Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think Edith is the middle daughter. Sybil is the youngest.
My mistake then. Actually it fits even better. She's the invisible child. Sybil is more rebellious, and Mary is the focus. She just faded back into the scene. There is so much joy in her comment that finally something was happening that had to do with her... as if it almost didn't matter what it was, someone noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 12:58 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Today, even if Mrs. Hughes did not have cancer and it was a benign cyst, they would probably remove it anyway. Does anyone know how this was handled back then?

One of the DA spoofs was about the characters constantly getting information through eavesdropping. I think the last episode broke the record for characters standing just outside the door within earshot of over hearing private conversations.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:55 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Today, even if Mrs. Hughes did not have cancer and it was a benign cyst, they would probably remove it anyway. Does anyone know how this was handled back then?

One of the DA spoofs was about the characters constantly getting information through eavesdropping. I think the last episode broke the record for characters standing just outside the door within earshot of over hearing private conversations.
That is a very common plot advancement device used especially in soap operas. It's a quick device used to move the plot along. With so much going on in DA it's understandable that the writers use this method every now and then. They do it just enough so it doesn't intrude with the storyline so we can still enjoy the show without it looking contrived.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:30 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I watched it on the dvr today and I kind of felt sorry for the elder gentlement that was going to marry Edith . I also felt horrible for edith . That was a real shame back in those days to be left at the altar . But I must agree he was much too old for Edith . i love the way grandma interferred and said he is quite right . But I must say my heart went out to that poor man . You could see he was visibly upset .

Old 01-16-2013, 08:11 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
I don't feel sorry for him at all. He got much too excited when Edith told him that other woman had gotten a divorce from her husband recently. As he said, he always admired her, so much. Probably wishing he had hooked up with her instead of Edith.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:34 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
What Jeremy Irons has to say about Downton...
Jeremy Irons: Television doesn't end with 'Downton Abbey' - MSN TV News

Old 01-17-2013, 08:00 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
My mistake then. Actually it fits even better. She's the invisible child. Sybil is more rebellious, and Mary is the focus. She just faded back into the scene. There is so much joy in her comment that finally something was happening that had to do with her... as if it almost didn't matter what it was, someone noticed.
Yes, Sybil is the youngest.

I'm actually on episode six of season three already (watching it on-line).

Old 01-17-2013, 10:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Yes, Sybil is the youngest.

I'm actually on episode six of season three already (watching it on-line).
In eleven days the DVD's will be released, and I've preordered. I'm going to watch the ones I have seen first. Its fun speculating about the next episode, and I may even try to wait, but will probably plop in the dvd and watch.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:44 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Has it ever been explained on the show why the estate is called Downton Abbey?

Old 01-18-2013, 07:35 PM

505 posts, read 716,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
Love this series, but Netflix has only Season 1 and I'm not able to watch it on TV. When I first heard about the series I thought people were saying "Downtown Abby"... LOL!!!
If you have internet, you should be able to watch it from PBS website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV