Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 10:26 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,643,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
boldface # 1- Awful, Awfuller, Awfullest. She's all three. I'm not a country fan and she's a good example why .

boldface # 2 - I think so too, though I'd rather see Nick take it now. I guess there's a possibility though that teen girls may split their vote between Terry and Cassadee, and then Nick could win?
I think you may be miscalculating the power of the teen girl vote. My 14-year-old daughter and I watch the show but I've asked her and none of her friends are very interested in it. She rarely votes. Also, Terry is much too old to be a teenage heartthrob and the songs he's sung on the show were hits 20 years before she was born. She does like Cassadee, but she also likes Nick.

I think The Voice audience is very much an "older" crowd. Older than teenagers, anyway.

As far as Raelynn goes, I don't mind the tone of her voice, but can't stand how she pronounces words. I'm from Texas and know the sound of a Texas twang, but don't know anyone who says "bohy-frain" for "boyfriend." It's grating.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:27 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,503,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I guess its a good thing that they are singers and not contestants on Next Top Model.

That's what makes it The Voice!

However, nowadays, there are not very many unattractive singers out there......especially in country western.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:30 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,503,562 times
One of the best things about The Voice is that they offer criticism without being nasty about it. And they do this from the very start.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:36 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,956,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I think you may be miscalculating the power of the teen girl vote.
You may be right about the tweens but over the years I've learned to never underestimate the musical taste of 14 years olds, as witnessed by your daughter's appreciation of ND. I can't tell you how much of my music collection has been raided by my daughter. As for the Voice audience, the show is slaying the competition in the 18-49 demographic.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:37 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,956,889 times
Somebody tell me again that NickD isn't the second coming of Arron Neville minus the physique.

STAND BY ME [by MR. AARON NEVILLE] - YouTube

Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,274,583 times

Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks - YouTube

I've been hearing this song a lot on the radio and thinking to myself, "Who does this girl remind me of??"

I think Melanie tries to sing like her. Maybe she isn't as original as everyone thought she was....

Old 12-13-2012, 04:05 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,398,487 times
A really fun moment from last season worth sharing. Go ahead and say it's Christina making it all about her again.. *shrug* The contestant didn't seem to mind. Neither did the crowd, or even the other judges. You can tell Adam was hoping Christina would hit her button. I like how the judges are generous that way. If they know a contestant is best suited to another coach, they encourage them to push their button.

The Voice - Christina Aguilera Sings 'I'm Goin' Down' With Contestant - YouTube

And on a side note, the way the rules were last two seasons, with one finalist per judge... this is why this great voice didn't make it. Christina had so many great voices last season. And it had to be narrowed down to one. Pretty absurd, the likes of the Britney Spears song guy making it past her.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

As far as Raelynn goes, I don't mind the tone of her voice, but can't stand how she pronounces words. I'm from Texas and know the sound of a Texas twang, but don't know anyone who says "bohy-frain" for "boyfriend." It's grating.
That's exactly what I can't stand. She really overdoes that twang.
It's like she wants it to be known every second of the song how country she is.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:17 PM

Erin Martin Vs. The Shields Brothers - What's Love Got To Do With It (The Voice, Battle Phase) - YouTube

Hilarious moment from Season 2. I love the Shields Brothers. They've done some fun covers. Including one of my fave Gotye covers, because it's so different.

I'm glad we didn't have any Erins in the finals this season.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:23 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,439,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Why I think the Voice is by far the best vocal competition ever.

Win lose or draw, great talent gets exposure not only to the audience but to the recording industry in a very important way, under the mentoring of industry heavy weights. The concept of having coaches instead of judges was a master stroke. And it appears to have paid off on camera and off. Over the three seasons it is clear that the Blake, Christina, Adam, and Celo have really invested in the contestants. The four have taken a sense of ownership and commitment to the contestants that you will never see on AI or any of the other programs.

Take Blake Shelton, someone who I have grown to really respect, for example. To me he epitomizes what I am talking about because he has taken out on tour not only semi-finalist but folks who didn't even make it out of the battle rounds like Gwen Sebastian. Or consider Christina's offer to take Trevin under her wing, win, lose or draw. A star of her stature doesn't have to do that and particularly when Trevin wasn't even on her team. When I heard that, as a fan my concerns for Trevin's future evaporated. From my vantage point, Trevin couldn't have done better even if had won the entire competition.

That is a great thing, and what makes the show one of those small lights of hope, in a see of inane situation comedies, egotistical realty shows, cop procedurals, and the other see of garbage that floats across the airwaves. Call me nieve but its nice to see people really caring about other folks these days.

Which brings me to my final point. the fact that the Voice doesn't spend an iota of time exploiting the untalented, the delusional, those of questionable mental stability in the age of AI, Jerry Springer and Maury is an amazing... I can't think of a word... leap towards common decency, and good taste that I can't appropriately state. That alone places the show miles above any of the others.
It can't be the best since they use national recording artists.

Cassedee Pope - The Nasally Singer of Hey Monday - Hey Monday was signed to big label Columbia Records. Their song Candles was covered on Glee. Appearances on TRL. An album that charted #24 on Billboard. She had an established fanbase before even walking on the first show.

Like I predicted prior to the live shows, she is on track to win this. Just look at those iTunes sales...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
I am pretty sure the season will be a snooze since if Cassadee Pope makes the fan voting portion, she will win. Easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV