Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 01:21 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I don't shop at Neiman Marcus. Is their signature box white with a black ribbon?
No. Unless it's a brand new promotion for their collaboration with Target or packaging reserved for Grayson rich clients that their off the rack customers never see. That's just another layer added to the weirdness that was the "commercials".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 01:30 PM

884 posts, read 1,062,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaMermaid View Post
Yes, the loud music has always been present during the entire series drowning out dialogue. And when the actors speak softly, mumble and don't enunciate it only exacerbates the problem. I usually have my closed captioning on to give me a better chance of knowing what the actors are saying; but apparently even the captioner can't understand what the actors are saying either.

Many viewers have been complaining about the loud music since the series started, but I guess the show runners don't think it's an issue. My hearing is usually very keen. There is no reason my TV should be blaring just to hear what the actors are saying. Not to mention, that increasing the volume on my TV will only make the music problem much worse.
I've had this same problem and just thought maybe my hearing was getting worse over the last few weeks, but I've turned my TV up to "80" to make out the words to this show and "80" is loud on my TV.

Glad to know I'm not losing my hearing!

Old 11-13-2012, 01:31 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,028,365 times
My hearing is bad so I never noticed, Hahahaha!

I'm still intrigued and look forward to it even with the weird twists and turns.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Here is another area where I have tuned out: Jack's new bar-owning partner-because-of-what-Declan-did.....is he a drug dealer? So far, he has just edged-out Jack's liquor salesman, but is he a drug dealer? Why does he want that bar? He is interested in it being right on the docks.....fast-in-and-out for drug shipments????
I thought that at first but now am wondering if it is just prime real estate or something. I didn't quite catch what his brother said about the boats but I thought it was to the effect that they were another potential source of income. Drugs would make more sense though.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:58 PM

977 posts, read 1,109,517 times
I've liked the show since the beginning, but am definitely loosing interest.......not sure why. Maybe too many new or uninspired characters? IDK...just not following too well. I really cannot understand exactly how Mason Treadwell was framed....and why on earth he would agree to prison? Sure couldn't imagine him in a maximum security prison....wouldn't he be eaten alive? The show was new and different when it began...but am getting tired of spoiled rich people who rule the world...or think they do. I want to find someone to root for in all this....guess Jack, maybe Nolan, are my 2 guys. Beginning to care less what happens to anyone else....and really, that's not a good goal for the writing team, is it? Don't they need to engage our interest AND our involvement with the characters? Make us care about them?

Old 11-14-2012, 10:51 AM

313 posts, read 402,083 times
JLL i.e. Em's mom looks a little "slow". True, the electroshock, drugs, and life events would make a person age before their time, but really JLL is just annoying as heck.

Ugh, count me in as another one who didn't care for the commercials. The first time I fast fwded, then I saw Jack and Amanda dining, and thought WTH did I speed it up too much. So I went back and blecchhh...not cool!

It wouldn't be a bad idea to put the more annoying yappy side characters like Declan, Charlotte, creepy bar partners, Padma, and even Aiden, Amanda/Em's mom on a webisode or something so it's optional. Whatever it takes to get them off the show.
This whole tying into the show w/ NM ads is just obnoxious. I've never been able to afford Needless Markups, but after these ads even if I can one day, I'll pass.

I wanna see more Nolan w/ Em and on his own as well, but please no Padma! He's the conscience of the show/Em, and the actor does a wonderful job. I liked his hairstyle on S1 and I like this new one as well. He just has a really effortless charm and lights up the screen, IMO.

I'm still not sure about the Initiative..hope they don't get too side-tracked w/ that...

Old 11-14-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcatnip View Post
JLL i.e. Em's mom looks a little "slow". True, the electroshock, drugs, and life events would make a person age before their time, but really JLL is just annoying as heck.

Ugh, count me in as another one who didn't care for the commercials. The first time I fast fwded, then I saw Jack and Amanda dining, and thought WTH did I speed it up too much. So I went back and blecchhh...not cool!

It wouldn't be a bad idea to put the more annoying yappy side characters like Declan, Charlotte, creepy bar partners, Padma, and even Aiden, Amanda/Em's mom on a webisode or something so it's optional. Whatever it takes to get them off the show.
This whole tying into the show w/ NM ads is just obnoxious. I've never been able to afford Needless Markups, but after these ads even if I can one day, I'll pass.

I wanna see more Nolan w/ Em and on his own as well, but please no Padma! He's the conscience of the show/Em, and the actor does a wonderful job. I liked his hairstyle on S1 and I like this new one as well. He just has a really effortless charm and lights up the screen, IMO.

I'm still not sure about the Initiative..hope they don't get too side-tracked w/ that...
There is definitely a lot of side-tracking going on with this show these days.....so much side-tracking it almost seems impossible to neatly tie up loose ends before they start showing the episodes every other week, then every other month, then the season's over. I love the twists and turns, but so much side-tracking seems unneccessary at times. (especially the bar situation with Jack and Declan).

Old 11-15-2012, 08:21 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Here is another area where I have tuned out: Jack's new bar-owning partner-because-of-what-Declan-did.....is he a drug dealer? So far, he has just edged-out Jack's liquor salesman, but is he a drug dealer? Why does he want that bar? He is interested in it being right on the docks.....fast-in-and-out for drug shipments????
That new-bar-owning-guy was all part of a set up by Charlotte's ex-boyfriend to get back at Declan by taking the bar away from the guys. Don't know where that guy's brother is supposed to fit in. But now they're trying to portray the guy as sympathetic to Jack and Declan. Not sure where they're going with it. Maybe they're just showing another example of "revenge."

The only thing I liked about the N-M commercials (and I hated the concept) was that Declan was reading The Count of Monte Cristo, which was a nice touch. TCofMC is a classic tale of revenge, for those who haven't read it.

Otherwise, I agree that it's becoming too farfetched with too many side stories. It was fun when Emily was engineering peoples' downfall. Now it's just hard to follow and keep track of who is trying to get back at whom. For example, I don't know whose side Daniel is on and can't follow how Grayson Global is supposed to own half of Nolan Corp. or why Padma cared. And the chemistry between Padma and Nolan is just not there.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:46 AM

313 posts, read 402,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The only thing I liked about the N-M commercials (and I hated the concept) was that Declan was reading The Count of Monte Cristo, which was a nice touch. TCofMC is a classic tale of revenge, for those who haven't read it.
Ah, I missed that in my enthusiastic fast forwarding.
That is a nice touch, though Declan..really? Does he even know how to read? From all indications so far, he strikes me as rather dim. Next Charlotte will be reading Cousin Betty by Honoré de Balzac!

Quote:
For example, I don't know whose side Daniel is on and can't follow how Grayson Global is supposed to own half of Nolan Corp. or why Padma cared. And the chemistry between Padma and Nolan is just not there.
I didn't get that either - Nolan could lose his company just like that. Whaaa? I'm still not sure just where or how Padma fits in. I really dislike that character and storyline.

Only thing I can think of is they wanted to find a way to give Nolan screen time so all of a sudden Nolan goes off to his office when in S1 he barely left his house other than to go to the bar and be around Em. Poor casting too to choose an actress w/ whom Nolan doesn't have much on-screen chemistry.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
That new-bar-owning-guy was all part of a set up by Charlotte's ex-boyfriend to get back at Declan by taking the bar away from the guys. Don't know where that guy's brother is supposed to fit in. But now they're trying to portray the guy as sympathetic to Jack and Declan. Not sure where they're going with it. Maybe they're just showing another example of "revenge."

Otherwise, I agree that it's becoming too farfetched with too many side stories. It was fun when Emily was engineering peoples' downfall. Now it's just hard to follow and keep track of who is trying to get back at whom. For example, I don't know whose side Daniel is on and can't follow how Grayson Global is supposed to own half of Nolan Corp. or why Padma cared. And the chemistry between Padma and Nolan is just not there.
Very well explained! Thank you! I was so lost in this story line.....but it all makes sense now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV