Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 01:42 PM

41,772 posts, read 74,778,397 times

Advertisements

Soaps have plenty of viewers; they're just not the traditional viewers of years past who watched the show live on the network affiliate. The networks have yet to figure out how to count all those viewers who time shift via DVR/VCR, who watch on SoapNet, who watch online via official web sites or YouTube, etc.

The network brass keeps harping about women are working outside the home and aren't home to watch soaps. Bullcrap. I've been watching soaps since I was 15; during every single one of those years, I've either been a full-time student or had a full-time job.

The viewers are out there, but they're being ignored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 02:07 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,617,491 times
I just can't see myself watching a show called "the chew" sounds stupid.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:00 PM

483 posts, read 851,767 times
When I heard that ATWT was being cancelled, I knew that AMC wouldn't be too far behind. I remember my mom watching AMC and the other ABC soaps when I was growing up. I myself began watching them in the late 90s on and off. I stopped watching them a couple of years ago but I would still tune in once and a while to see what was going on.

I am very saddened by both AMC and OLTL's cancellations, although not surprised. Young women just aren't growing up watching them like in the past decades. GH and the rest will soon follow. It is unfortunate but this is the time that we live in now.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:08 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,037,158 times
My primary soap was OLTL althought I've kept up with AMC somewhat. AMC used to be hilarious with Phoebe, Lenny the Purse Snatcher and Myrtle. Glad 'they' aren't alive to see this.

I am probably going to have a personality disorder when OLTL goes off...

Old 04-18-2011, 05:57 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,974,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
I just can't see myself watching a show called "the chew" sounds stupid.
Yes, we REALLY need ANOTHER cooking show, don't we?

I have been watching 'All My Children" since the beginning.....started watching it with my Mom.

This news literally makes me sick.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:18 PM

8,801 posts, read 21,213,810 times
In Latin America, the "soaps" (novelas) are very popular, They are on in the evenings and even men watch them. Betty La Fea began as a novela in Mexico, I think.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-19-2011, 12:42 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,065,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
In Latin America, the "soaps" (novelas) are very popular, They are on in the evenings and even men watch them. Betty La Fea began as a novela in Mexico, I think.

univision has wonderful novelas---guess i can get my soap fix there after amc goes----i am caught up in triunfo del amor even tho my spanish is rudimentary at best

Old 04-19-2011, 09:12 PM

26,138 posts, read 48,790,090 times
Not unexpected.

The crap on "reality" TV and "entertainment" news shows far surpasses the corny situations and tacky villains the soaps invented.

The real question is: Do soaps imitate life or does life imitate soaps?

Don't bother with an answer, it's a rhetorical question, either way it's a yawn.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:30 PM

444 posts, read 796,973 times
Sad news.

Don't they know that there are still people who plan their lunch hour to watch a soap (and I know men who do, too)?

Plenty of people DVR them.

Suddenly now after 40+ years we need to get rid of the soaps?? For some more stupid talk and cooking shows??? Yeah. Let's do that.......

Old 04-20-2011, 06:20 AM

41,772 posts, read 74,778,397 times
From former soap actress Catherine Hickland, ranting about ABC Daytime head Brian Frons:

Catherine Hickland - actress, author of The 30 Day Heartbreak Cure, Hypnotist.

ETA: Hoover yanks ads from soaps in protest

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ap-operas.html

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 04-20-2011 at 06:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV