Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 11:06 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think Sir Robert was shaken by the local doctor's failures.
I think it was more reassertion of his class snobbery and arrogance than anything the doctor may or may not have failed to do. God, the man didn't even show up to deliver the baby in a proper dinner jacket! Harrumph!

Cora, however, trusted the local doctor. Trusted? When asked she stated in no uncertain terms that if it had been up to her Sybil would have been in the hospital a half hour before the argument even started.

Quote:
Knowing that something could have been done, that her daughter could have been saved, save the judgment of titled gentlemen, is something that's going to take her a long time to come to terms with. But I think she will.
Come to terms with... I'll by that. Forgive? How many seasons did they decide to produce? However many they've paid for it won't be enough.

Quote:
Thomas's grief was actually quite touching. He's not a nice person, by any means.
Mean? Thomas is a fanatic but mean? I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 11:08 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Did anyone else pick up on that gentle jab Mrs. Crowley gave Mrs. Bird? Mrs. Bird was afraid people would think she was a prostitute if she worked in the same house with Ethel. Mrs. Crowley: "One would only have to look at you to know it isn't true".
Only Mama Grantham could have delivered that one better.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:09 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
I think DA jumped a shark last night.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:55 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath

Could it be that we are FINALLY getting close to a conclusion to the Bates affair? Enough already!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It would have been fine as a spin-off, but it has been an un-entertaining diversion from the central plots.
I suspect they thought a love affair downstairs would have been entertaining then discovered it was fairly boring. As a relief they put Bates in jail to hold him for future events. More literary license.

I'm looking for an episode where Anna takes on the prison by force... the rest is history.

Seal Team Anna to the rescue....

Old 01-28-2013, 11:56 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Mean? Thomas is a fanatic but mean? I don't think so.
I think you are confusing Thomas the valet/footman with Tom, husband of Sybil and Irish rebel.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:59 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I thnikk you are confusing Thomas the valet/footman with Tom, husband of Sybil and Irish rebel.
Ah - that makes more sense. Thomas is not a nice person. But I really did think that showing him breaking down at Sybil's death was intersting. Seems to me they have shown him to be more than a simple 2 dimensional villain on more than one occasion. I like that.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Did anyone else pick up on that gentle jab Mrs. Crowley gave Mrs. Bird? Mrs. Bird was afraid people would think she was a prostitute if she worked in the same house with Ethel. Mrs. Crowley: "One would only have to look at you to know it isn't true".

Yes, I caught that and I thought it was hysterical. Did you notice the look on Mrs. Bird's face when she understood that she would be leaving - she was absolutely flabbergasted. Who would believe Mrs Crawley would choose a prostitute over a trained, efficient, and loyal housekeeper - she apparently didn't believe it. I think she lost her standing when she treated Ethel so rudely and made the comments that she did about Ethel - following up with "that's just how I feel." That kind of shocked me when she did that - I would think you would keep your feelings and emotions to yourself and only speak up if asked or if it was something that was important to the welfare of the house or the inhabitants. Kind of like looking your boss in the face and saying, "well, you're a SOB, sorry, but you are. That's just what I feel," and then stomping off. You have crossed the line at that point!!!

Old 01-28-2013, 12:08 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Yes, I caught that and I thought it was hysterical. Did you notice the look on Mrs. Bird's face when she understood that she would be leaving - she was absolutely flabbergasted. Who would believe Mrs Crawley would choose a prostitute over a trained, efficient, and loyal housekeeper - she apparently didn't believe it. I think she lost her standing when she treated Ethel so rudely and made the comments that she did about Ethel - following up with "that's just how I feel." That kind of shocked me when she did that - I would think you would keep your feelings and emotions to yourself and only speak up if asked or if it was something that was important to the welfare of the house or the inhabitants. Kind of like looking your boss in the face and saying, "well, you're a SOB, sorry, but you are. That's just what I feel," and then stomping off. You have crossed the line at that point!!!
Yes, Mrs. Bird thought by delivering the ultimatum that it was either her or Ethel she would keep her position. Gotta love Mrs. Crowley.....she is absolutely fearless in her actions to do the right thing, regardless of convention.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:09 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
Who do you think will take over the new baby - Mary or Edith? It would give Edith "something to do" and Grandmama suggested. Mary seems like a cold fish to me - she treats Matthew horribly for a newlywed bride, and she really doesn't seem too interested in getting pregnant. Maybe her initiation into sex with the Turkish gentleman (season 1?) has ruined it for her. I don't think the baby will be allowed to leave Downton with Tom, even though he is the child's father - how can he raise a child alone? This will free him up to go back to Dublin, get caught, and killed. They don't need him in the show now that Sybil is gone.....hmmm.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:13 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
I actually feel desperately sorry for Lord Grantham on top of being super mad at him.

Can you imagine how it must feel to be the one who insisted on using the bad doctor? He basically had a huge role in causing his own daughter's death. He did the wrong thing but for the right reasons.

All this on top of the army thing and losing all the money. He must feel like such a failure.

I think we need a conclusion to the Bates story soon. I did not find their love story boring at all, so for me the new story line was unnecessary and the idea of killing oneself to get revenge sounds extremely far fetched. I also have no idea what is going on with the cell mate and guard and am finding it annoying.

On the whole I thought the episode was excellent, surprising and heart breaking. I cried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV