Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 07:50 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times

Advertisements

In terms of overall talent (multi-dimensional) contestants remaining I would say that Amanda and Cody are the most appealing. I do think Melanie has exhibited some star quality the past couple of weeks as well as Trevin and Cassadee, who I agree with Adam Levine may have found a genre with her Country choice last night. I really don't get the Nicholas David appeal and kind of chalk it up to what happened with Taylor Hicks who managed to win American Idol Season 5 over stars such as Chris Daughtry, Kellie Pickler and Katherine MacPhee. I agree regarding Sylvia's pitchfest and Dez's wooden performances. Sadly the sub-demographic of the American public (tweens) which unfortunately drives current music "tastes" will determine the winner. Just a thought but perhaps The Voice can tweak the set-up for next season and not leave it up to that proven less-than-reliable voting block. The coaches should have some control over the finals and help ensure the real talent gets through with saves or similar. The premise of judging just the voice and not looks is what separates this show from the rest. Why abandon that at the end?

Old 11-20-2012, 07:53 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
The Voice was really exceptional last night. I LOVED everyone's performance, except for Sylvia. She is just not that good (to me). I am liking Melanie more and more, and her song was a great choice, she sounded great. LOVED Amanda - wow, she blew me away. Honestly everyone really stepped up their game last night. I even really loved Cassadee and Dez, who previously left me cold - color me surprised! And Cody really makes me smile - love him! Song choices were superb, and the coaches really gave them good advice on their delivery. Loved it all! Other than Sylvia, I will be sad to see any of them go.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:32 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,346,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
The Voice was really exceptional last night. I LOVED everyone's performance, except for Sylvia. She is just not that good (to me). I am liking Melanie more and more, and her song was a great choice, she sounded great. LOVED Amanda - wow, she blew me away. Honestly everyone really stepped up their game last night. I even really loved Cassadee and Dez, who previously left me cold - color me surprised! And Cody really makes me smile - love him! Song choices were superb, and the coaches really gave them good advice on their delivery. Loved it all! Other than Sylvia, I will be sad to see any of them go.
I forgot to say I also voted for Cody, the most in fact. He is a performer, for sure. And Amanda's song was unfamiliar to me too (don't feel too bad, Blake and Christina didn't know it either) .. and it was a beautiful introduction.

As the previous poster said, though, it is the 'tweens with their multiple email accounts, Facebook pages and smartphones -- and the time and passion -- who truly can drive the results by voting in all those media.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,213,292 times
fun show last night - good variety and I continue to enjoy the coaches ...... I liked how christina went into "professional critique" mode last night with nicholas - I think it's pretty clear she isn't really a fan of his, but he did nail it last night so she found some nice things to say (without her obligatory, "you know i'm a big fan of what you do" routine)

I wish they didn't spoil the cody theatrics in the preview, although the look on jennifer hudsons face was pretty classic

my wife is a big fan of sylvia (i think this goes back to the early shows) ... IMO I would be OK if she was in the next group to go ... amanda rebounded (and my in-laws who are now visiting us are huge fans of grace potter so they got a kick out of it), cassadee did well .... I'd be fine with Dez going, I just don't see it happening (although he's not as obnoxious as that kid last year from boston or some such place - complete cheeseball)

I really liked what melanie did, although I think she needs to find a way to bring out some grit and emotion .... she has it in her and showed some power at the end of the song ... I generally liked her arrangement, but there are some kind of defiant/emotional parts that she could have really contrasted a bit better - just not sure if the confidence/experience is there for her to do it ..... I'd have her listen to copious amounts of Trent Reznor as he's a master at such things - really understands how to build in the quiet moments

Old 11-20-2012, 10:07 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times
I like Melanie more every show and hope she makes it to the finals. Thought Nicholas and Amanda did well too. Overall thought it was the best show this season. I'm tired of Sylvia and have never liked Cassadee. I'm betting Sylvia and Dez go home.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:26 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,222,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In terms of overall talent (multi-dimensional) contestants remaining I would say that Amanda and Cody are the most appealing. I do think Melanie has exhibited some star quality the past couple of weeks as well as Trevin and Cassadee, who I agree with Adam Levine may have found a genre with her Country choice last night. I really don't get the Nicholas David appeal and kind of chalk it up to what happened with Taylor Hicks who managed to win American Idol Season 5 over stars such as Chris Daughtry, Kellie Pickler and Katherine MacPhee. I agree regarding Sylvia's pitchfest and Dez's wooden performances. Sadly the sub-demographic of the American public (tweens) which unfortunately drives current music "tastes" will determine the winner. Just a thought but perhaps The Voice can tweak the set-up for next season and not leave it up to that proven less-than-reliable voting block. The coaches should have some control over the finals and help ensure the real talent gets through with saves or similar. The premise of judging just the voice and not looks is what separates this show from the rest. Why abandon that at the end?
Agree with you on all points! I too am a fan of Amanda and Cody.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:44 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
According to the iTunes Chart the most safe appear to be Cassadee Pope, Melanie Martinez, Amanda Brown and Nicholas David. The iTunes charting component counts 10X over the call-in vote if I remember correctly. Cassadee was NUMBER ONE, Melanie was 13th, Amanda 15th, Nicholas 17th, Dez 26th, Terry 56th, Bryan 67th and Sylvia was 95th out of the Top 100. Kind of shocking that Trevin didn't place and a bit less so for Cody's cover of a Beyonce song as I figured America in general would have trouble handling that. Hopefully the votes keep him safe.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:46 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,687,487 times
Sylvia needs to go home.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:33 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,483,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
According to the iTunes Chart the most safe appear to be Cassadee Pope, Melanie Martinez, Amanda Brown and Nicholas David. The iTunes charting component counts 10X over the call-in vote if I remember correctly. Cassadee was NUMBER ONE, Melanie was 13th, Amanda 15th, Nicholas 17th, Dez 26th, Terry 56th, Bryan 67th and Sylvia was 95th out of the Top 100. Kind of shocking that Trevin didn't place and a bit less so for Cody's cover of a Beyonce song as I figured America in general would have trouble handling that. Hopefully the votes keep him safe.
I'm pretty sure last night he said the artist has to be in the top 10 trending iTunes at the close of voting (which was 10 am EST) in order to get 10X, so it looks like Cassadee is the only one who qualifies. And that's only 10X her iTunes votes. The others get only 1X their iTunes votes.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:18 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,343,435 times
I actually am not much on Melanie at all, so I guess I'm not in the norms for this thread. I actually do like Sylvia, Cassadee and Dez. Call me crazy!

I am used to hearing White Stripes singing the song Melanie sang last night and I just do not like her take on it. The way she sings does not appeal to me at all. Seems a little too folksie sounding or something.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.