Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:06 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times

Advertisements

I love this show most of the time. Today's show had them actually putting in a pool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 10:47 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
That's the one where they find them at the local big-box home improvement store, right? I've watched several. I really enjoy them. I am not good at figuring out landscaping so I watch to try and get ideas. It hasn't happened yet, but I keep trying.

My favorite was the one where they made it look like the Pacific northwest. It even had a stream running through the backyard. It was pretty exciting because it actually poured buckets during the entire weekend and they actually had to finish on Monday, a show "first." It really came out looking great.

Someday I'd love to get some sort of a water feature working in our yard. Right now it is still the same sad mess as when we bought it three years ago.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:22 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
I have one major objection to all the Crasher shows. They show all this mayhem and mad-dash construction, then spend ten seconds showing you the finished product at the end. And half the time it's filmed at night so you can never get a good look at the work. I watched one where they spent five minutes of the half-hour with the host teaching the cute (I'm sure that played a part) home owner how to build a table for her patio that had lights under it AND (supposedly) a water feature. I'll never know what it looked like, though, because they wasted all the time on Clueless Cutie learning to control a nail gun and we never saw the table finished. Not one shot. Nada. Zip. Zero. Where was the water? I'll never know.

I'd like less time dedicated to the silly meeting at the store and all the other fake details (I'm sure they recruit professional landscapers who arrive with detailed plans in less than 24 hours ... for a swimming pool, right) and more time on explanations. A brief view of a plan on paper would help a lot.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:40 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,647,326 times
If only he would show up when I am wandering through the Home Improvement store! I am always surprised at the people who turn him down! My husband was watching last weekend and said that the woman recognized him and chased him down!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:52 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,011,346 times
If I see any of them- yard crashers, bath crashers, home crashers- I'd chase them down too!!

Old 04-26-2011, 01:51 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
If only he would show up when I am wandering through the Home Improvement store! I am always surprised at the people who turn him down! My husband was watching last weekend and said that the woman recognized him and chased him down!
Me, too. You'd be surprised at how many people are really clueless about how to make their way in life, though.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:01 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
Yep....the 'surprise' aspect only lasts a season or two. By then, most of the DIY'ers who hang out at the improvement stores know who they are.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:55 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I have one major objection to all the Crasher shows. They show all this mayhem and mad-dash construction, then spend ten seconds showing you the finished product at the end. And half the time it's filmed at night so you can never get a good look at the work. I watched one where they spent five minutes of the half-hour with the host teaching the cute (I'm sure that played a part) home owner how to build a table for her patio that had lights under it AND (supposedly) a water feature. I'll never know what it looked like, though, because they wasted all the time on Clueless Cutie learning to control a nail gun and we never saw the table finished. Not one shot. Nada. Zip. Zero. Where was the water? I'll never know.

I'd like less time dedicated to the silly meeting at the store and all the other fake details (I'm sure they recruit professional landscapers who arrive with detailed plans in less than 24 hours ... for a swimming pool, right) and more time on explanations. A brief view of a plan on paper would help a lot.
I've had like thoughts for some of the shows but then realize, things don't always turn out the way planned or just didn't make the mark. So they breeze thru the accomplishment while popping the cork on the champagne.

I think the real intent though, it to get people creative and into the stores. After all, isn't this show sponsored in part by Lowe's? Frequently when a store employee asks if they can help, I just tell them 'I'm messing around' or that 'I'm trying to have a good idea.'

What I've learned is that I'll go out in my back yard and start moving rocks around. At some point, I'll go to the hardware store to get something to hold them in place. Bingo... the show worked.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:43 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Those shows makes me wish I had an unlimited budget and 100 or so professional contractors at my disposal.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:42 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
I have a very important rule with my husband. If either one of us are out and approached by one of these crasher shows we are to bring them home pronto!

I can't get over the people that say that they need to call their spouse first. Huh???!?!

I do agree that I would like to see less of the work and more of the final product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV