Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

I know we've discussed the Dugger family at length. This is another quiverful family with 18 kids, homeschooling, conservative southern baptists, very similar to the Duggers. In the first 5 minutes of the show it was revealed that this family of 20 DOES NOT HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE! That is the height of irresponsibility IMO. Mom gets her prenatal care at a "Christian clinic." And they are actually "trying" to have more kids!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 05:05 PM

17 posts, read 19,682 times
Not only that the mother has no problem using medical science to MAKE more kids, like the progesterone cream etc. Their whole premise is that God will determine how many kids we have and we are to never hinder that, yet when God hinders the process or the whole deal, then it is ok to step in and play God.

These kinds of families have one huge problem....for one they look great on the out side and everyone seems to be obeying and "IN" order, and everything is running just smoothly. To tell you the truth with the right tools (you can even exclude God out of the picture) and right structure and atmosphere anyone could look like that. But who wants to? I don't...take anyone of them of a family of 20 and PUT THEM in the REAL WORLD and see how they do??? Not so well I guarantee it! That is why it works...NO peer pressure at all from anyone or anything...hmmm seems to me God made sure there was temptation for all humans, no one is perfect and to try and appear to be, on camera or not makes me sick...cause with these kinds of people comes holier than thou, judgmental, condemning and nitpicking attitudes unless you are a cookie cutter stepford wife.

There is so much wrong with these kinds of families I do not even know where to begin?

I thank God for our many differences and uniqueness that all kinds of people have to offer...as long as they have good character and integrity and respect...that is good enough in my book.

Last edited by Romans; 08-26-2011 at 05:18 PM..

Old 08-26-2011, 06:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
According to this article, they "negotiated with insurance companies" in regard to treatment for their kids so it doesn't look like they are doing this all by themselves. And the "free care" they get in the ER's is paid for by others who have medical insurance through higher charges added onto their bills. Whether or not they want to admit it, these people are relying on Society to pay for their choices.

Gil and Kelly Bates expecting NINETEENTH baby | Mail Online

Old 08-26-2011, 06:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Even though I don't agree with a lot of what this family and the Duggar's do (sheltering the kids from the world, the strict gender rolls, the tons of kids) I've figured, as long as they're supporting themselves, what business is it of mine? As soon as I heard the Bates mom say "we don't have health insurance" my opinion was changed forever. Think about the conservatives out there going on and on about the illegal immigrants and the poor minorities using the ER as a free clinic, and having more kids than they can support, when they had to look no further than one of their own to see this family of 20 doing it! It's just wrong.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Even though I don't agree with a lot of what this family and the Duggar's do (sheltering the kids from the world, the strict gender rolls, the tons of kids) I've figured, as long as they're supporting themselves, what business is it of mine? As soon as I heard the Bates mom say "we don't have health insurance" my opinion was changed forever. Think about the conservatives out there going on and on about the illegal immigrants and the poor minorities using the ER as a free clinic, and having more kids than they can support, when they had to look no further than one of their own to see this family of 20 doing it! It's just wrong.
Excellent point!

Old 08-26-2011, 10:42 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,275 times
Are they angling for a show now that Kate + 8 is off the air? They have to borrow money from their teenage son for groceries (who was very cute, set off my gaydar though)... They all seem happy, down to earth, kids are well-behaved etc. but they're indoctrinated since birth with no exposure to the outside world...imagine being 22 years old and not being allowed to hold hands or kiss a person of the opposite sex! And is there only one acceptable hairstyle for Quiverfull women, because Michelle Duggar and the Bates mom are virtually indistinguishable!

Old 08-26-2011, 10:51 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans View Post
Not only that the mother has no problem using medical science to MAKE more kids, like the progesterone cream etc. Their whole premise is that God will determine how many kids we have and we are to never hinder that, yet when God hinders the process or the whole deal, then it is ok to step in and play God.

These kinds of families have one huge problem....for one they look great on the out side and everyone seems to be obeying and "IN" order, and everything is running just smoothly. To tell you the truth with the right tools (you can even exclude God out of the picture) and right structure and atmosphere anyone could look like that. But who wants to? I don't...take anyone of them of a family of 20 and PUT THEM in the REAL WORLD and see how they do??? Not so well I guarantee it! That is why it works...NO peer pressure at all from anyone or anything...hmmm seems to me God made sure there was temptation for all humans, no one is perfect and to try and appear to be, on camera or not makes me sick...cause with these kinds of people comes holier than thou, judgmental, condemning and nitpicking attitudes unless you are a cookie cutter stepford wife.

There is so much wrong with these kinds of families I do not even know where to begin?

I thank God for our many differences and uniqueness that all kinds of people have to offer...as long as they have good character and integrity and respect...that is good enough in my book.
FYI the Duggar's are my husband's cousins. People have this crazy idea that these kids "do not know how to live in the real world" when that is simply not the case. You see a very very small glimpse into their life so you can't really say how they are or how they live with accuracy.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:25 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
--THAT'S what i've been saying--it's not just illegal immigrants using the system

Old 08-27-2011, 10:27 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
FYI the Duggar's are my husband's cousins. People have this crazy idea that these kids "do not know how to live in the real world" when that is simply not the case. You see a very very small glimpse into their life so you can't really say how they are or how they live with accuracy.
what a nice bunch of kids--ignore the naysayers on this forum--God bless that family!

Old 08-27-2011, 10:56 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
while it isn't exclusive to large families, something that seems to happen more in large families is delegating too much parental/adult responsibility to the kids. I believe kids of reasonable age should have responsibilities & a few chores, I also believe turning kids into "workhorses" is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV