Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 11:23 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times

Advertisements

I was very impressed with episode 2. It was very much from the book and the origional series, except for the beautiful scenery in color. It didn't seem rushed. We see Ross as a young man trying to recoup his life, but still very true to himself. There's a lot of small things too, like the way George hasn't quite become the hard man his father is, suggesting they wait on the mine, knowing how it will reflect on the family. And the slow encroachment of the Warleggens behind the scenes as times change.

It feels like the last act of one play while everything is set for the next, and the end of an age and the birth of another.

I like Verity too, even though she isn't as old as she's said to be. She's certainly old enough to be beyond the norm for marriage.

Demelza seems older but since she was younger and didn't quite look it last time, it doesn't feel like as much time has gone on as perhaps has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 11:38 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
I think if I had not read the books or seen the first version, I would give this a B+. The second episode was pretty good. The main storyline is keeping with the original, but a great deal of the secondary plots and other incidents are written by the new authors. I still find the pacing extremely rushed. The relationship between Francis and George and George being more friendly follows the original books. He gets meaner later. Also George discusses his humble beginnings with this father, but never discusses that in public. They try to hide the obvious rough grandfather from the public eye, the one who first started their business that later generates a fortune. I was wondering where they filmed what is supposed to be Truro, since that is no longer a quaint village. I know that the original series was partly filmed in Yorkshire, pretending to be the West Country, as well as on location in Cornwall and many interior scenes were filmed on soundstages.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I think if I had not read the books or seen the first version, I would give this a B+. The second episode was pretty good. The main storyline is keeping with the original, but a great deal of the secondary plots and other incidents are written by the new authors. I still find the pacing extremely rushed. The relationship between Francis and George and George being more friendly follows the original books. He gets meaner later. Also George discusses his humble beginnings with this father, but never discusses that in public. They try to hide the obvious rough grandfather from the public eye, the one who first started their business that later generates a fortune. I was wondering where they filmed what is supposed to be Truro, since that is no longer a quaint village. I know that the original series was partly filmed in Yorkshire, pretending to be the West Country, as well as on location in Cornwall and many interior scenes were filmed on soundstages.
They are doing a really good job with George Warleggen. He and his father are ashamed of his still roughend grandfather who worked for a living until he got lucky. His father doesn't really care for the upper class conventions but follows them, but George was raised with them. He desperately wants to gain real acceptance. In the books its a major theme. And the slow marginalizing of the old families is as well. Its a really good look at a time and how society in general was changing to something none had planned on.

I'm guessing the pacing is faster because they have fewer episodes to tell the story. I still miss Jud's incomprehensible speech, but then bbc used subtitles since most English couldn't decipher it either. That wouldn't go now. I don't think pbs kept the subtitles so we were left guessing what he said much of the time.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
They are doing a really good job with George Warleggen. He and his father are ashamed of his still roughend grandfather who worked for a living until he got lucky. His father doesn't really care for the upper class conventions but follows them, but George was raised with them. He desperately wants to gain real acceptance. In the books its a major theme. And the slow marginalizing of the old families is as well. Its a really good look at a time and how society in general was changing to something none had planned on.

I'm guessing the pacing is faster because they have fewer episodes to tell the story. I still miss Jud's incomprehensible speech, but then bbc used subtitles since most English couldn't decipher it either. That wouldn't go now. I don't think pbs kept the subtitles so we were left guessing what he said much of the time.

Repped you for your spot-on comments and interpretation. In the first series, Grandpa Warleggan makes an appearance, I think in the second season, and George and his father try to keep him away from their upper-class company as much as possible. It was comical. I do miss Jud's Cornish accent and his repulsive filth, but glad that this Demelza's favorite expression is also "Judas" like the original Demelza. I can't wait until we meet the young dashing doctor. While I thought Ralph Bates was a fabulous actor, especially in Poldark, I think this actor also does a good job portraying George. Finally, at the end of the second episode, there was a little light humor. It's certainly a much better treatment of the Poldark novels than the attempt in the l1990s. The Stranger from the Sea. I also have to correct myself. Aunt Agatha did live at Trenwith with Francis and Elizabeth in the novels, but that was changed in the first television version, also to the dismay of Winston Graham.

Rather miss Ross's regular prostitute who was half in love with him. She also serviced Francis too and said that wonderful line, "some talk before, some talk after, but you're the only one who talks during."

Old 06-29-2015, 02:20 PM

Poldark: does a period drama need a shirtless man? - Telegraph

Old 06-29-2015, 02:33 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times

Does it really hurt? I'll have to watch the first version when this one is over.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:35 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Does it really hurt? I'll have to watch the first version when this one is over.
It's probably not necessary, but they know their audience.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:53 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

The market scene in Episode I was filmed in Corsham, a beautiful small town in Wiltshire. I have to watch online and haven't yet seen Episode II, but would guess Corsham is standing in for Truro. It's a gorgeous, very walkable place.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:13 PM

Interesting article. Chased by a bunch of church school girls.... yeah he was soooo sexy.

I like the comment about the 'edge' the new series has, where the pesants look properly desperate and the well off extremely well off.

I think the scene where he bathes in the sea, minus clothes, is actually in the book.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:07 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
So far I like the first series better than this one. They are not showing a lot that was in the first series. I think that is because Masterpiece Theatre has so many other shows now that they don't need to spend much time on just one. I thought they took the whole year to put on the first series so they had much more of the story to tell. Too bad really.

I also don't like these actors as much. Aiden Turner seems to be there to show his physic off and the Demelza actress doesn't have as much personality as the first one. She seems to be afraid all the time. The first series she stood up for herself a lot more. Made it more interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV