Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 05:38 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times

Advertisements

To the person who repped me correcting me about the use of "cricket" to refer to something unfair.......
Urban Dictionary: its just not cricket

But thanks for the rep!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 09:23 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
It's a bat and ball game.

Cricket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it's also a term meaning something is not on the up and up or fair.

I've heard it used as that also...

Old 02-04-2013, 02:48 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Was mine the only pbs station who showed the episode twice in a row tonight?

Old 02-04-2013, 06:14 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
My station re-plays the last week's episode before airing the new one.

Thomas may be a snake in the grass, but he is no match for O'Brien. He made a big mistake when he became her enemy.

Looks like Bates will be back next week. What will happen to Thomas then? They already have two footmen.

Can Lord Grantham be more pompous and obnoxious? I couldn't believe it when he stormed into Mrs. Crowley's home and demanded all his "women folk" to leave because of Ethel. So glad they stood up to him and stayed.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:30 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
My station re-plays the last week's episode before airing the new one.

Thomas may be a snake in the grass, but he is no match for O'Brien. He made a big mistake when he became her enemy.

Looks like Bates will be back next week. What will happen to Thomas then? They already have two footmen.

Can Lord Grantham be more pompous and obnoxious? I couldn't believe it when he stormed into Mrs. Crowley's home and demanded all his "women folk" to leave because of Ethel. So glad they stood up to him and stayed.
Usually they do that, but this week they showed this week's episode twice.

Oh yes, Thomas made a mistake. She's already stabbed him in the back once, when they had their supply business. And she is going to do all she can to clear the pathway for her nephew.

I LOVED it when Lord Grantham asks if any of them are going to come with him, and his mother says it would be ashamed to miss the desert. Matthew is planning on redoing his estate and even his mother won't listen to him.

I wonder if naming a child after a decesed parent was considered unseemly or its just Robert? My family is full of children named after mothers and fathers.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:05 AM

7,367 posts, read 5,481,324 times
Lord Grantham was wrong but I couldn't help but feel sorry for him. His daughter is dead and he didn't really have anyone to grieve with except for that scene where he confided in Mary and she begged him to repeat what he had told her to Cora.
I'm glad Bates is getting out of jail finally! That whole storyline had been so boring to me!

Old 02-04-2013, 07:17 AM

490 posts, read 682,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
The term "sticky wicket" comes from cricket. It means a harrowing experience and refers to the pitch area.
It means a difficult situation. A sticky wicket is a term used to describe a cricket pitch which has moisture in it (something that greatly favours the bowler), making life hard for the batsman.

Downton Abbey, or Highclere Castle to give it its real world name, is only 3 miles from where I live on the Hampshire/Berkshire border in the south of England.

In the TV show it is supposed to be in the north, near the city of York.

I enjoy reading through this thread. It's interesting to see the fascination some Americans still have for the 'old' England.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
Loved, loved, loved the Dowager this week. Defying Robert when he ordered his womenfolk out of Mrs. Crawley's luncheon. Getting to the bottom of things with the family doctor in order to repair the damage between Cora and Robert. She was magnificent and a true matriarch.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:17 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Lady Grantham wanted the good doctor to lie a bit. He looked uncomfortable when asked if there was any chance that Sybil could have survived had she gotten the cesarean. When he said it was "infintesimal" I had the feeling he was stretching the truth to kowtow to the Dowagers wishes that peace be restored in the Granthams marriage. She was giving him some pretty intense looks before he spoke.

According to Wiki: The treatment of eclampsia requires prompt intervention and aims to prevent further convulsions, control the elevated blood pressure, and immediately terminate the pregnancy—by delivery of the baby if possible.

While no outcome is guaranteed, the local doctor was right in wanting to deliver the baby via cesarean asap. I would venture to say the cesarean would have given better results than "infintesimal". To not do so was certain death.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:31 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
Default A Catholic's Opinion

For the first two seasons of DA, Branson's "religion" appeared to be Irish nationalism, and he talked more like a Marxist than a Catholic. Now all of a sudden he says he's Catholic and wants the baby to be baptized as such! Likewise, Lord Grantham came across during that time as an "enlightened despot", and now he sounds like Archie Bunker when talking about Catholics!
I realize that religion is often part of one's "tribal" identity rather than something that is deeply understood and followed, and that was also true in the times in which DA is set. I wonder if that is the point Mr. Fellowes (who identifies himself as Catholic) is trying to make.

P.S. The abrupt shifts in character, of which the above two are examples, make my head spin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV