Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 08:04 AM

389 posts, read 422,259 times

Advertisements

I'm late to the game. I have wanted to watch DA for awhile, but just got Amazon Prime. Watched the First five seasons in about 2 weeks, and than had to wait about a month for season 6 to come out on AP. (At least that's better than waiting something like 2 years for them to continue Sherlock Holmes, but still I could not wait.) Finished season 6 in about 3 days. Now I want more, more, more!!!!

Agree with several comments here. They really should have made Barrows more likable and deserving of trust for the last couple of seasons. He was still manipulative up until the former maid came back to the house, and he outed her at dinner. Had they changed his character sooner, he would have been more deserving of his promotion. The way they did it, I'm not convinced he changed enough to be trusted in the position.

I was sooooo glad to hear Edith call Mary what she has been the entire show. Every time Mary did something horrible, I called her the same thing, and I could not figure out why so many people just fell at her feet in love and loyalty. That said, I think she was truly remorseful for what she did to Edith, and think Edith showed that she was the kinder more thoughtful person in accepting the truth.

Re: Marigold... That poor child always looked sick. I could see them playing that part out in the movie.

I hope you will indulge my lateness in this conversation! I'm not just new to DA, but I'm new to where I live, and I have not found any DA fans around me to talk to about this wonderful show. I could not talk my husband into watching it with me, so my comments are all with myself. (Not very interesting!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 09:25 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spchtx View Post
I'm late to the game. I have wanted to watch DA for awhile, but just got Amazon Prime. Watched the First five seasons in about 2 weeks, and than had to wait about a month for season 6 to come out on AP. (At least that's better than waiting something like 2 years for them to continue Sherlock Holmes, but still I could not wait.) Finished season 6 in about 3 days. Now I want more, more, more!!!!

Agree with several comments here. They really should have made Barrows more likable and deserving of trust for the last couple of seasons. He was still manipulative up until the former maid came back to the house, and he outed her at dinner. Had they changed his character sooner, he would have been more deserving of his promotion. The way they did it, I'm not convinced he changed enough to be trusted in the position.

I was sooooo glad to hear Edith call Mary what she has been the entire show. Every time Mary did something horrible, I called her the same thing, and I could not figure out why so many people just fell at her feet in love and loyalty. That said, I think she was truly remorseful for what she did to Edith, and think Edith showed that she was the kinder more thoughtful person in accepting the truth.

Re: Marigold... That poor child always looked sick. I could see them playing that part out in the movie.

I hope you will indulge my lateness in this conversation! I'm not just new to DA, but I'm new to where I live, and I have not found any DA fans around me to talk to about this wonderful show. I could not talk my husband into watching it with me, so my comments are all with myself. (Not very interesting!)
Welcome. It will probably take you longer to peruse this thread than it takes to watch the entire season.

I feel sorry for your husband. He is missing out on something really good.......

Old 06-16-2016, 04:08 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spchtx View Post

I have the dvd's of all of it with extras, nice pbs support gift, and will do a marathon when I can. I really wanted to give some distance before rewatching the last season.

But I have to disagree about Barrows. He's heavily invested in the system, and someone who doesn't follow it is by necessity put in their place. Barrows has to or he losses his sense of who he is. And these are people who have helped him, and as close to family as he can come. He's tried to dream and it bit him back. He's come to understand that his family is the household he's spent his life with. That they aren't going to tell about the sucide shows in some degree that they are used to him being there too.

Oh yes, Edith telling Mary off. You could almost hear the cheer from all the viewers who wished they could have LONG ago.

The way it ended, with everyone looking forward, with old dreams satisfied, with every hint that they will follow the route that the real house did, with the present owners making it a money machine so it may remain as it was, all of that is moving.

But as they walk away, you realize that their dream world is about to be smashed in a year or so as a man in Germany takes the world into a world war which would change it utterly forever.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:40 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
I don't know, I always kind of took Mary's side in all the conflicts between Mary & Edith. Edith just continually comes off as jealous & envious of Mary, and spending so much energy resenting Mary instead of just concentrating on her own life. She's exhausting! Sure, she had some bad things happen to her, but a lot of them were her own fault, through her own choices.

When she was stalking her kid who was living with the farmer's family, I was hoping they'd accidentally shoot her as an intruder. She was just acting so disgustingly pitiful. Let the poor kid have a normal life and move on, already!

Sure Mary seemed to be mean to her sometimes (a couple times, extraordinarily so), but I think if I had grown up all my life with that annoying mouth-breathing exasperating sister, I'd be kind of mean to her too.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:06 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,656 times
I love Lady Edith - at least the person she became. Really the boring quiet sister became the most interesting one. Especially if you consider the time in which they lived.
I cannot help but wonder what would have happened to these people and the ages they would have been during WWII and the years leading up to it. Would make for a wonderful story some day.
We really want to visit Highclere Castle at some point when we are there but we will have to plan ahead. They are sold out for the summer season.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:59 PM

389 posts, read 422,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I don't know, I always kind of took Mary's side in all the conflicts between Mary & Edith. Edith just continually comes off as jealous & envious of Mary, and spending so much energy resenting Mary instead of just concentrating on her own life. She's exhausting! Sure, she had some bad things happen to her, but a lot of them were her own fault, through her own choices.

When she was stalking her kid who was living with the farmer's family, I was hoping they'd accidentally shoot her as an intruder. She was just acting so disgustingly pitiful. Let the poor kid have a normal life and move on, already!

Sure Mary seemed to be mean to her sometimes (a couple times, extraordinarily so), but I think if I had grown up all my life with that annoying mouth-breathing exasperating sister, I'd be kind of mean to her too.

When they were younger, I get that Edith was annoying and that was the relationship they had. Mary just never seemed to grow out of it. Edith tried to grow in her life, and Mary just grew more into her B%$&cy sister role, until she finally grew up at the end.

I do agree that how she handled the entire Marigold thing was not good. It was a tragedy of the times though. Her having an illegitimate child in her position was just not accepted. A mother's love is hard to ignore though, no matter what societies "rules" tell you.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:27 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
Maybe it's just Edith's perpetual facial expression that irks me. She always looks so depressed and self-pitying. I compare her with someone like Anna or Bates, who also had lots of bad things happen to them, but neither of them turned into a pain in the butt that I'd wish to avoid. they stayed as positive as possible on the outside and didn't want to bring others down. Edith is the epitome of a Debbie Downer. All the times Mary rolled her eyes and said something about how Edith's drama is ruining things again, I was rolling my eyes right along with her.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:21 AM

888 posts, read 454,312 times
Fellows is planning a prequel movie!

https://www.list.co.uk/article/88638...n-for-prequel/

Old 02-21-2017, 12:57 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post
Fellows is planning a prequel movie!

https://www.list.co.uk/article/88638...n-for-prequel/
If it is a prequel set 30 years before 1912, why do they need to "round up the old cast?" None of those actors can now pass for versions of themselves 40 years younger. The old cast would perhaps just be flashing back to their early days where young actors portray them. And if it is 30 years in the past, some of the characters would not even have been born yet.

I'm generally not a fan of prequels because you already know the character's futures. It might be interesting to see Carson back in his "The Two Charlies" song and dance days.

Still, Fellows is an extremely gifted story teller and if someone could pull this off enjoyably, it would be him.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:42 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
If it is a prequel set 30 years before 1912, why do they need to "round up the old cast?" None of those actors can now pass for versions of themselves 40 years younger. The old cast would perhaps just be flashing back to their early days where young actors portray them. And if it is 30 years in the past, some of the characters would not even have been born yet.
Skimmed the article, didja?

Quote:
As well as the prequel, Julian is still hoping that he can round up the old cast - comprised of Michelle Dockery, Dame Maggie Smith, Hugh Bonneville and Jim Carter - so that he can make a successful blockbuster based on the period drama.
He explained to the publication: "I hope there is going to be a film. I would like there to be a film. There are many factors as like all the actors in 'Downton Abbey', we made them famous. Now they have all gone off and they are doing films, theatre or TV series so it will be quite difficult rounding them up."
He's talking two separate projects.[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV