Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 11:24 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,881,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That's true but after WWII and the men came home the women were had to go back to their homes and be housewives again so the men could take back their jobs.
This is what happened to my mother. She eventually returned to her job and spent 38 years with Western Electric (remember them?), with 9 years off when I was born.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Here's an interesting book on that very subject...

Not June Cleaver: women and gender in postwar America, 1945-1960
Joanne Jay Meyerowitz

Temple University Press, 1994 - Social Science - 411 pages

In the popular stereotype of post-World War II America, women abandoned their wartime jobs and contentedly retreated to the home.
Most were laid off, and didn't abandon those jobs on their own -- and they weren't happy about it, especially if they were single and in need of a paycheck.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
I have yet to be on a plane where the pilot was a female, AFAIK. I've only heard male voices announce, "This is your captain speaking..."
Allowed to become pilots is great, but how many actually go on to take those opportunities?
I've been on regional airlines with female pilots -- which is really cool when almost every passenger on the plane is also a woman.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Those were the days when passengers were also nice.
Too bad you never flew with those of us who used to fly to Lansing, MI for a convention every year -- we've actually given pilots ovations for their landings (we didn't even feel the wheels touch down on the tarmac).

Old 01-05-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Just a quick little off topic, I was just feeding my birds and my parrot sneezed and I, of course, said "God Bless you" and C-D is so ingrained in my brain I thought of this thread and Pan Am. I all of a sudden wondered what happened to saying (I don't know how to spell it) "Gazuntight"? (thought of you, Ilona) I was brought up saying that German word and it just came to me that it's disappeared from the American language now. Does it mean the same as "God Bless"? Maybe I will start saying it again and teach the kids at work a new word!
Our African Grey mimics my sneeze perfectly -- I always say 'bless you' when she does, hoping she'll say it back to me when I sneeze.

'Gezundheit' doesn't translate directly to God bless you -- it's basically wishing you health (in Yiddish, it's "sei gezundt" which basically means 'be healthy'). And you still hear gezundheit very often in the NYC area.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Senior with modest income here. Okay, who's upscale? Nielsen isn't interested in anyone over 50 anyway, so wouldn't care even IF my income was "upscale". Nielsen sent us something to fill out earlier in the year...never heard back after I sent it in. And yet...I sometimes find new products I like or change my preferences, in spite of my age.
CBS skews toward an older viewership -- and based on the ratings, they're doing something right. Look at the shows in the top 20 week to week and see how many are on CBS.

Networks ignore us at their own peril.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:15 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,396,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
Most were laid off, and didn't abandon those jobs on their own -- and they weren't happy about it, especially if they were single and in need of a paycheck.
This is why the reference said stereotype...

At Moore Dry Dock the preference was given first to head of household with children...

So yes, a single women would find herself at the bottom of the pecking order as contrasted to my neighbor who found herself a widow with two children... she did not loose employment because she was head of household with dependents.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:40 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,091,391 times
Quote:
Our African Grey mimics my sneeze perfectly -- I always say 'bless you' when she does, hoping she'll say it back to me when I sneeze.

'Gezundheit' doesn't translate directly to God bless you -- it's basically wishing you health (in Yiddish, it's "sei gezundt" which basically means 'be healthy'). And you still hear gezundheit very often in the NYC area.

My African Senegal mimics my sneezing perfectly too, Kathy. I say "Bless you" to him too, hoping someday he will say it back when I sneeze.

Don't forget, Pan Am returns this Sunday! Things don't sound too good for Collette and what'shisname in the romance department. Kate is very unhappy with her last assignment, Maggie falls for her politician and Laura took too long to like the co-pilot. Not spoilers, public reporting of the eppie.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,314,680 times
Quote:
Too bad you never flew with those of us who used to fly to Lansing, MI for a convention every year -- we've actually given pilots ovations for their landings (we didn't even feel the wheels touch down on the tarmac).
I took that trip once. It was the scariest thing I had ever encountered and I do not have a fear of flying. One of the things I remember was that before we got started, the flight and enjoy going up in small planes. The flight attendant asked us to redistribute our weight having some passengers change seats from one side to another.

I sat behind the pilot who was separated from the passengers only by a curtain that would not stay close. I amused myself by watching him fly the thing.

I also took this flight to a convention. It was Media West.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:40 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,314,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
This is why the reference said stereotype...

At Moore Dry Dock the preference was given first to head of household with children...

So yes, a single women would find herself at the bottom of the pecking order as contrasted to my neighbor who found herself a widow with two children... she did not loose employment because she was head of household with dependents.
From what I remember in my history studies and women in my own family, this was the exception rather than the rule.

Even though women flew planes throughout the US during WWII from one city to another, they did not get to keep their pilot status after the war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV