Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 11:39 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times

Advertisements

I like that it will be the same judges - they'll have some experience with the format which should help and the contestants will have the familiarity of watching them from season 1

should make the selection of both the contestants and the contestants choice interesting within that context

Old 07-01-2011, 01:10 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
Yes, you had a prob with it... and then I said, "Well I don't think Bev had any issues." Then I posted the direct link to her Twitter so people could read, from the horse's mouth, what she thought. (Which is all that really matters. She's the one who performed with Xtina.)

Then you attempted to water down her passionate Tweets about how great it was to perform the song with Christina and Linda Perry by implying that she is just being a "good business woman"... so you were basically saying there was no actual emotion behind what she was saying... she was merely promoting herself.
I never said there was no actual emotion behind it. I merely pointed out that even if Beverly had not liked the way the duet was sang she would have never said anything. You made the assumption that this meant that I said that Beverly didn't like it. If you hadn't made that assumption, then why did you even bother with responding with the tweet and more?

Quote:
I got a couple reps for my last response, so I'm not the only one who read it that way.
As have I. So I guess some people agree with me and some agree with you. Shocking.

Quote:
lol I did?
Noooo, I was saying she didn't... that's my whole point.

I think you were attempting to throw a little passive shade at Xtina, are being called on it, and... it's just not working as you'd hoped. A for effort though.

I'm gonna end this convo, because as the saying goes "people watching may not know the diff" or something like that....
Christina is an absolute diva. I didn't say it was a bad thing, but it's a fact. When she sings in groups of other women she will also compete with them (likely on a subconscious level, but she does it). I remember someone analyzing a performance she did with Aretha Franklin and it showed how the 2 were constantly trying to outdo each other. That's just how she sings, and sometimes it makes the song sound bad.

I can't believe anyone would think Christina is not a diva. She is and she's earned that title. Like I said, I don't think it's a bad thing most of the time. But when she sang the duet with Beverly that competitive side of her came out and for me she just overdid it. Beverly understood that the arrangment was stripped down and that they didn't need to be running all over the place. Christina did not understand that and it her style didn't match the arrangment.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:02 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Well I hate to feel this way, but was the whole shy Dia schtick an act or what?

YouTube - ‪MEG & DIA - "Monster"‬‏
Ok first? Wow! That was amazing! She is going to have one hell of a career.

Second? I have no idea how you can compare doing a video with your sister and a band you know intimately well, in a private setting, to standing alone on a stage in front of 4 mega-stars and a huge audience in a competition that's airing on television to millions of people. Even I would act differently in each of those situations. I'd bet a million dollars so would you.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:57 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post

Second? I have no idea how you can compare doing a video with your sister and a band you know intimately well, in a private setting, to standing alone on a stage in front of 4 mega-stars and a huge audience in a competition that's airing on television to millions of people. Even I would act differently in each of those situations. I'd bet a million dollars so would you.
I'm not buying it. Xenia yes, 16 and even her best friend didn't know she sang, or at least so the story goes. Nervous in front of the mega-stars, who he hell wasn't.

YouTube - ‪Meg & Dia - "Monster (Live)"‬‏

YouTube - ‪Meg & Dia - Monster Live (professionally edited)‬‏

YouTube - ‪Meg & Dia - Black Wedding (Live at Pittsburgh's Post Gazette Pavilion)‬‏

Old 07-02-2011, 09:42 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,235 times
Ovcatto,you have a point and I agree.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:47 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post

I agree.

The dynamics of performing in a group versus performing on your own are very different.

I don't even understand how someone could say they are the same or comparable. They're not. In one setting you're performing with people you know well and are comfortable with, in the other you're not. They're not similar at all so it shouldn't be surprising that someone reacts to the two situations differently.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:44 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

I'm not buying it. Xenia yes, 16 and even her best friend didn't know she sang, or at least so the story goes. Nervous in front of the mega-stars, who he hell wasn't.
Whatever. The new videos don't make your point any better than the first one did. Nor do I even know why it matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post

I agree.

The dynamics of performing in a group versus performing on your own are very different.

I don't even understand how someone could say they are the same or comparable. They're not. In one setting you're performing with people you know well and are comfortable with, in the other you're not. They're not similar at all so it shouldn't be surprising that someone reacts to the two situations differently.
Exactly.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:00 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Default The Voice, Season 2

New season of The Voice starts Feb 5th right after the Super Bowl!

Old 12-21-2011, 09:33 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
Can't wait! I've never cared for American Idol or most other shows like that. But I really enjoy The Voice. I love all the judges and the whole chair turning gimmick. Good stuff!

Old 12-21-2011, 10:33 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
ditto---not an AI fan but really enjoyed this show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV