Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 06:56 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times

Advertisements

Of the hundreds of posts so far, has anyone asked which actor or actress has your favorite accent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 08:16 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Of the hundreds of posts so far, has anyone asked which actor or actress has your favorite accent?
I could listen to Hugh all day.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:25 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I don't know, I'm not really figuring on her needing an ending, her victory in the hospital matter seems a nice stopping place for her story.
They went too far into that plot line. Isobel demanded a face to face with the offensive little lord fauntleroy so they can't just leave it at that otherwise that was a huge waste of screen time. To resolve that non-meeting of the minds would take about 30 seconds. He shows up, apologizes for his behavior, gives his ok and makes his exit stage left.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Clearly Mary has that totally stick up the ____ upper crust British accent that we Americans have learned to revere.

Got to love Miss Padmore's down to earth Brit.

I just loved Tom who is actually Irish, from Dublin no less, finally went all Gaelic when he told marry (this a repeat)

You're in a black mist.

You're frightened of being hurt again.

But let me tell you this: you will be hurt again and so will I,

because being hurt is part of being alive.

But, without a shadow of doubt the undisputed title belongs to no other than Dowager Countess of Grantham, Violet Grantham.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:20 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Clearly Mary has that totally stick up the ____ upper crust British accent that we Americans have learned to revere.

Got to love Miss Padmore's down to earth Brit.

I just loved Tom who is actually Irish, from Dublin no less, finally went all Gaelic when he told marry (this a repeat)

You're in a black mist.

You're frightened of being hurt again.

But let me tell you this: you will be hurt again and so will I,

because being hurt is part of being alive.

But, without a shadow of doubt the undisputed title belongs to no other than Dowager Countess of Grantham, Violet Grantham.
Agree with what you said about Mrs. Patmore, Tom, and Violet but Mary's accent and the way she speaks is so annoying. She sounds so fake and like a total snob (which we all know she is one). I guess her accent and manner of speaking (so affected) is called cut-glass, but she sounds so snooty. I hate it. How come Edith doesn't sound like her and they were raised in the same household. Cora and Robert don't even speak the way Mary speaks, well Cora comes from America, but still! Where did she get that manner of speaking? Maybe, Carson read to her as a child - he sounds like a huge snob, too.

I like the way Robert and Edith speak.

Outside of the cast of DA, I like the way Hugh Grant sounds and I especially like the way The Beatles sound in old interviews - John, Paul, Ringo, and George. Lesley Ann Downs has a nice accent, too. Julie Dench, too.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:56 AM

Does Michelle have the same accent when she's herself?

Old 02-27-2016, 08:28 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Quote:
Does Michelle have the same accent when she's herself?
No, her normal accent is not as "proper/upper class" as Mary's.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
but Mary's accent and the way she speaks is so annoying. She sounds so fake and like a total snob
But she is fake and snob, so it's perfect

Seriously, though that's her real accent. She was born and raised in London, attended an exclusive prep school and is a classically trained British actress she ain't from counsel houses of Liverpool ... anyway are we talking about accents and not attitudes?

http://tinyurl.com/jxmepen

Quote:
Maybe, Carson read to her as a child - he sounds like a huge snob, too.
That was funny.

Quote:
Outside of the cast of DA, I like the way Hugh Grant sounds and I especially like the way The Beatles sound in old interviews - John, Paul, Ringo, and George. Lesley Ann Downs has a nice accent, too. Julie Dench, too.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:38 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Definitely not like Mary's accent. At least to my ear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGWIzHtlB6M

Old 02-27-2016, 04:29 PM

I may be wrong, but I think the only actors from DA who were known in the USA before this series are Shirley MacLaine, Maggie Smith and Elizabeth McGovern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV