Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 08:37 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
It wasn't Hitler's song. It was the German National Anthem.
Isn't it still the national anthem? Seems to me I've heard it played at recent Olympic Games.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:39 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
You are right. The song was the German national anthem.
The National Anthem has been around since 1922 and really had nothing to do with the Reich.

Deutschlandlied - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-12-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I really liked the bits of history thrown in to the story line. I remember Kennedy's "Ich Bin Ein Berliner" speech. It made headlines througout the world.

Collette's reaction to being in Germany was so heartbreaking. This show is on the top of my "must see" list for this season. It is more than just the adventures of flight attendants and pilots. It's history, intrigue and adventure with some fun thrown in.
I love the fact that in the show they did point out that a 'Berliner' is a Jelly Donut - this is true!

I loved the Berlin story line (I've been there and had family who were trapped in East Berline) but wish there had been more locale filming. Didn't look like they shot on location at all. Would have been nice to see the Brandenberg Gate.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Isn't it still the national anthem? Seems to me I've heard it played at recent Olympic Games.
Yes it is!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:28 AM

This is a pretty accurate accessment of the Berlin episode of Pan Am (Spoilers if you haven't seen it yet): 'Pan Am' recap: Berlin brings out the best in the show | Season 1 Episode 03 | EW.com

Old 10-12-2011, 11:07 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95
I really think some people look into shows WAY too hard. It's for entertainment!!!

Quote:
Exactly!!!!

Correct
, it is entertainment; and entertainment means different things to different people. Look at Shakespears plays. How many books of critique and explanation and character study were written for each play.

Some people will go to a play, movie, TV show, and when they watch it, it's over.

Others will look into the characters and discuss them, and try to anticipate their next actions.

Others will look at them as a reminder of history.

Pan Am was an important airline in the U.S. history, and many people are interested in that history, so they want to discuss it. I venture to say that many of the young viewers have no idea of what the Berlin Airlift was all about, and the historical importance of that brief 11 months of history.

However one chooses to react to the Pan Am show is the correct way for that person.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:07 PM

664 posts, read 1,027,737 times
Captain Bill, I really enjoy reading your posts, very enlighting. Please keep it up, makes the show more fun to watch.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:16 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,830,866 times
Quote:
The National Anthem has been around since 1922 and really had nothing to do with the Reich.

Deutschlandlied - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think for alot of people in the west, they do associate the song with certain songs of the Third Reich, even though it's origins are not part of that era. Thanks for correcting us.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95
I really think some people look into shows WAY too hard. It's for entertainment!!!

Correct, it is entertainment; and entertainment means different things to different people. Look at Shakespears plays. How many books of critique and explanation and character study were written for each play.

Some people will go to a play, movie, TV show, and when they watch it, it's over.

Others will look into the characters and discuss them, and try to anticipate their next actions.

Others will look at them as a reminder of history.

Pan Am was an important airline in the U.S. history, and many people are interested in that history, so they want to discuss it. I venture to say that many of the young viewers have no idea of what the Berlin Airlift was all about, and the historical importance of that brief 11 months of history.

However one chooses to react to the Pan Am show is the correct way for that person.
I agree with you to a certain extent. I love History, and my daughter loves History as well - one of the reasons she and I visited Berlin in Nov 2009 for the 20th Anniversary of the Wall coming down. Historical accuracy in TV and movies is a good thing. But at the same time, this show is still basically 'Entertainment' and should be taken for what it is. It's a soap opera set during that time period combining some elements of history of the time period. For true historical shows, we have the History Channel. I do love your stories, however

Old 10-12-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
I think for alot of people in the west, they do associate the song with certain songs of the Third Reich, even though it's origins are not part of that era. Thanks for correcting us.
I am German and grew up knowing the words to that song. I never associated it with WW2. It's a shame really that people do connect it to that awful time.
I did love the scene in Pan Am where she sings it. Very emotional and good acting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV