is raging.

Because Robert, and by extension Cora, are immediate family members, there is no way Isobel could ever hurt and humiliate Violet the way Robert and Cora can. It was a form of betrayal, which will be forgiven after getting back at them. Leaving without telling them and without saying goodbye is her way of displaying her anger. At the same time, giving Robert the puppy shows her love and reassures him he is forgiven.

Violet's not mad at Isobel, it's just another chapter of their ongoing relationship. They love to spar and it is an integral part of their friendship. Isobel fights a fair fight and Violet knows it. Violet has become very fond of Isobel and in many respects Isobel is the only friend Violet has. They both have sufficient social standing, are committed to their convictions, thrive on fighting for what they believe, know the rules of social engagement--when agreeing and disagreeing, and are stuck with each other.

Their adversarial relationship turning into a friendship with disagreement and conflict treated as sport is something the show has done well.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Despite the weaknesses of the final season, I'm certainly going to miss the program and wish it would have run longer. I also am going to miss this forum thread, it has been consistently interesting with lots of thoughtful folks delivering their takes and input on the various plot developments and character portrayals.
I agree. There are lots of great posters in this thread and it has increased my enjoyment of the show. They're quite a few of you I can't rep right now.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:36 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,102,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post

Violet's not mad at Isobel, it's just another chapter of their ongoing relationship. They love to spar and it is an integral part of their friendship. Isobel fights a fair fight and Violet knows it. Violet has become very fond of Isobel and in many respects Isobel is the only friend Violet has. They both have sufficient social standing, are committed to their convictions, thrive on fighting for what they believe, know the rules of social engagement--when agreeing and disagreeing, and are stuck with each other.
This was the reaction I had when the episode opened with the two showing no signs of strain from their recently concluded conflict. Violet and Isobel are both the sort who need a good enemy and feel the most alive when engaged in some sort of battle. They seem to have a great deal of respect and affection for one another and even at the height of the hospital war, they remained civil while carping.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:55 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,244,365 times
Quote:
I hadn't realized they're not showing an episode on February 28th until I check the schedule today.

The 28th will be about manners, although the last episode on March 6th will be 120 minutes. Of course the 120 minutes will be measured in TV minutes. This should fetch us about 100 minutes of actual viewing, since the 60 minutes we've been getting is about 50 minutes.
I used to record broadcast shows, and then edit out the commercials and you get about 42 or less minutes in an hour, so fifty is luxury.

I have the entire season dvd as my pbs pledge gift and have resisted watching it. Season rewatch due after the end!

Old 02-15-2016, 02:22 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,244,365 times
Quote:
Thomas said Downton is the only place he has ever put down any roots. They're the closest to a family he has, which is a very powerful force in his life. Regardless of how much or how little the upstairs and downstairs individuals accept his homosexuality and bad-guy persona, he has been accepted and in turn thinks of them as a family. People who don't have a lot going of for them will cling to a dysfunctional family because that's all they have, especially if that's all they've known. Thomas has come a long way with his behavior.

I'm rooting for things to work out for Thomas. I agree that a potential suicide is an option the writers are creating, but also agree they're being too obvious for it to happen, at least I hope so. I can still see Thomas being a combination butler, under butler and footman.
I'm thinking Thomas will hang on, and ultimatiely get the job as head butler with a few staff. He feels at home there, even if they don't always make it easy. A place you feel connected to makes it easy to forgive a lot. And there have been more hints that its future is much like the real place, where practicle solutions came in time the house didn't end up scrapped. The talk about giving the tours is interesting, since it was one of the first things the present family there did to support the maintaince.

Thomas is also willing to take on any task that needs to be done, which is what they'll need later. And he cares about the place in ways the others may not.

Thomas puts on this bad boy mask but I think its to keep people from looking too deep because he doesn't want want anyone to see inside.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Thomas puts on this bad boy mask but I think its to keep people from looking too deep because he doesn't want want anyone to see inside.
He's learned this skill well. Having to hide his sexuality means he's had to practice the skill more than others and has honed it to the point of it almost being a character flaw. Character flaws make for good drama....

I also like Thomas for his sense of humor and quick wit. One of the funniest moments last night was when he walked in on Mr. Carson and Mrs. Carson surreptitiously sitting on the couch and responded the way Carson would have were the situation reversed, with a quick one liner that was clearly a put down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV